• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisb
    • Jul 2009
    • Melbourne

Insurance after turbo install

Hello,

I just put a turbo into my diesel triton.
    The insurance company promptly canceled my insurance.
    Can anyone recommend an insurance company to go with?
    White single c/chass 97 MK Triton, 2.8D ICed turbo, 30/9.5/15, 2+2 lift, bull bar 4.3t winch, rock sliders, 41w
  • MSF
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2009
    • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Normally Aftermarket TD are ok.

Who was it that declined you ??

Comment

• chrisb
      • Jul 2009
      • Melbourne

allianz canceled my insurance after i told them about the change

i went to iselect and selected "engine modification" as an option and they gave me quotes from various companies
      i even went to these companies and asked for quotes including the engine modification option
      when i called iselect that said that they only deal with low risk insurance and doing what i did they wont deal with
      apparently some fine print they have that i dont understand how when the option exists for the mod but they somehow wont cover it?
      White single c/chass 97 MK Triton, 2.8D ICed turbo, 30/9.5/15, 2+2 lift, bull bar 4.3t winch, rock sliders, 41w

Comment

• lach01
        • Jul 2011
        • Perth

AAMI hasn't had any issues with modifications I've done previously to our forester but it already was turbo. Otherwise, I'd say Just Cars and Shannons are 2 companies that shouldn't have any issues.

Comment

• MSF
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2009
          • Sydney, Northern Beaches

OK, Allianz should not have declined you (unless they have changed their guidelines dramatically)

Call them back, ask them again, ask if you can refer it to a Team Leader as chances are the person you spoke to just heard Turbo and not the diesel part.

are there any other mods ??
          What is the total value of the mods ??

It may have been a combination of value of vehicle / value of mods and not specifically the turbo on it's own...

Comment

• Herman4x4
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Melton, Victoria

I had an 80 series with aftermarket turbo and intercooler through Afinity Insurance Brokers.
            Cheers,
            Andrew.
            Cheers,
            Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
            Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• chrisb
              • Jul 2009
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by MSF View Post
              OK, Allianz should not have declined you (unless they have changed their guidelines dramatically)
              are there any other mods ??
              all up $6000

Are TCIS insurance brokers or Australian 4wd insurance any good?
              Last edited by chrisb; 04-04-12, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• chrisb
                • Jul 2009
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by lach01 View Post
                AAMI hasn't had any issues with modifications I've done previously to our forester but it already was turbo. Otherwise, I'd say Just Cars and Shannons are 2 companies that shouldn't have any issues.
                just cars quote to insure it for an apparently agreed market value of $3900 at $850/year
                No way would I be able to replace it for that much. Are the agreed modifications are extra, will I get back just $3900 or will it be $3900 plus modifications value?
                What are the insurance companies problems, yes I have more power now I want to go smash it. Cause I love to smash stuff that costs me lots of money. Also whats the difference between a newer car that comes stock with higher power and has a much high market value and what ive got?

Comment

• pauld
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Melbourne

Try a broker. They know which companies to go to for different products. About 4 years ago I sold a 1985 4 Runner Diesel, which I added an aftermarket turbo to, 3 inch lift, different wheels & tyres, bull bar, rear step, Lokka in front and perhaps a few other minor things.
                  The broker I worked through had all this listed on the policy & the price was very good. About 2 years after the inital policy they announced they no longer had a relationship with that primary insurer and I was concerned that we wouldn't be able to achieve the same but they did, in fact they came up with 2 offers with all mods listed.
                  One big difference perhaps, I did 3rd party fire & theft, not full comp. Car sold for about $8K.
                  Trying to remember the insurance company names...... one of them might have been Lumley, the other might have been Vero...
                  2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• chrisb
                    • Jul 2009
                    • Melbourne

Yep I've got quotes from a few brokers
                    Best deal seems to be from DGA

Turns I'm way better of on this policy as my old one was just market value, and it was a crappy market value at that
                    New policy includes all off road driving and a much higher agreed value
                    Last edited by chrisb; 04-04-12, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X