Below Nav Bar

Collapse

(Again) How to access the rear 12V outlet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • josh88
    • Mar 2011
    • Sydney

(Again) How to access the rear 12V outlet?

Hi Folks,

Need help please , I am trying to access the rear 12v outlet as mine's given up the ghost. I've read a few threads in the forum on how to do it.

The problem is, I have the plastic plumbing work that is in the way. I assume it is part of the rear A/C unit. There isn't room to even fit my palm in, let alone touching the wire behind.

Does this mean the only way to get access is to remove the plastic trims? How hard is it to remove them? Has anyone done it? Any hints and tips are really appreciated.

Thank you
    MY05 Exceed Di-D with diff Locks to add
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

first I'd see if you can unbolt that piece enough to get hand clearance. Failing that, I guess you need to remove the side trim. I'm sure I've seen a how to on removing it. Its not that hard, but you could break xmas tree clips in the process .
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Darwiniandude
      Valued Member
      • May 2008
      • Adelaide

Check out this thread. I posted some instructions on how to remove the top piece of trim because he needed access to the window:

Once you've got that done, you need to:
      Pull the edge of the carpet up slightly near the rear side door, as the bottom trim piece has a few screws there (3?) going into the floor, which are under the carpet.

Remove the rear seats and cover hatch, and then the small corner piece which has a tie down point. I am talking about the corner bit of the floor nearest the rear door hinge. The tie down point has a plastic cover with a screw/bolt, then with the tie down loop removed that small piece just pops out, it's actually carpeted plastic. Under that are more screws for the bottom trim piece that go into the floor.

Is not that hard, but take your time.

When reinstalling, make sure about clearances around the rubber rear door seal, you might need to pull some of it off and push it back afterwards, or slip an old credit card/iTunes card to lift the rubber seal over the plastic trim.
      Adelaide
      2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

• Hama
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Gold Coast

Originally posted by josh88 View Post
        Hi Folks,

Need help please , I am trying to access the rear 12v outlet as mine's given up the ghost. I've read a few threads in the forum on how to do it.

The problem is, I have the plastic plumbing work that is in the way. I assume it is part of the rear A/C unit. There isn't room to even fit my palm in, let alone touching the wire behind.

Does this mean the only way to get access is to remove the plastic trims? How hard is it to remove them? Has anyone done it? Any hints and tips are really appreciated.

Thank you
        I know you might not want to hear it but you will have to remove the trims as Shane mentioned. Start with the white trim, very easy to remove. Just 2 screws to remove that handle thing at the top and unclick the whole white trim. You might get access to the socket from the top but will be still hard. If not, you are half way to remove the black one anyway, lol.

Cheers
        (SOLD) 2001 NM Exceed 3.5L Petrol, Injected LPG, 2" Lift Lovells HD Springs & Shocks, Polyair Bags, Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 (265/75/16), Dual Battery System, TRV4x4 Snorkel, F/R Diff+Tranny+Transfer Case Breathers, Engel Fridge/Freezer 40L, Homemade Rear Storage+Bed, Rhino Roof Racks+Basket, OEM Alloy Bullbar, Side Steps, Towbar, Fog Lights, Rear Work Light, UHF Handheld Radio Puxing PX-888+UHF Antenna RFI CD900, Nobles RIG-MATE Creeper Winch, Exhaust Jack, X-Trax II, TomTom XL 340 with Hema Maps

Comment

• josh88
          • Mar 2011
          • Sydney

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
          first I'd see if you can unbolt that piece enough to get hand clearance. Failing that, I guess you need to remove the side trim. I'm sure I've seen a how to on removing it. Its not that hard, but you could break xmas tree clips in the process .
          Unfortunately it's almost impossible to undo that piece without removing the trims. So remove the side trim it is then

Originally posted by Darwiniandude View Post
          Check out this thread. I posted some instructions on how to remove the top piece of trim because he needed access to the window:

Once you've got that done, you need to:
          Pull the edge of the carpet up slightly near the rear side door, as the bottom trim piece has a few screws there (3?) going into the floor, which are under the carpet.

Remove the rear seats and cover hatch, and then the small corner piece which has a tie down point. I am talking about the corner bit of the floor nearest the rear door hinge. The tie down point has a plastic cover with a screw/bolt, then with the tie down loop removed that small piece just pops out, it's actually carpeted plastic. Under that are more screws for the bottom trim piece that go into the floor.

Is not that hard, but take your time.

When reinstalling, make sure about clearances around the rubber rear door seal, you might need to pull some of it off and push it back afterwards, or slip an old credit card/iTunes card to lift the rubber seal over the plastic trim.
          Thanks mate for the link

Originally posted by Hama View Post
          I know you might not want to hear it but you will have to remove the trims as Shane mentioned. Start with the white trim, very easy to remove. Just 2 screws to remove that handle thing at the top and unclick the whole white trim. You might get access to the socket from the top but will be still hard. If not, you are half way to remove the black one anyway, lol.

Cheers
          True, gotta think of something useful to put in there while it's open LOL
          MY05 Exceed Di-D with diff Locks to add

Comment

• Darwiniandude
            Valued Member
            • May 2008
            • Adelaide

I'm wondering if there is room to mount an inverter back there inside the trim and install a normal black household PowerPoint with its switched wired to the low voltage inverter input to turn it on and off. Always wanted that, a flush mounted 240 V point in the car.
            Adelaide
            2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

• smwhiskey
              • Feb 2012
              • Brisbane

Probably not much help but ARB wouldn't even touch mine when I wanted to bypass the ignition and have permanent power in the back so I could power the Waeco off it. They ended up adding a twin socket connector.

So now I have 3 ports in the back....Which according to the kids isn't enough for them to plug in all their electronics.
              2003 NP DID Exceed with a bit of lift and a hunk of steel on the front with some stuff hanging off it

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X