• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris4x4
    • May 2012
    • Geelong

Dpf

Hi gents was wondering does PS have a DPF?
    Toyota seem to be facing some type of class action due to issues with their unit, many cranky people over there it seems.
    Or does it have some type of Ad Blue set up whatever that is.
    Cannot buy one with those tail lights but if they fix it might look at one, they look great value just like my Chally
    2022 Paj Sport, Grey, nicely hidden factory towbar, thanks MM,
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Chris4x4 View Post
    Hi gents was wondering does PS have a DPF?
    Toyota seem to be facing some type of class action due to issues with their unit, many cranky people over there it seems.
    Or does it have some type of Ad Blue set up whatever that is.
    Cannot buy one with those tail lights but if they fix it might look at one, they look great value just like my Chally
    Pajero Sport does have a DPF but from my research it does not have 5th injector (which apparently is the cause of Toyotas issues), instead of the 5th injector the Engine ECU over fuels the engine so it creates a controlled DPF burn. I have not read of any issues with the Mitsubihi system that has been used for 4 years over In both the Triton and Pajero Sport.

No Adblue, thankfully.

It will be interesting to see what the MY20 model looks like. I have heard both the front and rear are getting a facelift as well as the interior.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jas2909
      • Feb 2016
      • Penrith NSW

No issues thus far 110000 km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• DID Dash
        • Aug 2016
        • Australia

Anyone with a Pajero Sport even been aware of the DPF doing a regeneration? Had mine about a year and don’t think I am even aware of it ever doing anything. What would I experience if it was doing a regeneration?
        17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• Chris4x4
          • May 2012
          • Geelong

Thanks for feedback on this, excellent news, love the Chally but it’s not the nicest ride, hopefully PS is nicer for the longer runs, lap of oz etc.
          Tried a 18 Prado as it’s said they have a nice ride and they do, and the steering is much nicer/lighter, it feels quite refined, and it’s well finished, but yeh 65 grand plus ouch!

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Thanks for feedback on this, excellent news, love the Chally but it’s not the nicest ride, hopefully PS is nicer for the longer runs, lap of oz etc.
            Tried a 18 Prado as it’s said they have a nice ride and they do, and the steering is much nicer/lighter, it feels quite refined, and it’s well finished, but yeh 65 grand plus ouch!
            Hi Chris,

What is you do not like about the Challengers ride?
            Suspension is the same as the Pajero Sport.
            Engine is different.
            Gearbox is different.
            Seats are different.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Chris4x4
              • May 2012
              • Geelong

Hi OJ. My Chally is completely stock. The small bumps and corrugations can be a bit harsh, you just feel it through the seat and the steering wheel, mainly the front. Must admit the factory Bridgestone Duellers were a little better/quieter and softened the ride and absorbed things a little better than the BFG’s (@32psi)

The steering requires a fair bit of turning to get movement and is quite heavy. The bonnet and firewall could have done with a layer of sound insulation as we know the 2.5 can rattle a fair bit, but is quiet when cruising though.

My Chally runs very well but these things do get tiresome.
              Was hoping PS would improve on these areas.
              Prado is better in all these areas and resale is good, initial extra outlay $ is significant.

Appreciate any thoughts

Comment

• craigw
                • Feb 2011
                • sydney

I upgraded from challenger to PS sport in Feb Dont know what they have done but they are chalk and cheese .Chalenger much noisier and more vibration .think they must have isolated the body on the chassis somehow .seats much more comfortable and dont rock like the challenger.havent taken it on a gig trip just lightning ridge from Sydney bit so far i Love it .
                Looked at a second hand prado and i cant see where the extra $$ are .
                2011 Ls Manual , Cooper ST 265/70/17 , Tough Dog Suspension, Safari Snorkel
                2018 Pajero Sport GLS 5 Pirelli scorpion ATR plus 265/65 18

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Hi OJ. My Chally is completely stock. The small bumps and corrugations can be a bit harsh, you just feel it through the seat and the steering wheel, mainly the front. Must admit the factory Bridgestone Duellers were a little better/quieter and softened the ride and absorbed things a little better than the BFG’s (@32psi)

The steering requires a fair bit of turning to get movement and is quite heavy. The bonnet and firewall could have done with a layer of sound insulation as we know the 2.5 can rattle a fair bit, but is quiet when cruising though.

My Chally runs very well but these things do get tiresome.
                  Was hoping PS would improve on these areas.
                  Prado is better in all these areas and resale is good, initial extra outlay $ is significant.

Appreciate any thoughts
                  Hi Chris,

I was of the opinion that the factory suspension Challenger was both under sprung and under dampened both front and rear but having had 2 aftermarket suspensions in the front and 5 different rear coils and 3 different rear shocker I changed my mind. My current view is the front is over sprung but since I have not driven on factory struts with aftermarket coils I can not comment on the front struts. Rear coils are definitely way too light and the factory shockers struggle to control these coils when there is a lot of suspension articulation or load on the rear suspension.

In the front I ended up with a taller and softer coils combined with soft on compression and firm on rebound struts. On the rear I ended up with custom extra heavy duty progressive rate coils, with soft on compression and firm on rebound shockers. The setup may not suit everyone as it is designed to be able to traverse very rough roads, at GVM+ 150kg loads whilst still being very comfortable. For those that like sports suspension, they would considered it too sfpoft and too much body roll but for those they like a soft compliant suspension they would say it is a little firm when empty and good when fully loaded.

It really gets down to personal preferences and what compromises you are willing to make.

Yes, the steering is barge like and heavy compared to many other 4wds. Interestingly when I went down tyre widths from 265mm to 245mm the steering lightened up a little. Recently I have gone down to 235 mm in width and up 38mm in height and the steering has lightened up further. Without doing back to back tests using new tyre's of the same tread pattern then I cannot say if the decrease in steering load is a result of decreased tyre widths or just new tyre's or both???

Yes, there could be more sound proofing, particularly is you are running aggressive AT/MT tyre's. I still think it is better than the Gen 3 & Gen 4 Pajero's whose monocoque construction means that there is more road noise transferred into the cabin area.

OJ.

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
                    • Mar 2018
                    • Western Australia

Getting back on track, yes, the PS does have a Diesel Particle Filter on the exhaust to catch the soot in the exhaust gases.
                    The ecu is programmed to do a burn off during consistent running.
                    As OJ says, this involves over fueling the motor so that unburnt diesel is present in the exhaust gas which is then burnt in the DPF to burn out the collected soot particles.

There is a note in the owners manual that suggests that you should check the oil level after any long run that could have triggered a DPF burn off as the extra fuel injected could also result in oil dilution with diesel and require the oil to be replaced. See page 10.5 in the owners manual.

It would be nice if there was some indication that a DPF burn was in progress. The best we get is a check light that comes on indicating a long run is required to burn off the DPF. See page 6.19 and 6.20 in the manual.

Comment

• ridges
                      • Aug 2017
                      • AU

With a ScanGauge you can monitor one of the exhaust gas temp sensors and see when it's doing a burnoff. I run one in the work landcruiser (late model with the DPF issues that this threads talking about) and had a chance to have a play around with it in the PS. Managed to find a EGT sensor code for the PS and from memory had it reading in the high 500 deg celsius when it was doing a burn from my last trip down south. When I get a chance I'll reply with the codes for the ScanGauge if anyone is interested.

The Landcruiser does a burn off every ~200km and the exhaust temp reaches 600 degrees celsius according to the gauge. It is meant to only do a burnoff if you're travelling at 80kmh+ for 20min BUT i've personally had it initiate a burn while 4wding at 30kmh which is a real issue if you're travelling through shrub. Something I'm yet to discuss with Toyota.

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
                        • Mar 2018
                        • Western Australia

How long does the typical burn go on for?
                        Any idea how the system decides that you are going to continue driving at 80km/hr so the burn can be completed?
                        Or if you reach your destination just after the burn has started, does it continue the burn when you re-start the vehicle say the next day?

Comment

• Chris4x4
                          • May 2012
                          • Geelong

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                          Hi Chris,

I was of the opinion that the factory suspension Challenger was both under sprung and under dampened both front and rear but having had 2 aftermarket suspensions in the front and 5 different rear coils and 3 different rear shocker I changed my mind. My current view is the front is over sprung but since I have not driven on factory struts with aftermarket coils I can not comment on the front struts. Rear coils are definitely way too light and the factory shockers struggle to control these coils when there is a lot of suspension articulation or load on the rear suspension.

In the front I ended up with a taller and softer coils combined with soft on compression and firm on rebound struts. On the rear I ended up with custom extra heavy duty progressive rate coils, with soft on compression and firm on rebound shockers. The setup may not suit everyone as it is designed to be able to traverse very rough roads, at GVM+ 150kg loads whilst still being very comfortable. For those that like sports suspension, they would considered it too sfpoft and too much body roll but for those they like a soft compliant suspension they would say it is a little firm when empty and good when fully loaded.

It really gets down to personal preferences and what compromises you are willing to make.

Yes, the steering is barge like and heavy compared to many other 4wds. Interestingly when I went down tyre widths from 265mm to 245mm the steering lightened up a little. Recently I have gone down to 235 mm in width and up 38mm in height and the steering has lightened up further. Without doing back to back tests using new tyre's of the same tread pattern then I cannot say if the decrease in steering load is a result of decreased tyre widths or just new tyre's or both???

Yes, there could be more sound proofing, particularly is you are running aggressive AT/MT tyre's. I still think it is better than the Gen 3 & Gen 4 Pajero's whose monocoque construction means that there is more road noise transferred into the cabin area.

OJ.
                          Thanks OJ, it seems possible they’ve improved something as CraigW reports and reviews are generally very positive for the PS so will test drive one as soon as the tail lights are fixed. At least DPF is a non issue.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
                            How long does the typical burn go on for?
                            Any idea how the system decides that you are going to continue driving at 80km/hr so the burn can be completed?
                            Or if you reach your destination just after the burn has started, does it continue the burn when you re-start the vehicle say the next day?
                            From the Service Manual;

CONTROL OVER ANTICIPATING AMOUNT OF ACCUMULATED PM

Calculating the input signal sent from each sensor, the engine-ECU anticipates the amount of PM accumulated in the DPF. The anticipation method is as follows:
                            Anticipation by odometer
                            Calculating travel distance through vehicle speed signal, engine-ECU anticipates that PM accumulates more than criteria when specified travel distance is accumulated from previous DPF regeneration.
                            Anticipation by difference in pressure
                            Detecting difference in pressure before and after DPF through exhaust differential pressure sensor, engine-ECU anticipates amount of accumulated PM.
                            Anticipation by quantity survey
                            Engine-ECU anticipates amount of exhaust PM based on operation conditions, which multiplying allows engine-ECU to anticipate amount of accumulated PM.

OJ.

Comment

• fatboyw
                              • Nov 2018
                              • Melbourne

Originally posted by ridges View Post
                              ...When I get a chance I'll reply with the codes for the ScanGauge if anyone is interested...
                              The Scanguage codes specific for Pajero Sport are here:
                              Mitsubishi X-Gauges - Support X-Gauge Commands Mitsubishi X-Gauges

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X