• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomlola
    • May 2010
    • Brisbane

From NP to NX ? What to know ?

Hi,

My NP GLX is getting old and I am interested in a NX or NW (GLX).

What was your experience about the transition?

A few concerns - off the top of my mind - about the NW/NX are :
    • DMF (my NP clutch/DMF died when high tide was coming - stressful recovery - never again!)
    • Boot door has now a plastic latch it seems (steel on the NP, a kick to lock the door is handy!)
    • Spare wheel seems unusable due to all the bits and cover on it (e.g: bin bag)
    • Should I go NW instead of NX?
    • What else would you say?

PS: Really unfortunate that we cannot scavenge much from the NP for the NX (e.g: bushskinz plates and rockslider ):

Cheers guys for the insights

PS: I did read sharkcaver interesting blog from his NP to NX migration. Thanks for the details and effort.
    NP MY05 DiD
  • Vicbitter
    • May 2016
    • Melbourne

You can get an NX pre dpf.

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

You won't get an NX manual transmission. From memory, they were all autos. Early model NX had no DPF, but from late 2016 they introduced it back again.

There is little difference between the NW and the NX - mainly cosmetic (Daytime Running lights, different style spare wheel cover etc). From memory, they dropped the petrol engine at the NT model, so it will all be diesels.

Comment

• tomlola
        • May 2010
        • Brisbane

My NP is diesel and manual and yes I am aware that they are now all Diesel and Auto only. I am fine with that.

The DMF thingo stresses me out but with an Auto it may not be a problem at all. I am aware that the first NXs are SMF indeed but I am not planning to hunt them down because I am unable to check that anyway. Why did they go from SMF to DMF smack bang in the middle of a serie, that's weird, isn't it?

Forgot to say, I'll buy a used one.
        NP MY05 DiD

Comment

• Seigried
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2016
          • brisbane

You should be able to reuse your bash plates. 90% sure the the same goes for rock sliders.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
            You should be able to reuse your bash plates. 90% sure the the same goes for rock sliders.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
            I bought Boos bash plates for my NP, never fitted them, put them on my NX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• pharb
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Tyers,Vic

Manual box discontinued in June 2015. Found that out just after I bought my May 2015 NX manual.

But I expect they are very rare, up until they were discontinued.

I think DPF wasn't introduced until 2017 model.

I went from NJ to NX. Didn't realise the spare wheel cover was different to NW and earlier.

I was to stingy to spend the money on a factory spare wheel lift, so I made my own out of a couple of strips of 10mm flat bar, then removed the uppermost section of the cover and trimmed up the top of the main section. This enabled a 265/70R17 tyre to fit and clear a normal ball type triler coupling.
              PCOV Member 1107.
              Daily driver NX GLX
              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
              Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
              Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                I think DPF wasn't introduced until 2017 model.
                It came back around October 2016 so not all MY2016 are DPF free.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

As Ian H says build date October 16 and onwards will have DPF.
                  2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

The MY17 onwards had a change in final drive ratio from 3.917 to 3.6?? and this was done (in theory) to improve fuel economy when the DPF was fitted. Problem is the engine labours more under load in all gears as the auto changes up too early, so you need to use the sports shift to change up gears later and at higher RPMs when climbing steep hills and towing. Fitting an Auto Mate may improve the problem but I have not seen any feedback on this.

Some MY17 owners also report driveline harmonics when in 4H AWD, I strongly suspect this is also a side effect of the diff ratio change.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• m_and_m
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Here were my first impressions

2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• farcanal
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                        Nice comparison of the 2 models.
                        One big disappointment I have with my NX over the NP is the pathetic fuel and temp gauges. Difficult to read in daylight hours especially when wearing sunnies. I mean, who doesn't wear sunnies in Oz?
                        I find I have to lift my sunnies to get a reading sometimes.

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by farcanal View Post
                          Nice comparison of the 2 models.
                          One big disappointment I have with my NX over the NP is the pathetic fuel and temp gauges. Difficult to read in daylight hours especially when wearing sunnies. I mean, who doesn't wear sunnies in Oz?
                          I find I have to lift my sunnies to get a reading sometimes.
                          Have you tried adjusting the dash light brightness? On my NT, the dash lights are always on, and the brightness is independently adjustable for headlights on / headlights off. I have the dash lights brighter with the lights off than with the lights on.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• farcanal
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                            Have you tried adjusting the dash light brightness? On my NT, the dash lights are always on, and the brightness is independently adjustable for headlights on / headlights off. I have the dash lights brighter with the lights off than with the lights on.
                            Yeah, I have them at the brightest setting.
                            On a bright sunny day the instruments are just bloody difficult to read, especially fuel and temp gauges. Even the speedo. Just a terrible choice of colour scheme in my opinion.
                            I recently hired a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross and I found the instruments in that car far superior.
                            You have to wonder why it's not identical across the whole range.

Comment

• dreamerman
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                              Some MY17 owners also report driveline harmonics when in 4H AWD, I strongly suspect this is also a side effect of the diff ratio change. OJ.
                              Is that why 2WD is smoother and less vibration than 4WD?
                              03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X