• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimster99
    • Jan 2019
    • UK

How to adjust tyre pressure for ambient temperature

Question - do the manufacturer tyre pressure level recommendations remain correct in all ambient air temperatures? Or do I need to make an adjustment for the actual ambient air temperature?

In other words, if my manual tells me to use 30psi for all tyres (tested when the tyres are 'cold'), can I pump in 30 psi regardless of whether the air temp is 0 degrees c or 45 degrees c and then drive with the tyres being correctly pressurised (assuming the ambient air temp remains the same)?

Or should I (in theory) put extra pressure in when the air temp is hotter and lower it slightly when cold?

Answer doesn't seem obvious to me!

Thanks.
  • 4ndy
    • Jun 2018
    • North West United Kingdom

30psi is a different volume of air depending on the temperature.

My wife's Hyundai's TPM goes off every winter as it thinks there's a leak, it's just the ambient air temperature dropping causing the relative pressure to drop.

If you check your tyres every few weeks then you won't have an issue as you'll be adjusting in-line with the changing season.

Andy - from the colder and wetter UK!
    MY13 (NW) SG2 LWB

Foot Rest, Android Head Unit, EGR Resistor Mod (10k), "Car Shades", Other Stuff in Process....
    My Build Thread.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

The answer is Yes, inflate you tyre's to the rested/cold inflation pressure regardless of ambient temperature.

As a general "rule of thumb" it is suggested that you are looking for a 4psi increase in tyre pressure for passenger construction tyre's (6psi for light truck construction), this is the pressure increase between the rested cold pressure (over night) and the tyre pressure after about 1 hour of driving. Depending on the load you are carrying, speed you are travelling, roads that you are traversing and the ambient temperature will all influence the pressure increase of the tyre to its optimal operating pressure.
      Note this "rule" only applies to bitumen road driving.

As tyre tyre rotates it deforms and flexes, this causes heat to build up in the tyre and the pressure inside the tyre increases, if the starting/rested cold inflation pressure is too low then the tyre is flexing more than it should and the pressure will increase more than it should. If the tyre is over inflated at the cold pressure then the tyre will not flex and work how it is designed to. Severe over inflation results in accelerated wear in the centre of the tread and reduced handling and braking performance. The tyre is also the first shock absorber so over inflated tyre's not only result in a hard ride but also cause accelerated wear on shocker bushes. Under inflation will cause accelerated wear on the outside edges of the tyre and reduce handling. Severe under inflation will lead to tyre failure due to excessive heat build up and structural failure.

You do not need to get too hung up on pressures as long as you are within 2-4Psi of the manufacturers specifications. Several studies from Automobile Associations have reported that passenger cars are most likely to have under inflated tyre's where as 4wds are most likely to have overinflated tyre's. Most tyre shops inflate at the higher end of the range or even higher, as the majority of car drivers do not check tyre pressure regularly.

Nitrogen inflation is an expensive con job, if you are driving a race car or flying a high speed plane then yes it is important but for everyday driving the free air from the fuel stations is more than adequate, it naturally contains about 78% nitrogen anyway!
      I have access to free nitrogen and and still do not bother using it!

OJ.
      Last edited by old Jack; 08-07-19, 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling correction
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• jimster99
        • Jan 2019
        • UK

Thanks for the very thorough reply - that's interesting and it makes sense!

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by jimster99 View Post
          Thanks for the very thorough reply - that's interesting and it makes sense!

I have recently fitted a tyre pressure monitoring system to my Pajero and camper trailer. Very impressed with it. Simple to use and keep an eye on both pressure and temperature. It is the external valve cap screw on type and handles daily driving to off road travel.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• signo1985
            • Sep 2017
            • Perth

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            I have recently fitted a tyre pressure monitoring system to my Pajero and camper trailer. Very impressed with it. Simple to use and keep an eye on both pressure and temperature. It is the external valve cap screw on type and handles daily driving to off road travel.

Hi Dicko1, have you got a link for it?
            Wouldn't mind checking it out

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by signo1985 View Post
              I have the internal version of this system fitted to all 5 tyres.
              The external cap 4 wheel version is n easy retrofit and cheaper.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• signo1985
                • Sep 2017
                • Perth

Thanks OJ will check it out
                One easy question though: are you happy with it?

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Thanks OJ will check it out
                  One easy question though: are you happy with it?

Yes so far, I was recommended the internal system by NJswb so when I fitted a new set of tyres 8,000kms ago I spent an extra $210 on the 5 tyre internal system. Only time will tell if it has been worthwhile over the next 70,000kms, I get out of a set of tyres, it only has to save a half worn tyre from destroying itself and the unit has paid for itself.
                  Last year when I was traveling with NJswb and his system alerted him to a higher than normal temperature which we tracked down to a frozen brake caliper and dragging brake. Earlier this year I ruined a 95% worn tyre on a beach run, when it rapidly deflated. Had I a TPMS I might have saved the tyre and been able to repair, reinflate and use as a spare rather than having a shredded tyre and no usable spare for the rest of the trip.

OJ.

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

This is for the 6 sensor unit. Has no trouble picking up the trailers sensors as well as the cars. As I said..I went with external for ease of use. Any problems and I,m not paying a tyre store to take tyre off. You will have to do this when batteries need changing..12-18 months...external are easy. The pressure readings are almost identical to the tyre compressor I use as well.

Hot deals for Masten 6 TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Caravan Truck RV Sensor LCD 4WD Wireless 4x4 available only on www.digoptiions.com
                    Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      I,m not paying a tyre store to take tyre off. You will have to do this when batteries need changing..12-18 months...external are easy.
                      The three different systems I've had, the internal sensor batteries are not replaceable, but last for 5 years. Then the sensors need to be replaced, if you can find replacements.

Or you could buy a new system. My current Masten system was a little over $200 for a 5 tyre system. If it lasts 5 years, thats less than $50 per year. I'll spend a more on than that on tyres, balancing and wheel alignments - excluding rotations, that I now do myself.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        The three different systems I've had, the internal sensor batteries are not replaceable, but last for 5 years. Then the sensors need to be replaced, if you can find replacements.

Or you could buy a new system. My current Masten system was a little over $200 for a 5 tyre system. If it lasts 5 years, thats less than $50 per year. I'll spend a more on than that on tyres, balancing and wheel alignments - excluding rotations, that I now do myself.

Your right about the sensor batteries. External 12-18 months and internal 4-5 years (have heard of issues before this time though with both types). sO SOUNDS LIKE INTERNAL SENSORS HARD TO FIND..
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• benckj
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Alexandra , New Zealand

I’ve run a Tyredog external TPMS for the past 5 years and it’s saved me numerous times. Biggest advantage is through other family drivers like the wife & kids. They now understand the importance of tyre pressure and alert me if something isn’t right.

The nice thing about external sensors is the system can be swapped around to other cars. We have often take out Audi on road trips and car doesn’t have a spare instead it uses a tyre repair kit. That would work fine with a puncture but shredding the rubber isn’t fixable. Need to catch problem much sooner than that.

Comment

• wilyum
                            • Jul 2008
                            • Canberra

G`day ,
                            I have used tyre dog but have been using Safety Dave for the last 5 yrs . Both are valve cap systems and work well , however I prefer the Safety Dave unit. Both give you pressure and temperature readings .
                            Cheers,
                            Wilyum

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X