• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tiger99
    • Oct 2015
    • Brisbane

NT 2011 Leaking front shocks

Hi All,

My front OEM shocks are leaking and no doubt need replacing. Most of my driving is a 20 klm round trip to work, with trips up bribie beach about 6 times a year. I don't do any towing. Car has only done 75k, I'm 2nd owner at 47k. I don't drive it hard and baby it when on the beach. 75k seems very low for a set of shocks. I'm after any advice on what I should replace them with based on the aforementioned driving pattern. Rears look fine. Should I replace all 4? Can anyone provide a ballpark figure and estimated labour hours.

thanks

Pete
    2011 NT RX. Ironbark. 2.5 x 2.5 Awning.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Pete,

Front suspension are struts inside coils so there is a bit of messing around to remove the strut/coil assemblies, firstly the removal of battery/s and air box then the strut assemblies off the car. Remove coils from struts and fit to new struts and refit everything so 3-4 hours labour for an experience suspension mechanic with all the correct tools and equipment.

Rear shockers take about 1/2 hour each side and if you can afford it, do them at the same time.

Plenty of brands to choose from to replace factory shockers, since you are not changing coils or doing any really hard work so Monroe or KYB would be fine. OzTec would be my recommendation from GSA Suspension in Qld. The big brand ABC XYZ names are not that much better if at all but you pay a premium for the "name and marketing hype" that goes with the tough 4wd image. You may even find a brand new suspension from a NX which someone has removed and will sell for $300-$400 complete with struts, shockers and coils!

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• tiger99
      • Oct 2015
      • Brisbane

Thanks Jack. is there any benefit in getting a suspension shop to fit or just a regular mechanic?

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by tiger99 View Post
        Thanks Jack. is there any benefit in getting a suspension shop to fit or just a regular mechanic?
        Most regular mechanics do not have a Coilover strut/coil compression tool so they outsource this job to suspension shop. Also you will require a front wheel alignment, rear will be ok as the suspension arms will not be disassembled.
        Many suspension shops make their profit on the markup on parts so if you buy parts and supply them yourself you can expect a slightly higher labour cost.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Agree with KYB or Monroe's and I'd do the 4 shocks if it was me bud.
          2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Far East Gippy
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Hi Pete,

Plenty of brands to choose from to replace factory shockers, since you are not changing coils or doing any really hard work so Monroe or KYB would be fine.

OJ.
            I have just completed the Anne Beadell, Gunbarrel & CSR and spoke to a couple of old school mechanics along the way and both recommended Monroe even for those tracks.
            '10 NT RX DiD Auto - Airtec Snorkel, King Springs, Monroe Shocks, Redarc EBRH, Piranha DBE180SX Dual Battery Kit, Polyair, Bushskinz (cooler, sump & trans), LRA Auxilliary

Comment

• tiger99
              • Oct 2015
              • Brisbane

Thanks everyone. Will look into all options given. Appreciate the advice

Pete

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X