• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RyanR
    • Sep 2018
    • Sydney

Fitting electric brake controller

Hi everyone

We bought a jayco (yeeaj) but now I need an electric brake controller.
    Already have an OEM towbar.

I think I’ll have the redarc tow pro fitted by my local ARB or TJM.
    They say they can fit it all ready to go. Looking at the redarc website that means controller and wiring.

On here I hear you guys talk about a MM wiring kit.
    Do I need this kit or is the redarc wiring kit the same/similar?

Hope for a clarification

Cheers
    My introduction:
    https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=62295
  • Stinky
    • Jul 2007
    • Gladstone, qld

Originally posted by RyanR View Post
    Hi everyone

They say they can fit it all ready to go. Looking at the redarc website that means controller and wiring.

Hope for a clarification

Cheers
    You can use either the MM wiring kit or the Redarc wiring kit. When I did mine I used the Redarc. Redarc is dearer than the MM but comes with a couple of extras inc. mounting bracket for the controllers black box. Either one will work.
    Cheers, Mike.
    The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
    My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

• Muzza
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Nsw

If you are going to do this job yourself, best to get a set of plastic trim removal tools, I fitted the MM kit wasn’t hard just need to be careful on trim parts.
      Muzza
      2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
      2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
      2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

I went with the MM harness. Guaranteed to fit BUT I have also heard that the factory harness is also tied in with the accelerator when braking.....know idea if this is fact or fiction.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Muzza
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Nsw

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
          I went with the MM harness. Guaranteed to fit BUT I have also heard that the factory harness is also tied in with the accelerator when braking.....know idea if this is fact or fiction.
          Fiction
          Muzza
          2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
          2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
          2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Hi everyone

Hope for a clarification

Cheers
            I recently fitted one to A Triton, Redarc Tow Pro Elite, made my own wires easy enough, with newer cars includes Triton, the Canbus controlled system when the brake over ride is activated it can back feed the vehicle & play havick. Example if I drive & rest foot on brake pedal in A Triton it will cut acceleration, also has stability control etc.
            Redarc advise Canbus vehicles must fit diode in brake light wire to stop backfeed for this reason & stabilty control etc so vehicle does not see the over ride being actuated, when you manually press the button trailer brakes only
            Pretty simple to do, so answer is no you dont need genuine or Redarc harness or any other harness for that matter, going price fitted though seems to be between $550 & $600.
            Any useful Auto elec should be able to do the job easy enough & you can buy unit anywhere online & or from fitter.
            Last edited by Jasonmc73; 14-07-19, 05:21 PM.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• john pajero
              • Dec 2016
              • melb

Hi Ryan

I have recently installed 3 tow pro elites. (if you can go for the elite version it is far superior as it has a smart function that eases the brakes on according to how hard you try to stop. It works off an inertia sensor)

There is a good wiring diagram in the user manual which I followed without buying a kit. The unit can be mounted anywhere in any orientation and doesn't need a mounting bracket.
              As the control dial is connected via an ethernet cable it is possible to mount the controller anywhere in the vehicle and use a longer ethernet cable to connect the control dial to the dash.

Also, red arch are really helpful over the phone if you have a technical qn.

Cheers,
              John

2006 NP 3.2DID Auto, Smart bar, Glind heat exchange shower system, Boos bash plates, Redarc towpro elite, Custom roof rack, Ebay snorkel, winch, Kings awning, Old school uniden UHF, diff breathers, Custom sliders, Middle exhaust delete, Custom quick remove rear shelf.

Comment

• RyanR
                • Sep 2018
                • Sydney

Many thanks for all the excellent replies!!

I’ll go for the redarc tow pro v3 but I’ll probably have it fitted by my local TJM.
                Maybe I’ll have them fit some power wires as well, the jayco comes with a 12 pin which includes power to the trailer battery. Haven’t made up my mind on this yet.

Thanks again, gents👍🏻
                My introduction:

Comment

• Morten
                  • Jul 2018
                  • Aberdeen NSW

Many thanks for all the excellent replies!!

Maybe I’ll have them fit some power wires as well, the jayco comes with a 12 pin which includes power to the trailer battery. Haven’t made up my mind on this yet.

Thanks again, gents👍🏻
                  Tow Pro Elite is the way to go......with the 12 pin plug on your van, check the wiring...mine(Outback Expanda) came with a 12 pin, and the power wire I think your referring to was to run the fridge on 12V from the car when travelling, not for charging the battery....I've done some some fancy rewiring on mine

Comment

• RyanR
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Sydney

Good point, Morten

I’ve got the Jayco fitment instructions and it has 12v for the fridge but also 12v and ground to the battery. I’ll have TJM fit it accordingly
                    My introduction:

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X