• Show
Clear All
  • amec
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Wamberal

Second fuel filter

Hi all, bought one of these

Thinking the only space available is between the air box and the brake master cylinder. Anyone done this before? Keen on some pointers.

Thanks.
    PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.
  • BMN
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2010
    • Perth WA

Make sure you place it pre-fiter to the main/orig filter. Worth checking the flow rate etc of the new filter in that it won't restrict flow. I just change main filter more regularly and always carry spare if going bush....KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid
    2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• amec
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Wamberal

If I can't find an easy way to mount a second filter, I think I will just keep a spare with " the kit " and change if the need arises.
      PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• BMN
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2010
        • Perth WA

To be honest i think you need to spend $250 plus on a high flow filter....i would do some homework before fitting the super cheap filter. I did look into fitting extra filter a few years ago and decided the cost and extra maintenance was not worth it. Better spending $ on replacing main more regularly IMO
        2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• 02-SR5
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2010
          • Toowoomba

It's a Ryco product, can't be too bad.

I'd just keep a spare factory filter in the spares box.
          MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• coughy
            Valued Member
            • May 2014
            • Redlands Brisbane QLD

dont waste your time as it dont go low enough for the microns
            mount it right next to the original
            the original is a 8micron so mount that on before the oem
            i have a 2 micro mounted after the oem
            as for $250 not needed at all mine flows more than the challenger will ever need
            cant remember the spec right now

sorry about the catch can i have since moved it but you get the gist

My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
            New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• fester
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Gympie Qld

I think you will find the Ryco one is a waste of time, it is just a generic filter. I cannot find the micron spec on Ryco web site which is why I say it is a waste of time. Change the factory one more often or get a quality diesel one that you know the micron rating of, get a lower micron rating and fit it after the factory one. No point fitting before.

Some people argue that the factory spec allows for particles less than 8 micron to pass through the system and the system is designed to tolerate that so additional filters are not necessary. Some people do fit one before that has cheap filters and use that as their primary so they don't have to change expensive factory filters very often but if you still have warranty and get serviced by the dealer that is negated too.

Be clear what you are trying to achieve and act accordingly but that Ryco filter in my book has no place in any sensible scenario and that has nothing to do with price.

Comment

• amec
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Wamberal

Thanks for the advice.

I think I will return the Ryco thing and just keep a spare element for the oem filter.

Comment

• Hill
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Adelaide

Amec

Your idea of fitting a secondary fuel filter is along the right track. No specific specifications are available from MM re filtration efficiency. For my NT I have estimated factory filter to be around 10 microns @95% efficiency.

Parker Racor are the only manufacturer ( that I can find)that make a specification re CRD filtration.

They state 3 microns at 95% efficiency for particle removal.

Donaldson make a cost effective kit, 3 micron @99% efficiency with 2 filters, barbs and head for a bit over $100. This also has good water removal properties and is rated at 114 litres an hour.

If you intend keeping your vehicle for the longer term this is a worthwhile addition and should help extend pump and injector life.

Added bonus is it will provide a second water trap. Water and dirt are the killers of CRD.

Donaldson recommend changing filter every 12 months and fitting it as a secondary filter ie after your factory filter.

I have my Donaldson kit fitted after factory filter as this makes sense to me.

Hill
                  200 Series
                  AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• supazuk
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Katherine

There are 1 or 2 micron cartridges available for the ryco filters. Will try and dig up the part #.
                    2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do

Comment

• Hill
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by supazuk View Post
                      There are 1 or 2 micron cartridges available for the ryco filters. Will try and dig up the part #.
                      Without an efficiency rating quoting 2 micron is meaningless. Chook wire in a filter could be quoted as 2micron however its efficiency rating would be very low - how about 0.0000000000000000000000000001%

Don't forget to also check if flow rate is suitable for alternative filters.

Hill
                      200 Series
                      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• coughy
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2014
                        • Redlands Brisbane QLD

Originally posted by coughy View Post
                        dont waste your time as it dont go low enough for the microns
                        mount it right next to the original
                        the original is a 8micron so mount that on before the oem
                        i have a 2 micro mounted after the oem
                        as for $250 not needed at all mine flows more than the challenger will ever need
                        cant remember the spec right now

sorry about the catch can i have since moved it but you get the gist

well here is the specs on my filter

i have the fm 100 series flow 300l per hour with 99.6 % efficiency @2 microns
                        damn good and only $120 delivered

FM 100 Series suitable for engines with fuel flow up to 80 US gals/hr. (about 350 HP).
                        FM 1000 Series suitable for engines with fuel flow up to 180 US gals/hr. (about 600 HP).
                        Simple to use - no tools required to change elements or install most modules.
                        Easily up-graded to include extra features without disconnecting fuel lines.
                        Spill-free element change.
                        Extremely efficient – all filters remove water and particles. Up to 99.6% efficient @ 2-micron
                        Made by America’s largest diesel fuel injection system manufacturer.
                        Specified by major OEMs such as John Deere, GM, Perkins, Ford, Caterpillar, Case, New Holland,
                        SISU, and others.
                        5. Installation
                        My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
                        New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• amec
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Wamberal

I couldn't put a second filter there if I wanted to. That space is taken up by the second battery. Returned the Ryco thing today.

Comment

• amec
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Wamberal

Originally posted by Hill View Post
                            Amec

Your idea of fitting a secondary fuel filter is along the right track. No specific specifications are available from MM re filtration efficiency. For my NT I have estimated factory filter to be around 10 microns @95% efficiency.

Parker Racor are the only manufacturer ( that I can find)that make a specification re CRD filtration.

They state 3 microns at 95% efficiency for particle removal.

Donaldson make a cost effective kit, 3 micron @99% efficiency with 2 filters, barbs and head for a bit over $100. This also has good water removal properties and is rated at 114 litres an hour.

If you intend keeping your vehicle for the longer term this is a worthwhile addition and should help extend pump and injector life.

Added bonus is it will provide a second water trap. Water and dirt are the killers of CRD.

Donaldson recommend changing filter every 12 months and fitting it as a secondary filter ie after your factory filter.

I have my Donaldson kit fitted after factory filter as this makes sense to me.

Hill
                            Any chance you could post a pic of the installation?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X