• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kanga
    • Mar 2012
    • Earth

GLX or Platinum

Is the the platinum worth the etc $$ or is it better getting the GLX and upgrading the bits you really need. I hear the MCCS is not the best and an option is just to buy a good Nav system etc. Im about to lay down some money to purchase a new vehicle so Im pumping this forum with these sort of questions..Appoligies in advance..
    cheers.
  • pauld
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2010
    • Melbourne

$58990 Platinum Additional Features include:
    • MMCS with reverse camera and satellite navigation
    • Front and rear air conditioning
    • Automatic headlights and windscreen wipers
    • Integrated side steps
    - I wouldn't bother with the sat nav personally, better off to do your own thing. The GLXs have a reverse cameras in the mirror anyway.
    - Rear air.... depends I guess, if you think you will use the 3rd row seats often then it might be a good idea but if not I think the front is more than adequate.
    - Auto headlights, have them on my other car, they're good but I wouldn't pay for them.
    - Factory side steps are a waste of time off road - if that is what you are planning. Bushskinz steps are the way to go.

There are some good deals on car sales at the moment, sort into 2012 & then by price - e.g. a white GLX (4km demo) in NSW for $54K drive away, advertising climate control.... is that standard on a GLX?
    2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• Paj People 2009
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Originally posted by pauld View Post
      $58990 Platinum Additional Features include:
      • MMCS with reverse camera and satellite navigation
      • Front and rear air conditioning
      • Automatic headlights and windscreen wipers
      • Integrated side steps
      - I wouldn't bother with the sat nav personally, better off to do your own thing. The GLXs have a reverse cameras in the mirror anyway.
      - Rear air.... depends I guess, if you think you will use the 3rd row seats often then it might be a good idea but if not I think the front is more than adequate.
      - Auto headlights, have them on my other car, they're good but I wouldn't pay for them.
      - Factory side steps are a waste of time off road - if that is what you are planning. Bushskinz steps are the way to go.

There are some good deals on car sales at the moment, sort into 2012 & then by price - e.g. a white GLX (4km demo) in NSW for $54K drive away, advertising climate control.... is that standard on a GLX?

Agree with this post, but adding the extras on yourself usually always costs more...

The best thing about the Platinum is the re-sale value. Always good to have a "special edition". The upgraded stereo is pretty good too.
      SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• wongapaj
        • Oct 2011
        • Wonga Park

I never realised how much the rear AC would keep the dog happy. Keeps him really settled.
        NT 30th Anniversary, 3.2 Diesel, Manual, Black, Tinted Windows, HID Lo & Hi, MM Towbar, Prodigy P3, Stebel Horn, MMCS Override, Scangauge II, Dual Battery, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ORU12 Winch, IPF HID Driving lights, UHF, Diff Breathers, D697s, Airtec Snorkel. HD Suspension, Bushskinz

Comment

• Traveller43
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2011
          • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Paj People 2009 View Post
          Agree with this post, but adding the extras on yourself usually always costs more...

The best thing about the Platinum is the re-sale value. Always good to have a "special edition". The upgraded stereo is pretty good too.
          I also agree about the resale value of a special edition, however that really is dependent on how long you intend to keep the vehicle. If you were selling within the first 3or 4 years then yes it is probably worth something. If you are going to keep it for 10 years or more then it is less of an issue.

I bought the NT RX last year at a great price however with all the modifications I did unless the next time I am looking to buy a 4WD "special edition" it is almost the same price as the GXL then I would buy the GXL. (Indeed I might actually consider the base model GL and trick it up to my custom requirements)

I have no need of the rear aircon as I have removed the rear seat and installed drawers, I took off the side steps and replaced them with rock sliders (happily was able to sell the alloy steps to offset the cost). I do like the HID lights but in reality even when off-roading and holidaying I do almost no night driving and in the metro area HID wouldn't be an upgrade I would pay for.

This Pajero is a 10 to 12 year proposition for me and armed with the knowledge I have now if I were making the decision again I might have chosen the GXL instead.

I certainly wouldn't be looking to be buying a "special edition" model if the price took me into the luxury car tax bracket. The list price of an NW Platinum Pajero is about $65,000 and in that price you would be paying about $2000 in luxury tax. I know pricing for the NW on special is more like $60,000 but that still exceeds the cap and attracts the luxury tax, albeit a relatively small amount.

For more details on luxury tax follow this thread link.

Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• Pickle
            Administrator
            • Jun 2007
            • All over Oz

Originally posted by Traveller43 View Post
            The list price of an NW Platinum Pajero is about $65,000 and in that price you would be paying about $2000 in luxury tax. I know pricing for the NW on special is more like $60,000 but that still exceeds the cap and attracts the luxury tax, albeit a relatively small amount.

For more details on luxury tax follow this thread link.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...luxury+car+tax
            $59k at the show Plus haggling.
            Dave
            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Macster
              • Nov 2011
              • Melbourne

Dealer still has more to go at $59k. I won't say exactly what I paid, but safe to say a good negotiator should be able to knock a couple more thou off that price...

Comment

• Lurch
                • Jan 2012
                • WA

I bought the GLX and there aint no reverse camera on it, mirror or otherwise, single CD instead of a stacker, no rear air but I dont sit there so I dont care, black door handles on a white car yet out 09 platinum has black handles too albeit on a silver car.
                Aside from that I cant seperate either of them so Isuppose it depends how important the fruit is to you.
                That being said, I would love to have the reverse camera as it would be real peace of mind when the kids are playing.

Comment

• pauld
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Melbourne

Reverse camera in mirror is on MM website & in cars on car sales, perhaps this was added after you bought...
                  2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• Trish
                    • Jan 2012
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Lurch View Post
                    I bought the GLX and there aint no reverse camera on it, mirror or otherwise, single CD instead of a stacker, no rear air but I dont sit there so I dont care, black door handles on a white car yet out 09 platinum has black handles too albeit on a silver car.
                    Aside from that I cant seperate either of them so Isuppose it depends how important the fruit is to you.
                    That being said, I would love to have the reverse camera as it would be real peace of mind when the kids are playing.
                    I bought the GLX for a good price just a few weeks ago, this one has a reverse camera in the mirror (great stuff ), black door handels (which I think look great on the dark grey plus don't scratch as easily as the painted ones I had on my recent car), no rear aircon (but the luggage won't mind that). Never had automatic headlights and wipers so don't really miss that. And from what you can read everywhere the factory side steps are a nuissance rather than a feature.

I would go for the GLX and use the ~ 6000 bucks saved for more useful features that you really want to have .
                    2011 MY12 NW Pajero GLX DiD Auto - graphit grey.
                    Bridgestone D694 275/65/17LT, full set of Bushskinz, Smartbar, T-Max 9000lb winch, Airtec Snorkel... more to come....soon (still have a very long wishlist)

Comment

• achjimmy
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • Blue Mtns

Personally I like the rear air, it also improves air to the second row and gives the kids a control, helps with carsickness. The auto wipers are the Pajeros best wank feature IMO. They just work so well I love them. Most of the other features I would give up. Personally I wish MM would just put a decent seat in the Pajero. The seating for me is the worst, and i see that the GL now has seat airbags so getting one of them and replacing the seats is now not possiable.
                      Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                      MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
                      99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• Lurch
                        • Jan 2012
                        • WA

Originally posted by pauld View Post
                        Reverse camera in mirror is on MM website & in cars on car sales, perhaps this was added after you bought...
                        Maybe, though i bought mine in February this year so unless there has been an update.
                        I might check the maufacture date to suss things out.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X