Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 14-09-19

Default Replacing oils. And a question about fuel tanks

What type of oil is required for the gearbox and diffs in a 2000 model NL. Also I have an extra fuel tank with a second filler. Anyone know if these have a pump in themto get back to the main tank or does it siphon.
Old 14-09-19
Valued Member

Auto or manual? Is it limited slip rear diff? (Sticker on diff if you're not sure)

If you have the vehicle/glovebox manual the oils are listed there. I can list them depending on the questions above though

Last edited by disco stu; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:41 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

One way to check is search for the below link. You can change the Nulon to any brand, Castrol, Penrite etc etc. Once in it you search for your vehicle then it'll give what oil specs etc are recommended.

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/NulonAus/

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
Auto or manual? Is it limited slip rear diff? (Sticker on diff if you're not sure)

If you have the vehicle/glovebox manual the oils are listed there. I can list them depending on the questions above though
Has lsd on the fill plug. Itís a manual. Sadly donít have the manual
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesy View Post
Also I have an extra fuel tank with a second filler. Anyone know if these have a pump in themto get back to the main tank or does it siphon.
The second tank is under the rear passenger side & will have a pump to transfer back into the main tank. The pump could be internal or external.
Below the fuel filler in the wheel arch, you can unbolt the inner arch flare to see how all the hoses are connected, perhaps post some photos here of the filler & tanks if you're not sure.

Cheers
1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II, 100AH dual battery & db140i isolator, Roof basket, 2.5m & 1.4m awnings, 22" LED bar & eBay HIDs, rear LED work lights, Waeco CF40, custom storage shelf, 50L aux tank.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

For my 99 Escape, manual.

Castrol LSX 90 in both diffs.

I’ll have to confirm it but pretty sure I used Nulon Smooth Shift 75w-85, full synthetic GL-4 for the gearbox and transfer.

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Yes, gl4 for gearbox and transfer case, gl5 for front diff, or whatever you used in rear diff or gearbox. Front diff doesn't sound fussy
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

To add to this topic-gearbox oil. I gather castrol made the VMX-M for the mitsubishi boxes, but how important is it to use that particular oil?

If you go by the other specs I thought any old GL4 would suit.

Reason I ask is that supercheap has the VMX (not VMX-M) on clearance for $24/4L which is about half the price of VMX-M at the moment
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Been doing some research-it looks like the VMX-M is designed to overcome hard shifting in the mits boxes, particularly between 1st and 2nd when cold. The VMX doesn't have this additive, so could lead to hard shifting.

I'm then reading about Nulon G70 additive also helping with this issue, and it seems some even add it to the VMX-M oil. I'm not sure if adding this to standard gear oil turns it into the equivalent of VMX-M though
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Oh, G70. Forgot about that.
Goes in my gearbox and transfer case too.

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.