• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesbailey
    • Feb 2019
    • Sunshine Coast

roof top tent Pajero sport

Hi all, I'm new here so go easy!

I'm looking at getting a roof top tent to put on my 2017 Pajero Sport. I'm mostly interested in the hard shell ones that weigh around the 60kg mark (James baroud / backtrax / Howling moon). I have a pair of Thule wingbar roof racks with a load capacity of 75kg. I believe the roof capacity for the sport is 80kg so to me that sounds like it should hold one of these tents!

However although a couple of the dealers selling these tents have said my car and racks should be fine for their product, the James Baroud website advises against using Thule roof racks for their product, the dealer we spoke to even recommended bars that can hold up to 100kg! but with a roof load capacity of 80kg should I even be considering these tents?

If anybody has experience of putting on a roof top tent on a sport and can give some good advice I'd much appreciate it
  • RUGGA
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by jamesbailey View Post
    I have a pair of Thule wingbar roof racks with a load capacity of 75kg. I believe the roof capacity for the sport is 80kg so to me that sounds like it should hold one of these tents!
    The 80kg roof capacity is a Dynamic value - i.e. whilst in motion, the Static value is more. I just don't know the figures for the PS

Ps - welcome to the forum.
    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• jamesbailey
      • Feb 2019
      • Sunshine Coast

Thanks Rugga, so if the dynamic load rating is 80kg and 75kg for my racks it should be ok to carry a 60kg tent right? some doubt has just been put in my mind from the information I received from the James Baroud dealer maybe there has been some misunderstanding???

Comment

• RUGGA
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2014
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by jamesbailey View Post
        Thanks Rugga, so if the dynamic load rating is 80kg and 75kg for my racks it should be ok to carry a 60kg tent right? some doubt has just been put in my mind from the information I received from the James Baroud dealer maybe there has been some misunderstanding???
        Perhaps/probably, yes. You also have to add the rack weight to the equation. Either way, you are suitably informed now to tackle another ph call. Good luck and let us know how you go.
        02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• jamesbailey
          • Feb 2019
          • Sunshine Coast

so I did a bit more research and found this in an article on the James Baroud website -

'avoid Thule roof bars and as a general rule what is sold in large-scale retail stores. Experience has shown that products from large-scale retailers do not resist long under African track conditions. They are perfect to carry a roof box on main roads, but not really suited for the weight of a hard hull tent. Out of this, whether it be from Trekking or Rhinorack (distributed by Warn), you will find excellent, proven products where quality and reliability expectations are always met'

I had Thule roof racks installed by the dealer when I bought the car, I have looked into getting Rhino racks but they only seem to make ones with a load capacity up to 60kg for the Pajero Sport.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X