• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sticko
    • Sep 2008
    • Emerald, QLD

NM timing belt tensioner pulley

I am in the process of fitting a new timing belt to my 2002 pajero. The Haynes workshop manual says to turn the tensioner pulley anti-clockwise to tension the belt, however from the photos provided in the manual it appears to have been turned clockwise. I have tried both directions and clockwise definitely seems the better looking way to me, as it is pushing the belt more in the middle. Anti-clockwise seems to push down too low on the timing belt near the crankshaft . I really want to get this right as I don't wish to go back in there later.
    Apart from this everything seems to be going well and I would appreciate to hear from anyone who has done this job before.
    Thanks, Sticko
    2002 GLS , 3.5 V6 Manual Pajero. Alloy bullbar, towbar, Polyair bags, otherwise very stock standard.
  • Ricstar
    • Mar 2008
    • Brisbane

Have a look at John char's post.

Cheers
    03 NP Exceed 3.5 Auto - LPG Inj, Tinting, 2.5t tow, Piranha / Remco dual battery setup, Maxxis 771 265/70/R16 - LT, GME 3420 UHF, 2" lift Kings and Bilstien?s, Engel 40L, Custom rear shelf, one wife, one child, Jayco Swift, no boat, And a Toy Poodle who prefers to ride in the Paj over the Commodore (My Mitsubishi Puppy).
    Xmas list, Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Smartbar

Comment

• sticko
      • Sep 2008
      • Emerald, QLD

Thanks Ricstar for forwarding on Johns excellent instruction for timing belt changes. It still doesn't clear up which way the adjusting pulley should be turned although I am almost certain that by turning it clockwise and into the belt is the correct way, and that the manual is incorrect.
      2002 GLS , 3.5 V6 Manual Pajero. Alloy bullbar, towbar, Polyair bags, otherwise very stock standard.

Comment

• RoyHarvey
        • Mar 2008
        • Adelaide

Tension Pulley

Hi Sticko
        I did the belt on our NM about 3 or 4 months ago and can recall the same concern.
        Just had another look at the manual and it does appear conflicting. Paid $10 for my disk and it's a big help for most things, but this did cause some angst!
        Pretty sure I bit the bullet in the end and applied the torque clockwise as shown in diagram AX1125CA, see clockwise direction for the 4.4 NM tensioning torque.
        Also if you have another look at John Char's post there is one photo at least that can be enlarged and you will see it's rotated clockwise.
        Hope this helps.
        Cheers Roy
        2016 NX Pajero GLX
        Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• john_char
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Perth - Not far north of the River

I can confirm that you turn the pulley clockwise. Maybe I should have been a little bit clearer.

John
          Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

• adrianp
            • May 2008
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by RoyHarvey View Post
            Hi Sticko
            I did the belt on our NM about 3 or 4 months ago and can recall the same concern.
            Just had another look at the manual and it does appear conflicting. Paid $10 for my disk and it's a big help for most things, but this did cause some angst!
            Pretty sure I bit the bullet in the end and applied the torque clockwise as shown in diagram AX1125CA, see clockwise direction for the 4.4 NM tensioning torque.
            Also if you have another look at John Char's post there is one photo at least that can be enlarged and you will see it's rotated clockwise.
            Hope this helps.
            Cheers Roy
            Hi Roy,
            do you know a method to apply the 4.4 Nm prescribed torque without the special tool?
            cheers,
            Adrian
            AdrianP
            2014 NW Exceed, 2015 NX GLS

Comment

• RoyHarvey
              • Mar 2008
              • Adelaide

Tension Pulley

HI Adrian
              It's a bit rough, but as I recall my method was:-
              Set torque wrench to 4.4NM. Grip a bolt in the vice and 'calibrate' a feel for the load. Then slip a couple of snug pins into the holes in the pulley and use a screwdriver of suitable length to apply 'torque feel' to tension the pulley.
              If you're not keen on that, it wouldn't take long to make a crude/simple tool.
              Cheers Roy
              2016 NX Pajero GLX

Comment

• Rob
                • Aug 2008

Hi Sticko,

Definately clockwise to tension, anti clockwise tension when tightening the tensioner pulley bolt.

Circlip pliers with a 90 degree bend are also good for the job of holding on tension, providing they give clearance to tighten the bolt.

When you don't have the Mitsubishi tool I just do it by feel and check the hydraulic tensioner gap at the end. Should be in your book, its the distance from the tensioner body to the end of the tensioner shaft.

If that measurement is out, simply remove tension off your tensioner in situ with small allen key and re adjust.

Good luck.

Comment

• sticko
                  • Sep 2008
                  • Emerald, QLD

Thanks everyone for your input. This forum is such an excellent way to tap a lot of experience, I am only new to it. I will have to contact Haynes to point out this error in their manual as it is sure to confuse others.

I had already decided to go ahead with tensioning the pulley clockwise into the belt. If anyone is going to be doing this job, I would recommend changing the water pump every belt change. It simply isn't worth all of this work to have to go back later if the pump starts leaking. My pump was starting to lose a little coolant out of the tell tale, so I delayed the job until I could get hold of a water pump. ($207.00 for a genuine kit). Also I was a bit slack as I have just clocked over 115000 km and looking at the old belt, it was in very good order, with a fair bit of life still left. I am sure the manufacturer allows a fair bit of a safety margin for the belt life, although I didn't want to push it too far.

As for tensioning the pulley, I did use a pair of 90 degree circlip pliers to tension the pulley which worked OK. Just need to be careful to hold the pulley tight as it tries to move in tighter as the bolt is tightened. I didn't have a tension wrench to use but by the gap specs(4.8mm - 5.5mm tensioner protrusion), it is correct.
                  Thanks again,
                  Sticko.

Comment

• M Howden
                    • Sep 2008

Timing Belt

Hi sticko

I have just replaced the timing belt on my NM two weeks ago
                    if you follow the instructions from the pdf I got from the internet it explains it well, I followed this to the T and all is good

The main thing to do is to get the tension right on the bottom tensioner
                    that?s the one that you yes set at 4.4nm

I didn?t and had to pull it all down again

The biggest pain in the a#! is having to pull the power steer pump off and the aircon pump just to get the front pulley assem off

One other important thing is the hydraulic tensioner that you have to put the pin in make sure that when you have tensioned the belt correctly you should nearly be able to put the pin back in the hole of the hydraulic tensioner when you have finished

And a Big one rotate the crank a couple of times before you atemt to start the car so you know you have the timing right (dont wont to bend a valve)

Hope this all makes sense for you

Good luck

Comment

• sticko
                      • Sep 2008
                      • Emerald, QLD

Hi M Howden,
                      That's an excellent attachment you have posted, I have saved it for future reference. Where do you guys find this stuff?.

Yeah you are right, the air con compressor is a mongrel to get off. It has been a good learning experience and will be heaps easier next time round.

Anyway my vehicle is finished and running sweet. Now I am going fishing for two weeks over the school holidays.
                      Thanks everyone.

Comment

• wapajeronm
                        • Dec 2007
                        • Perth, WA

Can i ask how long you guys took to do the whole job of timing belt change.. And total costs.

Thanks

Comment

• sticko
                          • Sep 2008
                          • Emerald, QLD

Wapajeronm,
                          I took ages, but I had a bit of stop/start waiting for parts as I am not in a major centre. Realistically though allow yourself a good day, I will do it on a weekend next time just to give myself a spare day to allow for any unforseen problems. There are probably some out there who can do it in half the time, but with this job I believe it is better to take it steady and get it right.
                          I will give you my costs, although depending on pulleys, tensioner condition etc it could be more. Also I am in a country area so my prices are possibly higher. I also found the timing belt and water pump kit to be cheaper than the aftermarket stuff that repco quoted me. The water pump kit comes with two gaskets and an o-ring, but I needed the extra gasket for the thermostat housing above the water pump, which isn't in the kit.

Timing belt (genuine part) -- $154.40
                          Accessory belt -- $ 68.00
                          Water pump kit (genuine part) -- $ 207.00
                          Gasket for thermostat housing -- $ 8.12
                          Total -- $437.52

Also add on whatever coolant you decide to re-fill with. I know some also like to do cam shaft seals but as mine were nice and dry I didn't like to touch something that is not a problem.
                          Good luck,
                          Sticko

Comment

• Pagey
                            • Dec 2007
                            • Ballarat

Hi Roy,

The $10 disc you mention, is that an NM Pajero Workshop Manual for PC. I have a paper back manual but would prefer it on PC as the pictures are much clearer and they do explain it better.
                            Do you know where I could purchase a copy.

Thanks,
                            JP
                            3.5 NM Exceed, 265/75/16 Bridgestone D694LT & 285/75/16 MIckey Thompson MTZ on Patrol Alloy, Piranha Dual Battery System, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Alloy B/Bar, 240 Lightforce D/Lights, TX 3400 UHF, Milford Barrier, 40lt Engel, Black Widow Slide, Poly Airs, Brown Davis bash plate, Windcheater Roof Rack, 2" lift King Springs, 300watt inverter, Redback Extractors

Comment

• RoyHarvey
                              • Mar 2008
                              • Adelaide

Manual on CD

Hi JP
                              My manual came via ebay!
                              Just had a look and can't see one listed at the moment but they seem to appear now and then.
                              If you're near Adelaide I could perhaps help!
                              I notice the PDF manual posted above even shows the tension applied anticlockwise, wondering if your hard copy is clearer?
                              Cheers Roy
                              2016 NX Pajero GLX

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X