• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NTSWBWA
    • Jun 2017
    • Perth

NT Diesel SWB

Hi all,

I had been in the market for an NT shorty for sometime, after missing out on a nice example in Sydney I finally purchased a Diesel NT-X with sunroof and diff lock from Alice Springs.

Here’s a few pics from the previous owner before I collected t:

Before flying to Alice, I had it looked over by a local mechanic who highlighted some issues. I then decided fly over and purchase it. Next step was collecting the vehicle in Alice and driving back to Perth along the Great Central Road. We didn’t muck around, fuelled up including some jerry cans and off we went:

The Great Central Road was in pretty average condition. It had some decent amounts of rainfall in the previous few weeks and some of the wash outs and ruts were terrible in some places. We didn’t pass one car either way after the Olgas on the NT side until we got near Laverton on the WA end. I did manage to hit a bush turkey just west of Warburton. Unfortunately the little window chip stayed with me until I could get the window replaced in Kal

While in Kal I noticed some shock absorber damage that wasn’t present when I last looked at Warakurna roadhouse

I didn’t have it serviced when inspected before I purchased and drove back to Perth, which in hindsight was probably a little silly and a gamble. Once back in Perth I had it serviced which included ALL fluids, intake clean, tappet adjustment, replaced an engine mount, new suspension and new filters. Apart from a few minor issues the little Paj was given a clean bill of health

Last edited by NTSWBWA; 20-07-18, 11:45 PM. Reason: Grammar
  • NTSWBWA
    • Jun 2017
    • Perth

Here’s how it sits now with a 2inch lift all round.

As you can see it’s riding high in the back as I gutted the rear to give it a good clean and in preparation for the rear drawers being installed

More pics to come next week once the snorkel and auxiliary tank is installed.

Comment

• rgrubby
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2018
      • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by NTSWBWA View Post
      Hi all,

Nice wagon, and good work so far. We don't have many Diesel SWB gen 4s in NZ which is a shame as they would make great bush bashers.

That magnetic drain plug is interesting, I hadn't seen one before now. Which drain was it from? Is that an aftermarket thing? I've only seen my engine oil drain plug so far, so I don't know what the rest are like yet.

I look forward to more updates on your build, I'm always looking for inspiration
      2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• DID Dash
        • Aug 2016
        • Australia

Nice pick up, how many kilometre on it? Are you happy after living with it for the drive home? I had an NS shorty R diesel from new for about 6 years, great little tourer before kids came along. Enjoy.
        17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• NTSWBWA
          • Jun 2017
          • Perth

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
          Nice wagon, and good work so far. We don't have many Diesel SWB gen 4s in NZ which is a shame as they would make great bush bashers.

That magnetic drain plug is interesting, I hadn't seen one before now. Which drain was it from? Is that an aftermarket thing? I've only seen my engine oil drain plug so far, so I don't know what the rest are like yet.
          Thanks, mate. I believe it’s diff drain plug, factory as far as I’m aware.

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

Yep the diff and transfer case drain plugs are magnetic on my NS swb so probably same on NT.

Nice pick up mate.
            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• NTSWBWA
              • Jun 2017
              • Perth

Originally posted by DID Dash View Post
              Nice pick up, how many kilometre on it? Are you happy after living with it for the drive home? I had an NS shorty R diesel from new for about 6 years, great little tourer before kids came along. Enjoy.
              Thanks, 140K kms. It’s my first Pajero, I thought it went extremely well and handled the conditions (both the heat and road condition) on the Great Central Road nicely for a stock car. Essentially the car ran non stop from Alice Springs to Kalgoorlie, only stopping for fuel as we took turns driving.
              I do have concerns if space/GVM will become an issue for me (I did think quiet hard about the SWB and the reason for purchasing was it’s essentially a toy, and storage/ parking with my current living arrangements made it work a little better) But I will mostly be going camping by myself with mates or with my partner and no kids. I think once I get the rear setup how I want it (drawers/storage without the rear seats) I’ll be able to get over my OCD and relax a little.
              Last edited by NTSWBWA; 21-07-18, 06:42 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

• NTSWBWA
                • Jun 2017
                • Perth

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                Yep the diff and transfer case drain plugs are magnetic on my NS swb so probably same on NT.

Nice pick up mate.
                Thanks Aussieintas

Comment

• MSF
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2009
                  • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Niiiice

Comment

• NTSWBWA
                    • Jun 2017
                    • Perth

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                    Niiiice
                    I blame all you shorty owners for giving me ideas

Comment

• MSF
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • Sydney, Northern Beaches

ha ha ha ha

My next Shorty will be much more modded.... Still looking for the right starting vehicle !!

Comment

• NTSWBWA
                        • Jun 2017
                        • Perth

Another dodgy iPhone picture that gives some idea of the 2 inch lift.

Also purchased this. I hope to install and set it up over the weekend

Comment

• NTSWBWA
                          • Jun 2017
                          • Perth

Picked up a set of steelies from forum member aaron, thanks mate They are off for blasting and powder coating tomorrow, should have them back next week.

Comment

• NTSWBWA
                            • Jun 2017
                            • Perth

I spent some time last week replacing all the clips on the front plastic trim. While I was as it I decided to paint the front grille. I think it turned ok for a home jobby.

Before:

After. I’ll grab a shot another day of it on the car. I’m currently installing some spotties and it’s a bit messy at the front.
                            Last edited by NTSWBWA; 02-08-18, 09:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• NTSWBWA
                              • Jun 2017
                              • Perth

Long range tank successfully installed and ready to go. I have only filled it once so far and it went without a problem.

TJM airtek snorkel also added. No noise issues which is great.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X