• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Exhaust Temp and Boost gauges – VDO special and where to fit sensors

In the not too distant future I will have to put a new exhaust on my vehicle – probably from Beaudesert Exhaust – and thought at the same time I’d add an exhaust temperature and a turbo boost gauge as I have a Steinbauer chip here to fit that I bought from a forum member.

When I was a young bloke VDO gauges were pretty highly regarded and recently I came across this ...

http://www.gauge-shop.com.au/catalog...bo-egt-special.

Does anyone know anything about the gauges or the supplier. It looks like it is a kit – a pyro and a boost – oh, and the 0-15 psi would be plenty, wouldn’t it !!

Also, where do you blokes reckon the pyro should be fitted – pre or post turbo – an article I read reckons there is about 200 degrees C difference between the two.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
  • Betz
    • May 2012
    • 'stralia

I have fitted the dodge ebay pillar pod mount and ordered digital autogauge boost and egt gauges....

not sure how these will go but will probobly just mount everything and let the dyno guy position the read sensors.
    2001 NM 2.8tdi GL, 5 spd Manual, MM Bullbar, Dual Batt, 400w Inverter, Boo's intercooler, sump and tranny guards, Dobinsons HD raised springs, Strut/Spring spacers, Bilstein shocks, Front Aussie Locker, 255/85x16 Cooper Discoverer S/T, much more to come....

Comment

• NFT5
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Canberra

Fit the EGT sensor after the turbo. For boost, T off MAP sensor line.

15psi. I ordered a 20psi boost gauge by mistake

That VDO gauge would want to be pretty good for that money. The Autogauge ones aren't too bad but their Racetech line with stepper motors are much more stable. Don't know about the LED ones.
      Last edited by NFT5; 27-06-14, 01:30 AM.
      Chris

Comment

• kibz
        • Jul 2007
        • Melb, Victoria

I run the VDO gauges with the Boost gauge being 0-30 PSI. The max boost of the Pajero is around 19 PSI and I often reach that under normal load taking off from lights and in the bush. Once cruising the Boost gauge runs at 6 - 8 PSI.

My EGT is after the turbo about 100-150mm as I didn't want anything to fall off the sensor and into the turbo while fitting or after a period of time.

I'm sure I got a better deal off E-bay as a package deal for both gauges.
        Attached Files
        Cheers,
        Paul

Comment

• MrMaxi
          • Oct 2012
          • SE Melbourne

If you change your mind on that chip let me know
          NP 04 DiD GLS, Dual batteries, 2" lift, egr blank, 265 75 16 General Grabbers, nudge bar Narva 200 spotties, Double Din conversion.

Comment

• GHendo
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Northern NSW

Originally posted by kibz View Post
            I run the VDO gauges with the Boost gauge being 0-30 PSI. The max boost of the Pajero is around 19 PSI and I often reach that under normal load taking off from lights and in the bush. Once cruising the Boost gauge runs at 6 - 8 PSI.

My EGT is after the turbo about 100-150mm as I didn't want anything to fall off the sensor and into the turbo while fitting or after a period of time.

I'm sure I got a better deal off E-bay as a package deal for both gauges.
            Paul, where did you get that pillar mount - it looks pretty good ?

This looks like the ebay site ...

Geoff
            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Uncle Fester
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Boambee East NSW

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
              Also, where do you blokes reckon the pyro should be fitted – pre or post turbo – an article I read reckons there is about 200 degrees C difference between the two. Geoff
              I have a B/D exhaust on my NT and the Dump Pipe has a EGT blank in it already. See picture below.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-06-14, 02:22 PM.
              NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• Goodsy
                Who ya gunna call....
                • Dec 2010
                • Hervey Bay

Boost gauge needs to be 0-30 psi. Without a chip your boost would already peak near 15 psi.
                I run a 0-30psi and (yes it's an NS) peaks around the 18-19 psi. 15 being normal under load.
                .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• dhula
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • South of Perth

Have got VDO gauges from the gauge shop and was quick and easy sale + delivery. Bit of a pain for after sales support when a temp sensor wasn't doing what it was supposed to be doing - for the $14 it cost to replace the sensor I got one locally as it cost me more in time going back and forth trying to explain to him/them the sensor was at fault and get a replacement.

Have got VDO gauges from the ebay store - Parts and Bits. Prices work out a bit better for the same products and after sales support was easy as pie. I did use the part numbers out fo the VDO catalog and add a message to my ebay order so I was sure to get what I wanted.
                  2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                  2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• GHendo
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                    I have a B/D exhaust on my NT and the Dump Pipe has a EGT blank in it already. See picture below.
                    Thanks for all the replies.

Fester, I was wondering if there would be a place for the EGT sensor in the Beaudesert system – I was going to ask them to put one in but looks like I don’t have to.

I had no idea the boost would go over 15 psi. – just as well I asked - thought it would always be under that.

The eBay store looks like the way to go.

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

• dhula
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • South of Perth

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                      Thanks for all the replies.

Fester, I was wondering if there would be a place for the EGT sensor in the Beaudesert system – I was going to ask them to put one in but looks like I don’t have to.
                      Doesn't hurt to ask anyways, at least that way they know you defo want the bung put in.
                      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X