• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Yes unfortunately some of the airbags have been replaced with new ones like for like. Reason airbags are being changed is the ammonium nitrate used to fire the bags can deteriorate over time especially in hot humid conditions. Due to lack of alternative parts manufacturers have had no choice but to change like for like, with at least the new bags giving them (and us) breathing space for a future replacement when more parts become available. Not ideal I know but with millions of vehicles to rectify at least its moving forward. Both my front bags were replaced last year and if they are done again in the future, well I'm OK with that.

Regarding the gearbox, i think any older vehicle with higher kms could fall into the "not unknown" for faults to occur........and not just possible issues with the gearbox.

To the OP Neil......obviously plenty to consider and everyone will have a differing view on which model is the best choice based on their own experience. Finding one with the best service history possible would be high on my priorities. Good luck choosing.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Neil100
      • Feb 2018
      • Laguna NSW

Yes thanks all. Certainly a bit to think about, i just have to focus on what my criteria is and not get distracted too much in other 'niceties'.

If i have to pay more at the pump then rather that than breaking down with no mobile reception and a potentially long walk in the dark!

Cheers all

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X