• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scribble88
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2014
    • Geraldton, WA

Setting up DRL on your car

Forgive me if this has been posted before I could not find a How To install DRL on this forum. I found it a bit of a hard job, so I thought I would write up how I did it.

Ok,

So, the back story is; when I bought "Paji" in 2013 for our 3 year trip around Australia, it came with a steel "Mitsubishi" no thrills bull bar. During our great lap of our wonderful country, some kangaroos decided that Paji's bull bar needed modification. We could not afford a new bull bar, so a very nice QLD farmer we were staying with used his tractor attachment to mostly straighten it back into shape.

Come forward to a couple of weeks ago, a couple of kangaroos again decided to modify the bull bar. I decided it really wasn't a good idea to try and straighten the bull bar out again ( that is the story I told my wife anyway, I really wanted a new bull bar that could possibly take an electric winch ). So I decided to buy a new bull bar.

Now, I wanted to get a good quality one so I looked at ARB and TJM websites. TJM was over $2000 and ARB had a 6 month waiting list for a bullbar for my model. A very nice local man who I trust implicitly, told me than a company in Bunbury makes a good quality winch capable bull bar.

The bull bar came with indicatiors and led lights in the bull bar. That strangely is a problem as I have a light bar and spotlights on my car, so the led lights would of made it illegal.

" Additional driving lights are covered by the Australian Design Rule 13/00 (ADR13). Amendments to ADR13, which has aligned with the alternate international standards now allow for the fitment of one or more (to a maximum of four) additional driving lights thus removing the previous requirement of additional driving lights to be fitted in pairs of two or four. "

" Daytime running lights shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which makes it possible for the engine to operate.
    Daytime running lights shall switch OFF automatically when the front fog lights or headlights are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.
    Furthermore, all other forward facing lights (as listed above) must not switch on when the daytime running lights are switched ON. "

So I decided the led lights had to be DRL. I called the police, who told me that DRL are not included in the spotlights when they are DRL.

Big thank you to NAB, Aussieintas, Kiwi1973, Ticky and especially Scouter1 for there help on installing them.

I ran wires obviously from the lights from negative wire of lights to ground. Put on a wire from drivers side positive wire in front of condenser, spliced the passenger wire positive onto that wire up until the area at the front passenger side area battery area, where I had my spotlights, led and front camera relays are.

Now, thanks to Scouter1 and him posting where to find an ignition only trigger source for the relay. I thought that was the tricky part.

To get the led lights on when the car ignition on when the ignition is turned on, and off if the headlights was really a major headache. It took me a while to work it out.

I bought a automotive relay that has a 87a pin ( sorry don't know what it is called ). I plugged a male spade terminal into the relay box terminal that Scouter1 had suggested. That wire went to the 87a relay, pin 30.

Then ground wire to 86 pin on 87a relay.

Spliced and ran a wire from low beam, passenger headlight to pin 85 of 87a relay.

Ran a wire from 87a pin of 87a relay, to pin 30 of a normal relay. ( on a 87a relay, the 87a pin is live BEFORE energised by trigger wire pin 85. After it is energised power goes to pin 87; meaning no power is being put out ).

Obviously connected ground to pin 86 of normal relay.

Positive wire from led bull bar connected to 87 of normal relay.

There you have it; DRL automatically turn on when ignition is turned on. DRL turned off as soon as headlights turned off. All legal and proper.

This is my original post that the boys, particularly Scouter1 helped. Includes picture of which relay in the relay box to use.

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by scribble88; 30-09-17, 09:52 AM. Reason: Forgot to thank ticky
    2010 3.2 DiD Activ Pajero 5sp Manual. Bilstein and HD Lovells 50mm lift, Toyo Open Country II A/T, Diff breathers, SPV EGR Mod, Exedy HD Clutch, Electric brake controller, Kings Lethal 9” LED’s.Reversing camera system for trailer, Airtec Snorkel. Full set of Bushskinz bash plates.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Good job mate. It is appreciated by many when someone takes the time to outline an issue and then give a detailed explanation of how to remedy/fix an issue.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• scribble88
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2014
      • Geraldton, WA

No problem Dicko1,

I take my lead from you mate. You have done it many times.
      2010 3.2 DiD Activ Pajero 5sp Manual. Bilstein and HD Lovells 50mm lift, Toyo Open Country II A/T, Diff breathers, SPV EGR Mod, Exedy HD Clutch, Electric brake controller, Kings Lethal 9” LED’s.Reversing camera system for trailer, Airtec Snorkel. Full set of Bushskinz bash plates.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by scribble88 View Post

I bought a automotive relay that has a 87a pin ( sorry don't know what it is called ). I plugged a male spade terminal into the relay box terminal that Scouter1 had suggested. That wire went to the 87a relay, pin 30.

Then ground wire to 86 pin on 87a relay.

Spliced and ran a wire from low beam, passenger headlight to pin 85 of 87a relay.

Ran a wire from 87a pin of 87a relay, to pin 30 of a normal relay. ( on a 87a relay, the 87a pin is live BEFORE energised by trigger wire pin 85. After it is energised power goes to pin 87; meaning no power is being put out ).

Obviously connected ground to pin 86 of normal relay.

Positive wire from led bull bar connected to 87 of normal relay.

There you have it; DRL automatically turn on when ignition is turned on. DRL turned off as soon as headlights turned off. All legal and proper.

This is my original post that the boys, particularly Scouter1 helped. Includes picture of which relay in the relay box to use.

Thanks everyone
        relays are often called Normally open or normally closed Ie one will close(supply powerwhen energised and the other will open(cut power) when energised..I think that "reverse behaviour " is what you are using to turn your drl off when the headlights come on ie the 87a terminal
        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Nab
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Perth

Good job. Any pics of this Bunbury bullbar??
          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• scribble88
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2014
            • Geraldton, WA

Hey Nab,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get a photo.

Turns out they have a showroom in Welshpool. The website was pretty bad. I couldn't find a picture.

I went to tuf bar Parkside's Facebook page and found a picture that is similar to mine, just a different model of car - Holden Colorado
            Attached Files
            Last edited by scribble88; 02-10-17, 05:07 PM. Reason: Autocorrect mistake

Comment

• chrisall
              • Sep 2016
              • WA

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
              I think that "reverse behaviour " is what you are using to turn your drl off when the headlights come on ie the 87a terminal
              That's generally a changeover relay. A standard single-pole 4 pin relay has Normally Open contacts whereas a changeover relay has 5 pins so can have one NO and one NC. You can use the normally closed terminals to power the DRL via an ignition source, and then you energise the relay (to open the contacts) when side lights are switched on.

The difficulty appears to be finding a connection under the bonnet for an ignition source that is only on when ignition on i.e. not just when the key is in the accessory position.

The relay box on the V6 (well on my povo-spec NP anyway) is very sparsely populated with terminals:

2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• Nab
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2012
                • Perth

Looks like an Opposite Lock bar, I like how the 2 middle uprights are not straight up but angled to the side, looks better than the ARB bars IMO.
                SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X