• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
    The Dick Cepek Trail Country comes in 3 versions so you need to be careful what version is fitted.

P265/65R18 load index 114 extra load Passenger Construction light/medium duty AT.

OJ.
    That's me.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• alanymarce
      • Apr 2015
      • Colombia

Originally posted by cruisn06 View Post
      The review of reviews... 22000kms through Africa without a single puncture, flat, or blow out.

We put 40,000 Km on ours in Africa - same result - no punctures/flats/blowouts.

However we are now running Toyo Open Country ATs - recommended by the shop as being as good as the BFGs and a better price. They've been excellent so far.

Comment

• DINKY
        • May 2016
        • Traralgon Vic.

Pickle, update on yr new tyres pls.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Old pops
          • Aug 2020
          • United Kingdom

I have them on mine and wife’s car great all round tyres used to have cooper at3 sport quieter but the tyre side walls went whits looked like I had bought white wall tyres so went for bfg great all round tyre👍

Comment

• Pickle
            Administrator
            • Jun 2007
            • All over Oz

Originally posted by DINKY View Post
            Pickle, update on yr new tyres pls.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
            Not really much to report because of lockdown in Melb making it hard to get out anywhere, be lucky if I have done 500 klms on them. Got the paj out in the wet one day and was impressed with the grip going through a couple of roundabouts in 2wd. Can't help with much more than that at this stage
            Dave
            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2013
              • Brisbane

After 120k on the KOs (still had tread so kept for camper trailer) I have had the KO2 (LT) for about 70k (265/75/R16). Heaps of tread left. Starting to get noisy now but upgrading the speakers has fixed the issue. Wet on-road performance is starting to go but no concern in a vehicle with superselect. I used to do about 60k a year but now do less than 10k so the tyres are probably starting to get a bit hard causing the noise and wet perfomance deterioration.

I haven't tried them off-road in a long time apart from on the beach.

I would certainly go BFG again but they will probably bring out KO3 before I need a new set.
              2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2013
                • Brisbane

I have found that the BFG KO2 were good in the wet for approx. 60-70K. Definitely use 4H in the wet now that they are around 80K and been on for a few years. (4 tyre rotation)

I can't compare to other brands when 2 sets of BFG have covered the last 200K and 8+ years.
                2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Shopping Trolley View Post
                  I have found that the BFG KO2 were good in the wet for approx. 60-70K. Definitely use 4H in the wet now that they are around 80K and been on for a few years. (4 tyre rotation)

I can't compare to other brands when 2 sets of BFG have covered the last 200K and 8+ years.
                  I too have had 2 sets of BFG KO's and they were a tough reliable tyre on and off road except for 2 shortcomings.

1. I found as the tyres aged they tended to pop off the bead at low tyre pressures (12psi to 16psi) when in sand.

2. I found the tyre tended to aquaplane in very heavy rain and over 80kph.

The tread design is not optimal for good wet bitumen performance.

Tyres need 3 attributes to be good wet weather tyres.

1. Tread compound should have a high Silica content.
                  2. Micro snipes on the tyre should be full depth, micro snipes allow the tread block to flex as the tyre contacts the road surface and "pump" the water out from between the road surface and the tread blocks.
                  3. Mutiple circumfrential lineal drainage channels across the tread face, these channel the water quickly away from under the tyres contact face. Most HT tyres will have 5 or more channels, AT & AT/MT will have between 2 and 5 channels and MT tyres tend not to have any channels. BFG KO do not have any circumfrential drainage channels, so the water tends to be pushed outwards fron the tyre ontact patch rather than rearwards, you can see this if you follow a vehicle in wet weaather and take note of the spray pattern and how "dry" the road appears after the tyre has driven along the road surface.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• jaffles
                    jaffles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes had BFG AT in the old pattern and BGF muds before. They were OK and agree they get loose in the wet as they age or wear. Good mate has had Micky ATZ once, didn't rate them. Same mate had Goodyear Silent Armour which had high silica content, he bought them only once as well. Another mate swears Cooper ST but they are such a polarising tyre. I've had a set of Goodyear Duratracs for a short bit till the car drowned. Nice but too expansive I feel. Not doing Bridgestone Dueller At even if they are given to me.

I'm not a zippy driver but I live where wet roads are common. Good stropping power in the wet is a bit of a priority. Most AT's don't rate high in this category so its a compromise as usual.

Thanks for all the suggestions but perhaps my biggest hurdle is whats available.

Reading TyreReview.com.au some of the tyres mentioned like the Maxxis AT881 read ok, but there aren't that many reviews and most are all under 10,000km. Think most tyres are great for the first 30K. There are plenty of hi milage reviews for the Toyo so think they may get the guernsey for this time.

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X