Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Are you allowed to install the 6th and 7th seats yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Plez
    • Jul 2018
    • South East QLD

Are you allowed to install the 6th and 7th seats yourself?

My NW came with 5 seats, I don’t really need 7 seats but I was wondering if I ever did am I allowed to install them myself? Just go to a wreckers and get the gear.

Cheers
    2013 NW, Grey, Auto, Diesel. Resistor EGR Delete, 2inch OZtec + Kings lift, 265/65/r17 Bridgestone Duelers. Custom 2.5inch turbo back exhaust with 200cell highflow cat and 12inch straight through resonator.
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

Does the compliance plate say its a 5, 5/7 or 7 seater? If it says its 5 seats only you might need a mod plate. Other than that the seats are made to be easily removed. So unless you have a model with no sub floor you should be ok.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Alben
      • Jul 2010
      • Victoria

If the mounting points and more importantly the seatbelts are there you should be able to put them in. Check your if the rego papers or plate on the vehicle say 5 or 7 passengers also.
      If it is only registered as 5 seater it will require more work to install them.
      Cheers
      Ben
      2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• dhula
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • South of Perth

If your Paj is licensed/rego'ed for 5 seats then will most likely need engineers check/report and rego change to make it licensed/rego'ed for 7 seats. Could end up costing you more than it's worth at resale time if you don't need the 7 seats.

I'm not sure what is/isn't there in the 5 seater mounting point wise but having looked quickly at a 5 seater GL a while back, there are a few brackets missing that you'd have to find/get plus the seat, belts, nuts/bolts etc. On problem might be the seat belts themselves, there are quite a few wreckers that will not sell 2nd hand seat belts due to unknown condition etc that adds to the risk of comeback if anything goes wrong so you might be up for new belts which could cost a motsa.
        2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
        2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Old Paj
          Pajero Club Life Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Heathcote, Vic

6th & 7th Seats

I must admit that I wasn't aware that the NW Pajero (or any of the later models for that matter) came as a 5 seat version. I have only ever seen Pajeros with 7 seats or as 5 seaters with the rear most row removed by the owners, but ordinarily this still leaves the seat belts etc. in place (though I don't doubt some owners remove these also).
          NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

• Seigried
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2016
            • brisbane

Some mine spec vehicles and the base spec GL were 5 seats with no subfloor. GL was still available on request till 2012 from memory.

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

Have a look at thread above.

Old Paj.....yep NW had 5 seater only models, from memory the GL and GLX, all others were 7 seaters.
              2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Plez
                • Jul 2018
                • South East QLD

Just had a look at the compliance, came as a 5 seater.

I've got the sub-floor where the seats fold into however, and my trim has the holes for seatbelts. I'll have to check out my managers Pajero when he brings his in next, his is 7 seater so ill be able to look at differences.

I didn't realise wreckers wouldn't want to sell seatbelts, but that definitely makes sense.

Like I said, its not a particularly big deal for me, I was just wondering about it this afternoon.

EDIT: can I determine GL vs GLX from the vin? Mine has roof racks, alloys, media controls, etc. which seems to be GLX, but maybe NW GL came with that stuff.
                Last edited by Plez; 13-08-18, 09:08 PM.
                2013 NW, Grey, Auto, Diesel. Resistor EGR Delete, 2inch OZtec + Kings lift, 265/65/r17 Bridgestone Duelers. Custom 2.5inch turbo back exhaust with 200cell highflow cat and 12inch straight through resonator.

Comment

• pharb
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                  If your Paj is licensed/rego'ed for 5 seats then will most likely need engineers check/report and rego change to make it licensed/rego'ed for 7 seats. Could end up costing you more than it's worth at resale time if you don't need the 7 seats.

I'm not sure what is/isn't there in the 5 seater mounting point wise but having looked quickly at a 5 seater GL a while back, there are a few brackets missing that you'd have to find/get plus the seat, belts, nuts/bolts etc. On problem might be the seat belts themselves, there are quite a few wreckers that will not sell 2nd hand seat belts due to unknown condition etc that adds to the risk of comeback if anything goes wrong so you might be up for new belts which could cost a motsa.
                  Bought aftermarket seat belts from auto parts store (Bursons) cheaper than I could from a wreckers.

For sons old NG 4 or 5 years ago.
                  PCOV Member 1107.
                  Daily driver NX GLX
                  Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                  Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                  Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• insect_eater
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Canberra

As mentioned above, GL and GLX NWs came standard with 5 seats, GLX (maybe GL) could be specced with 7. NT GLXs were 7 seats, and NX GLX are 7 seat, just the NW GLX was 5 seat. Why?
                    NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• Seigried
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2016
                      • brisbane

Also NS GLX had 7 seats. Not sure if it was an option or standard.

And the overseas models GL had a nine seat option that was standard on the 2017 GL

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Compliance will be your issue. I have an NX GXL 5 - a pretty rare beast. It has the sub floor, but no seat (obviously), nor its hinges, seat belts or seat locking latches. So you can readily install all those parts yourself to bring it back to 7 seat standard, but compliance will be your issue. If it's registered as a 5 seater, you will need a certificate to bring it legally to 7 seater standard. It sucks hey, but unless you find a cheap wreck, I doubt it would be a cheap option either.....not to mention the cost of certification required. I never planned to have 7 seated, so the GXL 5 with its lack of additional seating, lack of pay through the nose electric wankery, no rear air con and 17" factory rims fit my canvas well.
                        Last edited by sharkcaver; 13-08-18, 09:43 PM.
                        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X