• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pittsy87
    • Dec 2015
    • Melbourne

URGENT no caravan brake light output

Hi All

Got van going to vicroads for a transfer and inspection tomorrow morning and now there is no power on my brake light wire at my trailer plug (car end)
    Also my redarc towpro elite is flashing green constantly and not applying trailer brakes when you push the brake pedal. (Unsure if this is related to no power on tralier brake light wire???)
    My car brake lights are still working fine and the override button still applies power to electric brakes on van but not working via brake pedal.
    Any help would be extremely helpful or i will have to cancel inspection in the morning if i cant get it to work tonight.
    2014 NW VRX
    ARB Deluxe bar colour coded | Bushskinz rock sliders | Rasslar brush bars | Bushskinz under body protection and rear bar | DominatorX 12,00lbs winch | 9" LED spotties | 32" Lightbar mounted on roof | 2" Billstein Lovells combo lift | 7 din rocker switch mod | Dual battery readout in cab | Boo Boos intercooler guard | EGR block | Provent 200 catch can | LED interior conversion | Dual batteries | Redarc SBi12 | Spare wheel lift | Factory MM towbar | Donaldson secondary fuel filter
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Do any of the lights (indicators / tail light) work on the caravan?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Do the car's hazard lights work - if not, check fuse & fusible link - there is a thread about this common issue.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Muzza
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Nsw

[QUOTE=Pittsy87;615836]Hi All

My car brake lights are still working fine and the override button still applies power to electric brakes on van but not working via brake pedal.
        /QUOTE]

I would suggest to check the wire from the brake pedal to the red arc unit, as it sounds like it ain’t getting a brake signal.
        Muzza
        2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
        2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
        2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

If you have a genuine MM bar you probably have the genuine MM trailer harness, which I believe includes a separate ECU to "relay" signals to the trailer, rather than piggy-back off the existing circuits. If this ECU loses power, no trailer lights will work.

Can you confirm all other trailer lights work?

Originally posted by Pittsy87 View Post
          Also my redarc towpro elite is flashing green constantly and not applying trailer brakes when you push the brake pedal.
          Have you checked the Redarc manual?

I can't get to Redarc's website (seems to be down) but I found a PDF of the manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=19#manual

If the LED is flashing green, it may be because the Redarc didn't start up properly. The suggested fix is to disconnect the black wire from the battery, wait 1 minute, then reconnect.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pittsy87
            • Dec 2015
            • Melbourne

Hi guys.
            Yes all other lights and hazards are working perfectly on paj and van, its only the brake signal not arriving at the paj trailer socket.

And in regards to the electeic brakes i have tried the above mentioned what the book says about disconnecting power for at least one minute and reconnecting and still no good.

Looks like its an issue with the paj wiring somewhere all of a sudden or its canbus coz i just hooked up van to the old mans 80 series and everything works fine including his old school red arc brakes.

I do have the factory mm trailer loom and i also purchased the factory mm electric brake loom to go with the red arc brake module thinking this would be the best way to do it using as much mm factory supplied looms but something aint right.

The weird part is when i picked the van up from tassie a few weeks back everyrhing worked when i tested it on the van at the car yard.
            Strange......
            Looks like its a job for an auto elec one day soon.

Thanks for your responses!!
            2014 NW VRX
            ARB Deluxe bar colour coded | Bushskinz rock sliders | Rasslar brush bars | Bushskinz under body protection and rear bar | DominatorX 12,00lbs winch | 9" LED spotties | 32" Lightbar mounted on roof | 2" Billstein Lovells combo lift | 7 din rocker switch mod | Dual battery readout in cab | Boo Boos intercooler guard | EGR block | Provent 200 catch can | LED interior conversion | Dual batteries | Redarc SBi12 | Spare wheel lift | Factory MM towbar | Donaldson secondary fuel filter

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Have you checked the wires inside the back of the trailer socket on the Paj? Unsure if this base is open or sealed, but over the years I've found a few either with a loose wire or so much crap inside that contact is lost. Make sure all light switches are off & be careful not to short anything out if you have a power feed in there.

Re the ECU for the trailer wiring - it lives inside the trim inside the back door. You can hear the relays clicking each time a light is activated from the car. You can hear it yourself if there is no other noise around & your hearing is good, or get someone to push the brake pedal whilst your listen inside the back door opening. Try indicators & other lights to hear what it sounds like, then listen for the brake click. (I just checked this in my car & I can hear the clicks)
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Pittsy87
                • Dec 2015
                • Melbourne

Yes mate.
                Checked paj 12 pin trailer socket wiring and also van 12 pin plug and everything was fine.
                I only swapped my 7 pin to a 12 pin 2 weeks ago so wouldnt have thought anything was wrong with it, which there wasnt.

Will have to listen out for relays in the back door like you said
                Do they only activate when the trailer is connected or always when the brake is pressed or indicators used etc
                2014 NW VRX

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pittsy87 View Post
                  Yes mate.
                  Checked paj 12 pin trailer socket wiring and also van 12 pin plug and everything was fine.
                  I only swapped my 7 pin to a 12 pin 2 weeks ago so wouldnt have thought anything was wrong with it, which there wasnt.

Will have to listen out for relays in the back door like you said
                  Do they only activate when the trailer is connected or always when the brake is pressed or indicators used etc
                  They make clicks without a trailer connected. Parking lights are easiest to hear as indicator clicks from the dash may confuse.
                  Did the trailer brake lights work after you changed the pins?
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Morville
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Buxton Vic

Can I suggest applying 12v to the red wire at the back of the redarc unit (wire from brake pedal). If it now works this will indicate if the wiring or brake pedal switch is faulty.
                    Peter

Comment

• Garc
                      • May 2015
                      • Perth

I had exactly this problem last week. Did all that you have done. Found it was the connection on the positive battery terminal. The terminal had some corrosion - cleaned it, put a better washer on and now have a coating on it.
                      Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Mike DiD
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007

If you're using the Mitsu wiring harness, the ECU is above the right rear wheel arch - just pull out the plastic trim around the third row window and you can reach down to it. There is no trailer wiring inside the rear door.

There is a fuse INSIDE the wiring harness that connects to the Brake Pedal Switch - this has been to blow.
                        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• deekay
                          • Oct 2009
                          • Perth WA

I have had this same problem & fixed it by getting a small screw driver and opening the space a fraction in the pins in the trailer plug so that they made good contact when plugged into the socket on the car.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X