Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 18-05-19
Valued Member

Decided to give my valves a check and adjust along with replacing the injector seals, fuel pipe seals, rocker cover gasket and oil cap seal. Had a small seep of oil from one of the injector seals so though why not and do the lot. Whilst I was there replaced top chain guide and timing chain tensioner. Part numbers below for 2008 NS purchased from Partsouq.com

Injector oil seals 4.........MN158385
Fuel pipe seal 4.........1052A099
Rocker cover gasket.......ME192209
Oil cap seal ...........MD103148
Timing chain tensioner..........1141A045
Timing chain tensioner seal..........ME193622
Upper chain guide.............1140A026

So my NS had slight diesel clatter hence why doing this work. Paj has 240000kms. The upper chain guide had marks on it, probably 1 mm deep and end of timing chain tensioner looked pretty much ok. Vehicle now quieter with no clatter anymore. Some of the valve were a bit loose.

Couple of tip, hints below

I removed the plastic fan to get better access to the crank bolt to turn the moter, fan only has 4 bolts and easy once the upper fan shroud is taken off.
To clarify the crank is clockwise turns the cams anti clockwise.
I used straight feeler gauges but think an offset set would make it easier.

On a side note, after fitting my Paj with the resistor mod around 2 years ago for the EGR when I took off the intake and EGR it was clean as...........so happy with that.

Apart from that its all mentioned in this post. Big thanks to Goodsy and all who contributed in this thread.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 19-09-19

Any know how to view the images?

Have add:
ARB bulbar, Runva 11XP, Redarc Tow Pro, Milford Cargo Barrier, Bushskinz bash plates(intercooler, sump, gearbox and transfer case), Bushskinz rocksliders/sidesteps, two pairs of cross bar roof racks,
Old 21-09-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdboat View Post
Any know how to view the images?
I complained about the images the other day on another page. Seems Photobucket washes them out after a while and also breaks the link.

I use imgbb.com but when you post you have to select Bulletin Board for the code to work here and delete the [img] and [/img] at the start and end otherwise it has these either side of the image. I'll contact one of the admins and suggest people use that instead.
Old 06-12-19

Default Diesel injector de-pressurise

Can anyone tell me if I have to depressurise the injector system before undoing it for a manifold clean and tappet adjustment? Do they retain high pressure like an injected petrol engine?
Old 06-12-19
Valued Member

No it doesnt so all good.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 09-12-19

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintas View Post
No it doesn't so all good.
Thanks for that, good to know.

I'm going to do valve clearances and manifold clean together as it's all apart anyway and the car has 235k kms on it and no mention of ever having a manifold clean (tappets were done).

Never worked on a common-rail diesel before. Do I just get the 'valve adjustment seal kit' from MM? I don't need the 'Injector Washer Rocker Cover Gasket Seal Kit" do I? I'd only need this if I have to replace injectors?

I've read through the instruction files I've found and assume I don't have to touch the actual injectors?
Old 09-12-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzhere View Post
Thanks for that, good to know.

I'm going to do valve clearances and manifold clean together as it's all apart anyway and the car has 235k kms on it and no mention of ever having a manifold clean (tappets were done).

Never worked on a common-rail diesel before. Do I just get the 'valve adjustment seal kit' from MM? I don't need the 'Injector Washer Rocker Cover Gasket Seal Kit" do I? I'd only need this if I have to replace injectors?

I've read through the instruction files I've found and assume I don't have to touch the actual injectors?
I think you just need the valve adjustment seal kit. Part no. on my last invoice was AU900093 for $148 + GST.
Note if it is the 6th time the fuel pipes are removed you will need those also.

Last edited by spot01; 09-12-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-12-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot01 View Post
I think you just need the valve adjustment seal kit. Part no. on my last invoice was AU900093 for $148 + GST.
Note if it is the 6th time the fuel pipes are removed you will need those also.
Thanks for that. My car has 235,000 km on it and had log book services by a mechanic 400km from Perth but only has one record in the 'injector pipe removed page' so should be fine. I have all the service records and it only shows up o there once as well. I'll be interested to see what the manifold looks like and the tappet clearance as I can only see where they were done once.
Old 09-12-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzhere View Post
Thanks for that. My car has 235,000 km on it and had log book services by a mechanic 400km from Perth but only has one record in the 'injector pipe removed page' so should be fine. I have all the service records and it only shows up o there once as well. I'll be interested to see what the manifold looks like and the tappet clearance as I can only see where they were done once.
That is a very long time between tappet adjustments (compared to the MMAL 30k intervals) - when was the last one done? I see you are already onto the issue where some mechanics don't enter all the pipe removals into the book.

It will be interesting to see how far out they are - if you can post the "before" gap measurements I'm sure a lot of people will be interested.
Old 09-12-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot01 View Post
That is a very long time between tappet adjustments (compared to the MMAL 30k intervals) - when was the last one done? I see you are already onto the issue where some mechanics don't enter all the pipe removals into the book.

It will be interesting to see how far out they are - if you can post the "before" gap measurements I'm sure a lot of people will be interested.

My ex Police Paj had no record of valve clearance checks done when I purchased it with 55,000km on the clock. It had been serviced at the same mechanic in a 1 horse town in far north west Vic.

I finally got around to checking clearances at the 90,000km service, measuring as I went to determine how far out they were.

Two exhaust valves were 2 thou out. That was it.
Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.