• Show
Clear All
  • bigfella78
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2010
    • Mandurah, WA

Long ranger tank

Hey everyone,

I've managed to track down a second hand long range fuel tank for my Pajero.. Its off a 96 coil rear...

Anyone replaced the tank before? easy done? Tips tricks?

I have to pull it off the old truck first..

I just filled up my tank last night too.. damnit

Thank you Gumtree and The minister for war and finance(wife)!
    2018 NX GLS, Munji DPF delete, MCC 808-02 Phoenix Bar, ARB Awning.

GONE but not forgotten - 1998 NL GLS, ARB Bull bar, GME UHF, Rhino Rack roof cage, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Mickey Thompson ATZ, Long range tank, Snorkel & Rallye 2000 Driving lights.
  • Valiant81
    • Dec 2009
    • Bracknell Tasmania

Long range fuel tank

Hi Bigfella78;
    I have just fitted a s/h Brown long range fuel tank to my pajero, easy, unbolt all the fuel lines and sender, drop ond tank, trasfer fuel sender to new tank ( make sertain that new tank is very clean inside ( wash out with a bit of the fuel .... NO SMOKING.) refit new tank and connect up the fuel lines .
    Bleed /prime fuel lines. Check for any fuel leaks and all will be good .

My fuel guage take about 200Klms be four the fuel guage starts to move off the 'F' mark .
    Acording to the 'brown's instalation manual, the low fuel light will start to come on when ther is about 30 Lts left in your tank.

One of the best acc that i have fitted to my pajer ( 95 model with the standard 2.8 Lt diesel ).

Change over took about 3 hours, drive in drive out.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• onallfour
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2010
      • Camden, Sydney

does the sender need to be bent to make it more accurate because i remember in my 2003 diesel jackaroo i had to bend low fuel light sender and gauge sender to make bigger tank accurate?
      Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

• Valiant81
        • Dec 2009
        • Bracknell Tasmania

Long range fuel tank

Hi Onalfour:
        When i fitted the sender from the old fuel tank, it fitted on to the new tank with no problems and i did not have to adjust the angle of the float arm.
        I think from memory that the distance from the floor of the tank to the top is a little bit greater , hence the reason for the 200 Klms be four the fuel guage moves off 'F' mark.
        Just for the record, when the old tank was in i could do about 90 Klms be four the guage would move.
        When in dought maybe give the tank manufacture a E-mail and see what they have to say.

Comment

• bigfella78
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2010
          • Mandurah, WA

I managed to get the long range tank our of the wreck.. its farking huge... its pretty dusty and I wanted to clean it up and respray it before installing it in my Pajero.

Anyone done this? any tips on what to do and what not to do?

Recomend a paint to use for rust protection and wear and tear?

GONE but not forgotten - 1998 NL GLS, ARB Bull bar, GME UHF, Rhino Rack roof cage, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Mickey Thompson ATZ, Long range tank, Snorkel & Rallye 2000 Driving lights.

Comment

• Valiant81
            • Dec 2009
            • Bracknell Tasmania

Long ranger tank

Hi bigfella78;
            I didn't worry about the appearance of the new tank as it was pritty good condition when i got it. As for a bit of a repaint , maybe just a light sand and a couple of coats of undercoat gray, i think that you can also get undercoat with anti rust propertys built in.
            Finaly 2~3 coats of final color paint of your choice.
            Mask off the supply and return lines and also the big hole for the fuel sender. Carefull with the hole were the sender goes as i think that they have a brass rim that the sender seats up to.

Other than that go for it.

One final think after you have painted your tank, clean out the inside of the tank with some of the fuel that the tank will hold.

Comment

• Valiant81
              • Dec 2009
              • Bracknell Tasmania

Long ranger tank

Bigfella78;
              Just a thought ........why not have a look at haveing your tank powder coated !!!!!

Comment

• Ranger J
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Perth, Western Australia

was the wreck a diesel or petrol?

Hope it wasn't my old Paj!
                NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• bigfella78
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • Mandurah, WA

Originally posted by Valiant81 View Post
                  Bigfella78;
                  Just a thought ........why not have a look at haveing your tank powder coated !!!!!
                  Because the Mrs would kill me.. lol.. I just want to clean it up, maybe put a undercoat of anti rust and paint it shiny black..

Should I use paint thinner or metho to get all the oil and grease off it before I paint it?

It was Petrol, white with a sunroof.. it looked to be in really good nick, execpt it had no engine or gear box, front end.. lol

Comment

• martin7
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • High Wycombe W.A.

mate this is a very easy job to do. i just wire brushed mine and painted it black prior to fitting it.i gave it a wipe off with turps prior to painting. placed a floor jack under the tank then undone the 2 front bolts first. then i went and fitted the aux tank which sits under the left floor and above the diff, now that was a painful job.
                    95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

• bigfella78
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2010
                      • Mandurah, WA

Found out one of the guys in my fire brigade works for a private panel beater, He has given me a small bottle of acid wash to rinse the exterior of the tank to get all the bulldust and calcium off..
                      He also advised to give it a light sand, a turps wipe over and then undercoat/antirust, matt black and then a black gloss..making sure I tape up everything so no paint gets inside..

Comment

• peejay68au
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • nsw

Maybe try some of this stuff. http://ppcco.com.au/prevention.htm Or this http://www.ppcco.com.au//topcoat_stirling.htm It's the dogs danglies according to a lot of people who have used it.
                        Last edited by peejay68au; 25-10-11, 03:12 PM.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Mitzified
                          • Jan 2009
                          • Elizabeth Sth Aus

long range tank

Sorry to hi jack your post
                          Hi Valiant 81
                          I gather you are happy with the tank I sold you. How did your trip go?
                          I bought the tank originally s/h from melb had the car sat on it in sand on the beach a few times as seen in my avitar pic, and it still lives on.
                          Testiment to these tanks ..They are well built.
                          They are real eazy to fit in these cars as mentioned as well the tanks are the same for petrol and diesel its just the fittings that differ and you use the ones that you have.
                          You need not worry about rust or damage as they are made of 2.5 mm aluminsed steel and reinforced where it is needed. So will support the weight of the car easily.
                          Most of the extra volume is achieved by filling the space available above the top of the original tank and the bottom is the same so as not to affect the ground clearance therefore the extra distance before the gauge moves.
                          My present vehicle takes 60 lts while the guage still shows full.
                          See you all out there some time
                          Lindsay
                          Mothballed NJ GLX 2.8 tdi Auto isolated dual batteries Cargo Barrier with custom draws and fridge slider Poly air rear Manual front hubs Reversing Camera
                          Badly over heated engine\
                          Currantly driving Discovery 1 tdi with fruit

Comment

• Valiant81
                            • Dec 2009
                            • Bracknell Tasmania

Long ranger tank

Hi mitzified;
                            Sorry for not geting back sooner, i have been away in Melbourne and have only got back to day.
                            As for the tank that i purchest from you, not a problem in the world with the re fitting of the new tank. Just a quick clean with some diesel fuel on the in side of the tank just to be 100% certain that there was nor dirt or rubbish on the inside of the tank, and was pretty clean any way.
                            As for the trip, what can i say fantastic and well worth the effort to drive, as for the fuel tank this realy helped plan our fuel stops and gave me piece of mind to know that with the extra fuel we had more than enough to do the reqired Kms.

Even when the low fuel light came on and managed to fuel up the tank only took 110 ltrs to full. so still had about 30 ~ 40 Lts left.
                            The only problem that you have with a long range tank is the end cost of the fuel and we averaged about 100 Lts be four we would fill up and were paying up to $1.95 per Ltr. OUTCH.

Comment

• bigfella78
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2010
                              • Mandurah, WA

Well the tank was installed over the weekend. 140litres.. should get me about 1000k's.. wacked a $175.00 hole in my wallet to fill it..

A few tips... the exhaust is in the way and needed to put unhooked and pushed to the side..

There was also a bolt holding a clip with cables running along the chasis.. it was such a tight fit that the bolt had to be removed so the tank would fit..

Not a job to undertake by yourself.. even with a trolly jack. We had 4, 2 to hold the tank, one to position and the other to bolt the bloody thing in and attach hoses.. (careful you don't split them) Sorry I didn't think to take any photos..

Now I have a tank to sell.. with pump and gauge gear..

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X