• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacob.naturberg
    • Sep 2018
    • Renmark, Riverland, SA

Transmission Case covered in fluid / oil – NG 1990 2.5l t-diesel 4D56 EXE

Hej guys,

I bought 'Franky' mid Sept. in Melbourne with 337,000 km and am now with 340.280 km in Adelaide. I've driven with him through the Desert and Murray-Sunset National Parks on rough corrugations and some nice sand dunes. It was my first real outback 4x4 experience and fun.

Since I bought it, shifting gears (especially into the 1st and 2nd) was always a bit heavy. But it got always easier after driving half an hour or so.

I also recognised, that when I drove for some time, stopped and got out of the car, that there was a for a few seconds a smell what I can only describe as burning rubber. I haven't figured out, where it comes from. Maybe just the tyres?

And yesterday I found oil on the driveway, had a look under the car and found the transmission case covered in oil. I guess that's not really healthy.

Anyone any suggestion what I can or should do?

After a bit research I figured that it would be a good idea to get the transmission oil serviced, as I don't know, when it was the last time. I also read about that I could do it on my own, but couldn't find any helpful instructions ... Could be better anyway to get it done by a professional. But then again: flush and filter change or not?

Here some pictures:

Cheers,
    Jacob

___

FRANKY – Pajero 1990 NG Superwagon EXE 2.5l Turbo Diesel 4D56 Manual
    Last edited by jacob.naturberg; 22-10-18, 11:56 PM.
    FRANKY –– Pajero NG WSG 1990 4D56T 2.5l Turbodiesel intercooler V5MT1 Gearbox
    https://naturberg.co –– @jacob.naturberg
  • TomW
    • Mar 2017
    • Melbourne

The pictures did not come out but if you have the manual transmission then the service procedure is as simple as drain the old oil, then refill until it comes out the filler plug. Same process for the transfer case and diffs.

I would say however if it is actively leaking there is no point until you can fix the leak first. You could try cleaning the underside with degreaser / pressure washer to get an idea of were the leak is coming from, and make a decision based on what you find.

Comment

• jacob.naturberg
      • Sep 2018
      • Renmark, Riverland, SA

Thanks Tom, you're probably right. That's why I cleaned the underbody now to hopefully see where it leaks:

Comment

• TomW
        • Mar 2017
        • Melbourne

Obviously fixing it would be the best thing to do but presuming it is only leaking slightly (i.e. not gushing out or anything) then there is no reason you you couldn't just keep topping it up. As long as the gearbox does not run completely dry then you should be fine. If it is a major leak then it really should be fixed before driving much further to prevent damage to the transmission.

Comment

• jacob.naturberg
          • Sep 2018
          • Renmark, Riverland, SA

It seems, that it only leaks when I drive. Now were it's clean I can't see anything after last night. So I'll give it a good drive today and then I hopefully see, where it's coming from.

Comment

• TomW
            • Mar 2017
            • Melbourne

just make sure the old adage is not true before driving to far... "if there is no oil under it, there is no oil in it"

Comment

• jacob.naturberg
              • Sep 2018
              • Renmark, Riverland, SA

Will see. When gear shifting is getting better after an hour drive than there should be something in it.

Someone else commented, that it could be the wrong oil in it when it's getting better after some minutes driving when it warms up. Could be also why it is leaking ...

Comment

• jacob.naturberg
                • Sep 2018
                • Renmark, Riverland, SA

Just to have it here covered for everyone who's got the same problem or is looking for a decent guide on how to change transmission & transfer case oil:

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Jacob,

Not sure if early Pajero's had the same problem but Isuzu' had a problem where the oil from the transfer case would blow out the transfer case breather. Root cause was the gearbox oil level was higher than the transfer case oil level and the shaft seals that separated the gearbox and transfer case would leak so the gearbox would get low on oil and hard to change gears and the transfer case woul get over full and when the driveline got warm/hot the excess oil in the transfer case would be blown out the transfer case breather.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

It would really help if you could get your photos working - not being able to see the problem makes it harder to understand the leak.

You say "transmission case" - is this your gearbox, or transfer?

Gen 2s have a problem with the welch plug in the front output shaft. When they leak, oil covers the entire transfer, and can splatter the entire underside of the vehicle, then get sucked all over the rear of the vehicle by turbulence.

If this is your problem, one DIY fix is to clean the outside of the welch plug, and seal it with epoxy resin (i.e. Araldite or similar). If you attempt this, use the 24hour stuff, as the 5 minute stuff will soften at normal running temperatures.

For me, this fix lasted about 5 years - and gave way on a trip to the Vic High Country.

Edit: for the notchy shift problem, try Nulon G70 additive. It was recommended here by GHendo, and I'm a convert.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X