Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Should I change my stock suspensions for Canning Stock Route ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xdoclet
    • Feb 2013
    • Brisbane

Should I change my stock suspensions for Canning Stock Route ?

G'day guys,

I bought a new Pajero Active 2012 NW, a couple months back. I'm planning a trip to Canning Stock Route with my workmates or to Kimberley in case if the number of participants are less than eight (ie less than 3 vehicles).

A few of my mates suggested that I should replace my stock suspensions with Oldman Emu and to carry an extra fan belt, two spare wheels, etc., However, I'm not quite sure why would I have to replace my stock suspensions, given they're covered under the new car warranty.

Can I survive this trip with the stock suspensions + tyres ? Can someone shed some light on to the mechanical requirements please ?

Please accept my apologies if this question has already been raised by someone. I searched online to find some information but I couldn't find anything handy. BTW, I'm new to this forum :-)

Cheers
    xd
    Pajero Active 2012, GME 3520, BFG ATRs ++
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

CSR would have to one of the hardest trips on a vehicle due in particular to long stretches of corrugations. If you recall this is where Mercedes came a cropper with suspension failure on their new 4WD launch. There is probably just as much chance of doing damage to an aftermarket kit as the factory suspension, but I think there are other questions you should be asking..... How much weight do you intend to carry (suspension will sag under the weight) & how much ground clearance do you need. In my book a 2" lift with quality shocks and springs is mandatory on any Gen 3 / 4 pajero heading off-road. Bilstein shocks and Lovells springs seem to be the proven combination.

I mean this politely.... Are you sure you know what you are getting yourself into with a trip to the CSR?

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi xd,

Canning and Kimberly are two very different trips and so is the preparation and planing.

Kimberly I would rate as a 2 1/2 to 3 out of 5 in difficulty, you have many options in regards to your itinery, accommodation and difficulty. Distance to help for people and cars is quite small (less than 300 kms in most cases) and you have many alternatives should you need to change your plans at the last minute. A new 4wd with stock suspension, HT tyres with at least 60% tread, lightly loaded, not towing and driven carefully on the major routes should be fine. If you intend to do some of the more remote areas then LT tyres are a worthwhile investment and at least carry a spare tyre carcass.

The Canning Stock Route is 1800 km of remote off road track and is not to be taken lightly. You need to be completely self sufficent for the 2 to 3 weeks it takes, even with a fuel drop and picking up some water along the way. If The track conditions change and you can be stranded for days unable to move. Even the lightest of travellers will be near GVM on tracks that will destroy tyres and suspension no matter what brand. Excessive speed & weight are the 2 biggest factors in remote area failures that can have fatal consequences, help is up to 800 km away in some places and alternative route options are limited. The CSR is not for the inexperienced or the ill prepared, has the Trip Leader done the CSR before, what remote area experience do they have, do you trust them with your life. You can not "wing" the CSR, so you must have thought and discussed the what if's before you go ie; vehicle breakdown - tyres, suspension, fuel, mechanical, electrical and electronic, People- water, food, sickness and injury, how as a group are you prepared to handle one or more of these emergencies? Things will go wrong and it is how you handle them depends on whether it becomes a part of the adventure or the start of a chain of incidents that can quickly become fatal. CSR, I rate 5 out of 5 in difficulty not that the actual driving is difficult but because it is long and remote.

cheers, old Jack.
      Last edited by old Jack; 05-02-13, 12:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• mrbitchi
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Brisbane

^^^ What he said x2. IMO if you have to ask that question about the CSR then you're not ready for it. Do the Kimberley instead.
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• geoff&vi
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2009
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by xdoclet View Post
          G'day guys,

However, I'm not quite sure why would I have to replace my stock suspensions, given they're covered under the new car warranty.
          Absolutley no way you can get assistance from MM road side assistance. Warranty support for failed suspension parts whilst doing the CSR.... No way will MM entertain that.

Sorry to say, but as others have eluded to, if you arent sure how to prepare your vehicle for the CSR, you arent ready. Its is better to err on the side of caution and do the Kimberleys, than be a news story because of a worst case scenario on the CSR.

cheers
          Geoff
          GONE - 2010 VRX DiD Silver
          NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning

Comment

• likatiger
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2008
            • WAMBERAL NSW

xd,
            I fully concur with the others, it sounds to me (from the way your post reads) that you don't have much experience in serious outback trips.
            I apologise if that is incorrect.

By way of example, I consider myself to be a reasonably experienced out back tripper (Cape York, The Simpson, Vic High Country, Fraser Is plus numerous other fairly serious trips), undoubtedly like the others who have commented here BUT, I would be still be very nervous attempting the CSR and would go to serious lengths to have my vehicle as prepared as possible plus do heaps of research.

You do what you think is best but please don't think the CSR is just an out back drive.
            Cheers
            Larry
            NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• TC.Barky
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2011
              • Melbourne

The important thing to remember here is that the stock suspension (and the factory tyres) are NOT designed for this type of work. Even the most robust shock absorbers would struggle with the corrugations and terrain found on the CSR I would think. Many of the stock components including the suspension are designed for on-road comfort AND cheap manufacturing costs and will, simply put, fail. This holds true for every vehicle not just pajeros. The chances of them surviving the CSR are slim to none imo. Factory tyres I'm not familiar with but having had a look at them the other day when I took an NW for a test drive I wouldn't be taking them out either. Strong (LT) all terrains and a second spare (so 6 tyres all up) for sure.

As others have alluded to (and again no offence is meant from any of us) you need to do some major research on this trip (watch some youtube videos).

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

EDIT: This video shows the mercedes failure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fNwKYPX5ws
              Last edited by TC.Barky; 05-02-13, 03:04 PM.
              MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
              Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                • May 2009
                • Perth

I'll stick my head out and counter part of the above comment...Whilst the CSR is a lot more remote than say the Gibb River Road section of the Kimberley's, when it comes to obtaining assistance if required, you would be surprised just how many vehicles travel the CSR these days in peak season.

And as for taking HT tyres down the GRR or other parts of the Northern Kimberleys...Good luck.

In regards to the rest of the information put forth, I couldn't agree more.

Main thing to me in regards to the CSR.....its a desert (of which the Kimberley area is not) and needs to be taken with due respect.
                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• xdoclet
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Brisbane

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your feedback/comments. Let me detail a bit on where I'm coming from to make your life easier, so you'd be able to rate my 4x4 skills/knowledge and assist me accordingly.

I've been dragged into 4x4 driving by one of my friends, since I love nature+photography. I was happy to ride on the passenger seat but I was given the wheels after a crash course on 4x4 driving/recovery. I drove my friend's Nissan Patrol GU4 for about 2.5 years in around QLD/NSW/NT. Until he sold everything and left to Canada, to be with his better half. During my 4x4 adventures, my friend took care of the vehicle so I didn't had to worry on tyres, snorkels, recovery gear etc.

I bought this new Pajero Active to start 4x4 driving on my own. I figured out it's not easy as driving a well prepared/fine tuned vehicle. I had to start from the scratch on readying my vehicle. I drive 70% on tarmac, 30% offroad, hence I picked a Pajero which offers on road comfort + uncompromising 4x4 performance.

Coming back to the $ubject, I'm fully aware what it takes to march CSR and the risks involve with it. This is exactly the reason why we're preparing 6 months in advance. I have watched a dozens of youtube videos, read a number of articles/books and equipped ourselves but the vehicle. According to the Pajero specification the maximum payload it could carry is 750kg, so I'm just taking my brother with me. All the other vehicles that are coming with me don't carry more than 2-3 people in each.

We've made this decision to lower the weights we carry to reduce the burden on the suspension. This move helps us to have more essentials on board.

I do have a recovery gear but not planning to install a snorkel. I believe I should be able to go through Kimberley without a snorkel, in case we change our plans. I'll be installing a GME TX 4600 next week. Although many have recommended Coorper ATR I've picked Pirelli Scorpian ATR. Any comments on these please ? :-)

Comment

• xdoclet
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by geoff&vi View Post
                    Absolutley no way you can get assistance from MM road side assistance. Warranty support for failed suspension parts whilst doing the CSR.... No way will MM entertain that.

Sorry to say, but as others have eluded to, if you arent sure how to prepare your vehicle for the CSR, you arent ready. Its is better to err on the side of caution and do the Kimberleys, than be a news story because of a worst case scenario on the CSR.

cheers
                    Geoff

Good point, I could put what my dealer said to test. The dealer told me that MM covers its parts under the warranty as long as I don't deliberately damage the vehicle. I'm going to verify what the dealer said with MM to be on the safe side. If what you've said is correct, then the dealer has to pay for the misleading information, which is unethical IMO.

This is the first time I've got to prepare a vehicle compared to previous occasions, where I've had a well equipped Patrol at my doorstep. ;-)

Comment

• bigmitsu
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Redcliffe

If you break a shock absorber than Mitsubishi will probably replace it under warranty, however they do not pay for towing /transporting your vehicle to a dealer (I'm sure that's in your warranty book). I wouldn't think any roadside assist would cover the Kimberly or CSR so it's really your call.

Cheers

Darryl
                      2009 RX TD Auto - EFS suspension , Mickey T's STZ, Narva spotties, UHF with more on the wishlist, and now towing a 1999 Evernew Tandem van.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • Melbourne

I'm still not sure you completely understand (granted, I may be misinterpreting) that the stock shock absorbers won't hold up on this drive. It's not just about what will be covered under warranties etc, it's about being able to drive your vehicle out as it will likely cost you thousands and thousands (10k+) of dollars to get the vehicle recovered if you can't. If it were me, I'd be fitting a new kit and keeping the stock shock absorbers as spares. Cheap insurance.

You can reduce the load on the suspension, sure - but it's not going to save your shock absorbers over the corrugations. They just heat up and burst. You can see in the mercedes video I linked how poorly the vehicle handles without shock absorbers (it stops them being able to crest dunes as it just bounces everywhere out of control). Keep in mind those were bilsteins as well so you would think they would hold up better than whatever mitsu is putting in. Note that it cost them $20,000 to get new sets air dropped in as well.

We spent a long time in the vic high country (serious low-range work) without upgraded suspension but I'd never do a remote trip over corrugations (particularly to the extent of the CSR) without an upgraded kit.

Not having a go at you personally, I/we just don't want you to lose your hard earned investment that you've put into this vehicle or to put yourself in danger
                        MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                        Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• pauld
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • Melbourne

A bit over a thousand $ and you will have suspension that should make it through the CSR or anywhere else you care to take it. It will be lifted to a sensbile height to reduce the chance of damage & reduce (not eliminate) the chance of starting fires on dry grass. In my opinion it will also handle better on road.
                          2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Not Ready!

Originally posted by xdoclet View Post
                            Although many have recommended Coorper ATR I've picked Pirelli Scorpian ATR. Any comments on these please ? :-)
                            Sorry xd, but your choice of tyres tells me that you and your mates are a long way off of being mentally/technically ready let alone experienced enough to tackle the CSR even with 6 months and $$$ to spend. Pirelli ATR's to suit a 2012 Pajero with factory 17" or 18" rims will either be P265/65-17 or P265/60-18 both these tyres offer similar load carrying capacity and the same durability as factory HT's the only difference is a slightly more aggressive tread pattern. These a good tyres for the bitumen, good dirt roads or a beach run but that is where it ends, in the Kimberly on main roads and lightly loaded at reduced speeds ok but anything off the main drag, will end in tears. It is not fair to rely on other travellers to help you out because you are ill prepared. I don't mind helping someone out who is properly prepared and has had some bad luck but as for risking myself and/or my vehicle for someone who shouldn't be there in the first place thats another matter, I take a very dim view of someone ruining my trip! Remember it is not only your own lives that are at risk, its the lives of other travellers too.

respectfully, old Jack.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• geoff&vi
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2009
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                              I take a very dim view of someone ruining my trip! Remember it is not only your own lives that are at risk, its the lives of other travellers too.

respectfully, old Jack.

Guys,

lets remember, XD has admitted he doesnt have the experience or knowledge and is a newby to the 4WD scene. He has done the right thing and asked for opinions and advice, so lets keep the constructive assitance flowing. Its not as if he is a backpacker, hiring a Troopy and heading out ignorant to the dangers.

Well done for taking some of this well intended criticism on the chin.

Thats what we are here for, assitance and advice.

cheers
                              Geoff
                              GONE - 2010 VRX DiD Silver
                              NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X