• Show
Clear All
  • Poita
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • Adelaide

Rhino vs Frontrunner vs Tradesman platform

Looking for a new rack for the NX. Need help choosing! Criteria :
    Must be low profile to get into undercover carparks.
    Must be light weight (aluminium).
    Be far enough back from the front window to be able to mount a light bar without inducing glare on the windscreen.

Stuff to be carried / mounted on the rack (not all at once):
    Gas bottle (occasionally)
    Shovel
    UHF antenna
    MSA gear bag
    Kids bikes
    2nd spare wheel
    Awning

What are people's thoughts for the better option? Had a rhino platform on the old car. It was good but the anodised finish was crap, it peeled off after 3 years.
    NW VRX MY2013
    Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

I have had a Frontrunner rack on the Challenger for 7 years, it's is fitted with 6 grab feet that directly clamp on to the factory rails, it has worn well but the very durable black epoxy coating has scratched off in a few places due to carrying alumium ladders.
    It gets used at least once a month to carry stuff that will not fit or I do not want to put in the car.

I purchased it based on the following criteria;
    1. Size availability for my needs (Rhino too big, especially in width)
    2. Transverse slats (stronger and less deflection under load than longitudinal slats of Rhino)
    3. Lowest profile when fitted.
    4. Lightest weight for platform area.
    5. Has a small lip (22mm) on all 4 sides so it assists with locating the load (Rhino is completely flat)
    6. Has flat solid (not hollow) vertical front, side and rear edges so easier to attach UHF, antenna, shovel quick grabs and lights to.

The range has increased since I brought mine so I would go one size longer and replace the factory rails with the backbone system if I was to do it again. Factory rails have help up well but I do limit the load to 60 kg when touring.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

I've got the Rhino SX tray on my NX, attached to the roof rails. No problem in car parks but it is tight in some.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Poita
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2010
        • Adelaide

Ended up with the Rhino backbone system. 20% of at Autobarn and a free Rhino Dome Awning. To good to pass.
        I really liked the Frontrunner but was struggling to justify the extra cost for the amount I use it.
        NW VRX MY2013
        Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X