X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DID Dash
    • Aug 2016
    • Australia

Plenty of manufacturers have a lower GVM than the combined frt/rear axle capacity. I reckon it is their way of providing some safety margin. Don’t suppose any of us would appreciate a failure caused by running close/at vehicle limit. Quoted towing capacity of the majority SUV and utes these days are unrealistic, not to mention unsafe in anything other than perfect conditions.
    17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• denisp
      • Dec 2018
      • Mt Eliza

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Hi Denis,

I thought the Pajero Sport had a 1260kg front axle limit, is this a typo in your post or has something changed on the PS front axle?

OJ.

O.J.

I originally thought it was 1260kg after reading some information on line; it might have been in this forum.

However, checked the information on MM web site and found the 1360kg value for the front axle.

Also checked my owner's manual, page 11-5 quotes max axle masses.
      Front 1360kg : Rear 1600kg.

I haven't checked the older Challenger model but that might have the 1260kg front axle maximum.

Denis

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Denis,

The online Mitsubishi Maintenace Manual that covers MY16 and MY17 states 1260kg as the front axle load.

1360kg is the same as the Gen 4 Pajero front axle which has a much bigger and heavier construction and suspension.

I wonder if there is a typo error and which figure is correct?

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

I had a look at the specs on the MMAL website and they are listing 1360kg front axle load and 1600kg rear axle load and still a GVM of 2710kg, this is what makes my think that there is an error in MMAL's figures. If I get the chance I will crawl under a PS in the showroom and see if I can see if there has been a mechanical upgrade to the front axle and suspension.

Alternatively MMAL may have increased the front axle load because of consumer feedback from those wanting to fit a steel winch bar, winch and aux battery, if you fit all of these and put 2x 75kg people in the front seat and 2x 60kg in the 2nd row seats then you will exceed 1260kg, This is even though the engine and transmission are aboutv40kg lighter than the Challengers 4D56 engine and 5 speed Jatco Automatic trans.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Hi Denis,

The online Mitsubishi Maintenace Manual that covers MY16 and MY17 states 1260kg as the front axle load.

1360kg is the same as the Gen 4 Pajero front axle which has a much bigger and heavier construction and suspension.

I wonder if there is a typo error and which figure is correct?

OJ.
            I guess we can only go with the manufacturer's published specifications.

Pajero: 1330 kg.

Pajero Sport: 1360 kg.

So yes, the lighter Pajero Sport has a higher front axle rating than the heavier Pajero. Why?

Chassis vs monocoque? Is a bracket welded to the chassis really that much stronger than a mounting point incorporated into the monocoque?

OJ, are you aware of any other differences in the front suspension that might account for the difference?

Edit: OJ beat me to it - he's on to it!
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

When I last crawled under a PS about a year ago the front suspension was identical to the Challenger and Triton except for the orientation of the top mount studs.

I will contact my MMAL contact and ask the question.

A 1360kg front axle load would not assist in a useful GVM upgrade as the rear axle is still at 1600kg, so IF the front axle max load is upgraded then this will only assist the owners who wish to fit the steel winch bar, winch and Aux battery up front.

OJ.

Just looked at the latest Triton Specifications on the MMAL website and Max front axle load 1260kg. Since both the Triton and the Pajero Sport are built on the same front chassis and axle platform, I strongly suspect that 1260kg is the number and the 1360kg is a printing error that has been carried over across multiple locations.

Comment

• pharb
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Tyers,Vic

Also of note is the Pajero Gen 4 figures have different front axle ratings for deisel and petrol which has always lead me to believe the ratings are influenced by spring ratings (heavier springs in deisels) and also higher GVMs in deisels, again I have always assumed due to heavier tare tare leading to heavier springs front and rear.
                PCOV Member 1107.
                Daily driver NX GLX
                Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Ozkiwi
                  • Jun 2018
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by Flying View Post
                  No one makes a GVM upgrade kit and its highly unlikely that they ever will... the axle loads are only just higher than the total GVM , so you would exceed them. WDH or put the spare in the van?

Check out Ultimate Suspension in Ingleburn (Sydney) NSW as they do offer a GVM Upgrade for a Pajero Sport of 150kgs. Talk to Ken O'Keef for more details.

They fit Lovells Coils and their own brand of shocks and the Engineer is on site to sign off on it. Cost about $3800.00 from memory.

If you have any suspension modifications you will told they have to replace it all with their system.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X