• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelly
    • Sep 2009
    • South Australia

Strange Noise maybe rear end

Our Pajero has slowly developed a noise which we think is coming from the rear end area.
    Kind of think it might be suspension noise as it comes when the vehicle turns into corners and some times but not always over bumps.
    We have ARB 2inch lift kit since new with HD springs and air bags and tow a caravan, currently have 140,000 kms on the clock. So wondering where to start .
    Its a Bonk sort of sound. so could it be'
    1) Shockers
    2) Springs
    3) Bushes in the arms ( kinda thinking this as the likely ?)
    4) Drive shafts.
    5) Could it be a transmission issue although i have noticed any other trans gear changing issues.

Usually like to have a go myself, but as we don't have a hoist, maybe i need to find a mechanic shop to look at it.
    Until now it only happens now and then, but today i drove the car for the first time in 8 weeks, its a cold day here and it was very noticeable.

Thought i might ask in case others have had issues and can offer an idea where i should begin to look.
    Cheers Kelly.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Kelly,

The Gen 4 Pajero with its monocoque construction is very sensitive to noise transmission so it takes very little to create a detectable noise.

There are rubber insulators that sit between the base of the coil and the lower suspension arm, these wear through so there is metal to metal contact and this can cause a noise as the suspension articulates.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kelly
      • Sep 2009
      • South Australia

Hey OJ
      Thanks for the reply and your thoughts.
      You might be onto it, as the suspension set up is very hard with 500kg constant loa$ Springs, this was fitted for when we took off to do the lap of the map with caravan in tow for 2 ya trip. It tows the van beautifully but without van it’s a hard ride.
      So maybe these insulators have given up.
      Thanks for the tip.
      Cheers

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Polytuff insulators have proven to last the longest with aftermarket coils.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Trisome
          • Dec 2012
          • Bray Park

Hi Kelly

Have a look under "metallic noise when rear wheels hit a bump"

Trisome
          2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

• Garc
            • May 2015
            • Perth

I know this is going to sound stupid but I recently found a long looked for bobbly noise when going over bumps. The plastic cover on the factory side step (pass side) had come loose and was wobbling onto the metal bracket. As OJ says the sound travels in these cars. The plastic cover has some hat-type clips which are screwed into the metal frame but also plastic flaps on the outside which are held in by plugs. Someone () had broken most of these flaps off by grinding them on rocks. Someone () had also bent the metal frame by hitting a rock under water (probably). Anyway I got a new metal frame and transplanted the plastic cover and securing it with metal cable ties through slots cut into the plastic cover. And glued down with neoprene as it was still moving.
            So, check your step covers.
            Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X