• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Do you want a 5th gear lockout feature?

I've had a request for a feature to stop the transmission going into 5th gear when driving through hilly country, to stop hunting between 4th and 5th. Peter - you don't need to reply

Is anyone else interested in this?
    It's essentially the same as the old fashioned overdrive "off" button.

My idea would be to 'double click' the LED switch to toggle the mode overdrive ON and OFF. The LED would flash 4 times when on, and 5 times when off. Between engine starts it would reset to OFF

What's the opinion? Anyone think they need this feature?
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

I like that idea. Wouldn't it also be good for towing when you don't want 5th ?
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• m_and_m
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
        I like that idea. Wouldn't it also be good for towing when you don't want 5th ?
        Yes.
        Sometimes you do want 5th when towing as you can save on fuel.
        Can always use SPORT too depending on condition.
        2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
        Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

I use sport to hold it in 4th but change to D when going through a town so that the car will change up when required. I've often forgotten to shift back to sport when hitting the 100k zone again so if i had an option to stay in D but not go to 5th, that would solve that problem.

I do like the point about towing in 5th with the TC locked.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

With Auto Mate, 5th gear does not change up until about 78kph on flat roads and light throttle positions. When I was doing the testing with a 1900kg trailer through the hills and up the SE freeway I did not find the need to override the locked 5th gear when it was selected by Auto Mate. The only time I over rode Auto Mate was on steep descents and you get better engine braking and greatly improved ATF cooling.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

Sounds good OJ. One thing I'm not sure on in the video, is the light an indication that it's locked or just that Automate is on? He says a couple of times that it's locked but I couldn't figure out how he knew, apart from maybe checking the revs.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Sounds good OJ. One thing I'm not sure on in the video, is the light an indication that it's locked or just that Automate is on? He says a couple of times that it's locked but I couldn't figure out how he knew, apart from maybe checking the revs.

In Auto Mate the LED pulses until the ATF is up to temperature (40C) and the dash display is "D", once up to temp the LED stays ON and indicates that Auto Mate is doing its thing, you do not need to know if the TC is locked up or not, but the dash indicator displays the current gear so you can see which gear you are in at anyone time. When in Auto Mate the TC rarely unlocks once over about 15-20kph and in 2nd gear.

In Lockup Mate mode the LED flashes if the TC is not locked to remind you to change down a gear, when you change down a gear the LED goes "OFF" but the dash display still displays which gear you are in.

When Auto Mate is turned "OFF" then the LED is off and the dash gear diplay indictes "D".

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

Thanks for the clarification OJ.

Comment

• PeterC51
                    • Dec 2015
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                    I've had a request for a feature to stop the transmission going into 5th gear when driving through hilly country, to stop hunting between 4th and 5th. Peter - you don't need to reply

Is anyone else interested in this?
                    It's essentially the same as the old fashioned overdrive "off" button.

My idea would be to 'double click' the LED switch to toggle the mode overdrive ON and OFF. The LED would flash 4 times when on, and 5 times when off. Between engine starts it would reset to OFF

What's the opinion? Anyone think they need this feature?

Hell yes. PLEASE!
                    Peter
                    MY10 PB XLS auto, MML alloy bullbar, Dobinsons suspension 2" lift, Bushskinz plates, ARB aluminium roof rack, 2nd battery in rear guard, MML towbar, BFG A/T tyres, Clearview mirrors, 80 ch UHF, WaterWatch alarm, AutoMate, Steinbaur chip etc.

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

Any updates on this guys ?

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Any updates on this guys ?

As of a few days ago, Marshall was waiting on hardware to be delivered from Japan to start production of the Challenger Auto-Mate. Once the parts have arrived and AM8 #1 is built and bench tested it will be fitted to my Challenger for double checking in vehicle.

Everyone has been very patient, but we have not been happy to release Auto-Mate until we were both happy with it. This has taken much longer than we expected, Lockup Mate was simple by comparison, a huge amount of testing and reprogramming has been required to get Auto-Mate to a level that is as good as Lockup Mate when you really get the manual gear changes correct, it is almost 10,000kms just on Auto-Mate development.

It is not perfect in every condition no, but no automatic that I have driven is!
                        To remind myself how good it is, I turn AM8 OFF for a few days and then I really notice how bad the factory programing really is.

I still prefer the control of the semi manual mode using either the sports shift or paddles, when I am off road, on gravel roads, steep descents or very windy roads as I can select the gear I want to be in and hold that gear rather than waiting for the Auto Mate to react when conditions change. Around the city, suburbs and general touring duties the trans is always in Auto-Mate auto mode.

Has it been worth all the time and effort?

For me yes, as it has transformed the Challenger is all driving conditions, reduced ATF, AIT and engine coolant temperatures, and improved fuel economy. It is a much nicer drive than the factory program, more responsive and is in the right gear when you need it to be 99.99% of the time.

OJ.
                        Last edited by old Jack; 28-10-18, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• Ian H
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2015
                          • Melbourne

Sounds good, thanks OJ.

Comment

• thorby
                            • Oct 2018
                            • Adelaide

Excellent, just recently bought a LS PB Challenger and have come across all this info while searching for ways to improve the auto.

Can't wait to get an automate!

Very interesting reading the journey so far, fantastic effort by you guys!

Comment

• m_and_m
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2010

Progress update on auto-mate for Challenger

The finished prototype unit has been in OJs car now for several weeks now.
                              The SW is 100% functionally complete and we're doing final testing.
                              An issue uncovered last week is we think the adaptive learning is changing the amount of smoothness we can achieve. ie auto-mate works very well for a few days and then get a little bit rougher. Go back to normal DRIVE for a few days and then switch auto-mate ON again and all is OK again. The roughness is only noticeable if you're not towing, like when you're driving around town. With a load on the back it's fine. I have some ideas on how to resolve this.

The production parts have now arrived, and I now need to finish making 4 production units to install in Adelaide based cars.
                              Once these are confirmed ok and the adaptive learning quirk is solved, it will be fully released.
                              If you need a lockup-kit for a big upcoming trip, you can purchase a lockup-mate and I'll offer an upgrade it to an auto-mate in the near future.

Status on the Pajero version is here

Marshall
                              Last edited by m_and_m; 02-11-18, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Dicko1
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2014
                                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                                The finished prototype unit has been in OJs car now for several weeks now.
                                The SW is 100% functionally complete and we're doing final testing.
                                An issue uncovered last week is we think the adaptive learning is changing the amount of smoothness we can achieve. ie auto-mate works very well for a few days and then get a little bit rougher. Go back to normal DRIVE for a few days and then switch auto-mate ON again and all is OK again. The roughness is only noticeable if you're not towing, like when you're driving around town. With a load on the back it's fine. I have some ideas on how to resolve this.

The production parts have now arrived, and I now need to finish making 4 production units to install in Adelaide based cars.
                                Once these are confirmed ok and the adaptive learning quirk is solved, it will be fully released.
                                If you need a lockup-kit for a big upcoming trip, you can purchase a lockup-mate and I'll offer an upgrade it to an auto-mate in the near future.

Marshall

Dont worry too much about the Challenger mob...We Pajero owners need the upgrade!....lLOL. Good job...will make the Challenger a better car to drive.
                                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X