Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel MOD for NM

Hi all!

Just a modification question in regards to steering wheels.. I have the NM and I'm wanting to fit a new steering wheel on with the radio and cruise control buttons. I've found the wheel I want but it's off an NS.. So, my question being, will it fit on? Are the splines the same size etc?

Really? Nobody has ever attempted this?

Comment

• Lance
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2009
      • Melbourne

My guess is that the wheel would physically fit the shaft, but are you going to have all the necessary wiring and electrics available to make it a viable mod...... ?
      2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
      2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

G'day Lance,

Thanks mate.. Yeah, I'm pretty well equipped with all the necessary gear to complete the job. I've been scratching at other Pajeros for a while now getting bits and pieces here and there so pretty confident I'll have no issue.
        An airbag in the face is my biggest concern 😄

Comment

• Pajero12
          • Dec 2015
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by yenrot View Post
          G'day Lance,
          An airbag in the face is my biggest concern 😄
          disconnect the negative terminal of your battery, leave car for 60+ minutes (airbags have a capacitor which holds power for some time after the battery is disconnected)

If you're still concerned about an airbag in the face, get an octopus strap for your wheel.

When you are removing your steering wheel, be mindful that the clock spring attached to the steering column has a wire connected to the airbag module inside the wheel.
          Try first with two hands evenly apart on the wheel (opposite sides) to rock the steering wheel left-right and tug slightly toward yourself. If this does not prove to be working then you may need to give it a sharp pull. Be careful to not pull it too far, or you risk the cables pulling the internals of the clock spring.

It's definitely achievable, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have removed mine several times with no issues.
          NW GL. DiD Auto with 265/75 St Maxx on 17" Alloys, Factory Steel bullbar
          MODS: TJM Airtec Snorkel | Bilstein Shocks with King Springs | full bushskinz bash plates | LED Lightbar | Rhino Platform | GME XRS UHF platform mounted antenna w folding bracket | Kings Awning | Ultragauge | Dual Battery | Rear Storage System | Paddle Shift | M&M Lockup Mate

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

The Service Manual advises to apply insulation tape over the negative battery cable terminal connector after disconnecting the battery. The manual says to wait only 60 seconds but I would wait a bit longer.

Like any streering wheel removal, it is best to loosen the centre nut only a few turns and then pull the steering wheel towards you, because the nut is still on the steering wheel will not fly off. Once the steering wheel has moved on the splines then remove the nut completely.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Lance
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2009
              • Melbourne

I think, from memory when I did my clock spring I removed the steering wheel by undoing an allan key.
              It didn't have a nut on the stg shaft like in older vehicles and the center horn pad/air bag canister was not removed at all.

Comment

That's great advice, thanks fellas! I'll post once I've done it!

Comment

• Lance
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • Melbourne

I think this was the vid I went by when I did my Clock spring.....

The Allan key I mentioned earlier comes in at 7.00

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    I think this was the vid I went by when I did my Clock spring.....

The Allan key I mentioned earlier comes in at 7.00
                    Gen 3 steering wheel is held in place by a grub screw in the steering wheel that engages a groove in the steering column shaft.

Gen 4 steering wheel is held onto a tapered shaft by a nut that screws onto a thread on the end of the steering column shaft.

Gen 4 steering wheel doesn't have the grub screw for the Gen 3 shaft.

Gen 3 shaft doesn't have the thread for the nut to hold on the Gen 4 steering wheel.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Bugger! So it won't work!! S#@T!!

Comment

• Lance
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • Melbourne

nj swb...............

yenrot...............