• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

4wd super centre rooftop tents

Contemplated going to a hybrid trailer but after much though I just couldn't see myself sleeping in a fiberglass room. So I have decided to get rid of the fold out soft floor camper tent, build a new base on the camper and put a roof top tent on it. Reason being that I do not need a queen size bed and 12 foot annex! Bloody hard work putting up in the hot weather and totally unnecessary. For around $600 I can get a 4wd supercentre tent landed in Cairns. Has anyone had any long term experience with these rooftop tent? I do not require the annex as the tent will only be 1200mm off the ground.

Cheers
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money
  • Hatto
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Mandurah WA

A mate of mine has one but has only used it a couple of times. He says it's brilliant. And for $600 Or so you can't go wrong. Easy for him to set up on his own in bugger all time.
    I have no idea about canvas etc, but it all looks well made and didn't leak. After seeing his, I wouldn't spend bigger $ on another brand (If I was in the market for one).
    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• ticky
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
      A mate of mine has one but has only used it a couple of times. He says it's brilliant. And for $600 Or so you can't go wrong. Easy for him to set up on his own in bugger all time.
      I have no idea about canvas etc, but it all looks well made and didn't leak. After seeing his, I wouldn't spend bigger $ on another brand (If I was in the market for one).
      I’m only guessing but I would say the canvas, at least is probably made in China, which is pretty much the textile capital of the world.

I mane a camper trailer once with a cheap tent top on it. It was too heavy for me as my back is past it’s use by date but there was nothing wrong with the tent topper at all. It was well made and the materials all seemed strong ant of good quality.

Steve
      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Amok
        • Dec 2016
        • Sydney

A fellow 4x4er I know has one of the big daddy swags, been heavily rained upon with no leaks. He’s pretty happy with it so hopefully the roof top tents are good too.
        MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by ticky View Post
          I’m only guessing but I would say the canvas, at least is probably made in China, which is pretty much the textile capital of the world.

I mane a camper trailer once with a cheap tent top on it. It was too heavy for me as my back is past it’s use by date but there was nothing wrong with the tent topper at all. It was well made and the materials all seemed strong ant of good quality.

Steve

Thats what I,m thinking Ticky. My back has been known to play up and erecting the bloody great annex and tent in hot weather frustrates me, especially when I dont need the miles of canvas.
          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• BeanCounter
            • Mar 2012
            • Tasmania

We have one from super centre. Had it now for 4+ years (bought when stopped selling as too branded and went to adventure kings). Was initially dubious but decided to give it a go. Absolutely love it. In terms of quality it is really good. Just after buying it I compared it to a darche, identical. Stitching, waterproof on the stitches, clips, zips everything. Even the matress protectors are same shade of green and velcroed down at the same points. Only difference at the time darche had just started selling theirs with a telescopic ladder. Nowadays darche sell a version with a moon roof.

Only tip, mount it to come off the side. With the large rear door of the Pajero need to lift the ladder every time you open the rear door fully.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by BeanCounter View Post
              We have one from super centre. Had it now for 4+ years (bought when stopped selling as too branded and went to adventure kings). Was initially dubious but decided to give it a go. Absolutely love it. In terms of quality it is really good. Just after buying it I compared it to a darche, identical. Stitching, waterproof on the stitches, clips, zips everything. Even the matress protectors are same shade of green and velcroed down at the same points. Only difference at the time darche had just started selling theirs with a telescopic ladder. Nowadays darche sell a version with a moon roof.

Only tip, mount it to come off the side. With the large rear door of the Pajero need to lift the ladder every time you open the rear door fully.
              Thanks for the info. Mine will be going on the camper trailer lid.
              cheers
              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• PajeroPaul
                • Sep 2016
                • Melbourne

Hi Dicko,

Could you post a photo of your RTT on top of your camper trailer. I toying with the same idea - my 12' tent is too big and sun exposure has aged it and cover has a broken zip.

Considering a Kings RTT or putting 2 ute toolboxes on top containing quick pitch tents and my Coleman Event Shelter.

Cheers

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by PajeroPaul View Post
                  Hi Dicko,

Could you post a photo of your RTT on top of your camper trailer. I toying with the same idea - my 12' tent is too big and sun exposure has aged it and cover has a broken zip.

Considering a Kings RTT or putting 2 ute toolboxes on top containing quick pitch tents and my Coleman Event Shelter.

Cheers

Here is one from a few weeks ago The night I camped at this spot I had 55mm of rain in 2 hours. It was so bloody loud!! Good thing was that I did not get a drop of water in the tent. I was very happy as I expected to be having wet sheets and canvas. Its nice and quick to set up and the 4.5 x 3 meter coleman gazeebo is better than a canvas/tarp shade as well. Setup time for everything is about 30-45 minutes. I take my time and if only wanted a quick overnight stop I reckon 15 mins to set up tent and have the kettle on/sitting back with a beer.. The mattress is barely ok and I have a good quality self inflating mattress with a fitted sheet that I sleep on over the supplied mattress...like a bit of sleeping comfort. I couldnt cope with climbing the ladder to a car roof....leave that to the youngens.....one slip and easy to break a leg.
                  Attached Files
                  Dicko. FNQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X