• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

Toyota DPF hijinks

Up to 250,000 Australian cars could be affected as a major class action is filed against popular manufacturer Toyota, alleging faulty diesel filters are causing problems with exhausts and fuel efficiency.
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

I have just spent 2 weeks in a rented brand new Prado GXL.

It had a DPF info sticker on the door, a manual DPF burn switch on the dash & a separate handbook just for the DPF (about 6mm thick!) to explain all about it & what to do if the DPF light comes on - basically park it in a clear area (so it doesn't set fire to itself), push the button & let it idle for 30 minutes. Or, I think you could just push the button & keep driving for 30 minutes.

What a terrible solution to a bad design. I understand the MY17 onwards NX Pajero with DPF has no such issues or requirements.

The Prado appeared to be reasonably economical, but the 2.8 had no guts for overtaking on the highway (with just me & my bag in it) - it took forever to get past where the Paj would have done it in half the time on the wrong side of the road. I note they just increased the tow rating to 3 tonnes - that would need to be downhill with a prayer, I think? It wallowed like an old boat, turned in like the QEII and the live rear axle was bouncing all over the place when cornering on the tracks.

I was happy to hand back the $65k tojo, as it reaffirmed the wisdom of buying my MY16 NX. Long live the Paj!

PS - just my opinion - it must suit some people?
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
      I have just spent 2 weeks in a rented brand new Prado GXL.

It had a DPF info sticker on the door, a manual DPF burn switch on the dash & a separate handbook just for the DPF (about 6mm thick!) to explain all about it & what to do if the DPF light comes on - basically park it in a clear area (so it doesn't set fire to itself), push the button & let it idle for 30 minutes. Or, I think you could just push the button & keep driving for 30 minutes.

What a terrible solution to a bad design.
      The DPF is a terrible solution to the bad design that is EGR. Compounding errors. I read something about the MY20 (something Toyota?) will come with AdBlue for NOx emissions - so hopefully that will be the end of EGR and DPF on those vehicles.

Of course, AdBlue systems can come with their own issues, so it will be interesting to watch a Japanese manufacturer climb that learning curve.

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
      The Prado appeared to be reasonably economical, but the 2.8 had no guts for overtaking on the highway (with just me & my bag in it) - it took forever to get past where the Paj would have done it in half the time on the wrong side of the road. I note they just increased the tow rating to 3 tonnes - that would need to be downhill with a prayer, I think? It wallowed like an old boat, turned in like the QEII and the live rear axle was bouncing all over the place when cornering on the tracks.

I was happy to hand back the $65k tojo, as it reaffirmed the wisdom of buying my MY16 NX. Long live the Paj!

PS - just my opinion - it must suit some people?
      The "supple, long travel suspension" that the motoring journos love to rave about means that it wallows like an old boat, and turns in like the QEII - but most cars are sold based on the 5 minute test drive out of the suburban car yard. Soft and quiet ride is the takeaway, not seasickness.

Issues like DPF management don't enter into the test drive experience (and it's not like the sales rep is going to point it out), and we never hear about the ride once the owner installs some springs that can actually carry some load. Is it still every bit as soft and supple?

It's going back a few years now, but I was on a project that had both Prados and Pajeros (120 Series & NT, I think). On the highway, they were chalk & cheese for NVH - the Prados were beautifully smooth and quiet, not so the Pajeros (in comparison). So everybody else wanted to travel in the Prados, which meant I pretty much had my own Pajero.

On our job site, which had some sandy stretches of track, the Prados really struggled where the Pajeros didn't. One stretch that I had to make three attempts at in the Prado, needing to hit it harder each time, I managed to get the Pajero across in 2wd - the traction control was going nuts, but it made it. On a different stretch that never really bothered me, one of our subbies stopped and put his Hilux into low range.

So I understand why the Prado sells so well, because it really does excel in the typical test drive. But for what I like to do, I have no desire to trade in my Pajero.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
        The DPF is a terrible solution to the bad design that is EGR. Compounding errors. I read something about the MY20 (something Toyota?) will come with AdBlue for NOx emissions - so hopefully that will be the end of EGR and DPF on those vehicles.

Of course, AdBlue systems can come with their own issues, so it will be interesting to watch a Japanese manufacturer climb that learning curve.

The "supple, long travel suspension" that the motoring journos love to rave about means that it wallows like an old boat, and turns in like the QEII - but most cars are sold based on the 5 minute test drive out of the suburban car yard. Soft and quiet ride is the takeaway, not seasickness.

Issues like DPF management don't enter into the test drive experience (and it's not like the sales rep is going to point it out), and we never hear about the ride once the owner installs some springs that can actually carry some load. Is it still every bit as soft and supple?

It's going back a few years now, but I was on a project that had both Prados and Pajeros (120 Series & NT, I think). On the highway, they were chalk & cheese for NVH - the Prados were beautifully smooth and quiet, not so the Pajeros (in comparison). So everybody else wanted to travel in the Prados, which meant I pretty much had my own Pajero.

On our job site, which had some sandy stretches of track, the Prados really struggled where the Pajeros didn't. One stretch that I had to make three attempts at in the Prado, needing to hit it harder each time, I managed to get the Pajero across in 2wd - the traction control was going nuts, but it made it. On a different stretch that never really bothered me, one of our subbies stopped and put his Hilux into low range.

So I understand why the Prado sells so well, because it really does excel in the typical test drive. But for what I like to do, I have no desire to trade in my Pajero.
        You guys have overlooked the Russian roulette that Toyota engine is!

I know of One Facebook page alone & I see atleast one person A week find that page with CRACKED pistons. About 230 cases on that one page.
        Repairs seem to Range frome $10k to $17k. Kilometres from 70,000 to 250,000 K's
        Some say replace the injectors every 80,000k's at about $700 each.
        Other say there injectors were fine, some say its towing, other say they have never towed..

Here is A Toyota document on the matter, they are also outside these dates with cracked pistons.
        Attached Files
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• bobthekelpy
          • Apr 2019
          • Melbourne

I came across all the commonly reported issues when researching for my first 4x4. The heart wanted a Prado, but I just couldn't ignore the problems with them. Not to mention paying upwards of $10k more for similar year model and kms..

By comparison, the Pajero had very few, so was the winning choice. And have to say I am rapt with my NT.
          2010 NT GLS

Comment

• Paj man
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010
            • Perth

Looked at 10 Prado's until I found one I liked and didn't have a stuffed injector system - I would say 4 of them had suspect injector issues and 2 definitely did.

Wouldn't touch the 2.8's - stuck with the 3.0L and will mange the injector issue.
            1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• mongoose
              • Aug 2007

My wife wanted a Prado so I bought a Pajero knowing I would be the one having to do any maintenance on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              NW Pajero VR-X
              Currently stock

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X