• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Like most others responses, 2H, unless wet or on dirt. Always put in 4H in these conditions.
    I prefer the feel of 2H. I also drive within the limits to avoid the big power loss of ASC killing power of hard accl while turning. If I know I’ll need to gun it off the mark, I put in 4H first.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Robin
      • Nov 2010
      • monbulk. vic

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      No. Your NG doesn't have Super Select, so no centre diff that allows the safe use of 4H on bitumen. Your 4H is the equivalent of Super Select 4HLc, and should only be used on loose surfaces - wet bitumen doesn't count as a loose surface.
      Thank you very much, NJ SWB.
      Robin.
      Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
      To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Comment

• dreamerman
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2009
        • Sydney

2H smoother than 4H, just saying. But based on what I have read in this forum I have been driving in 4H since new.
        03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
          2H smoother than 4H, just saying. But based on what I have read in this forum I have been driving in 4H since new.

Comment

• Nab
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Perth

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
            2H smoother than 4H, just saying.

That seems to be a NX specific issue. My old NP and a mates NW work car have no noticeable difference driving between 2H and 4H.
            SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
            NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Nab View Post
              That seems to be a NX specific issue. My old NP and a mates NW work car have no noticeable difference driving between 2H and 4H.
              I agree - I only know which mode I'm in by looking at the lights on the dash.

This seems to be an emerging issue, that 4H in later NX models introduces a vibration that isn't present in earlier models. Unfortunately, Mitsubishi Motors Australia's excuse for customer service has no idea how to deal with this, so they fob it off as "old design", hoping that the customer will simply go away and stop bothering them.

We have one or two members working to resolve this - hopefully they'll figure something out that other members can take back to MMA for a fix.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dreamerman
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2009
                • Sydney

We have one or two members working to resolve this - hopefully they'll figure something out that other members can take back to MMA for a fix.
                My first 1500kms checkup is around the corner and I will bring this up at every service.
                03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Pauno
                  • Dec 2012
                  • Newcastle

I like other NW owners have reported there seems a little more vibration in 4H with this model too.
                  I think that because it mostly comes through the accelerator pedal it seems worse than it really is.
                  Last edited by Pauno; 02-04-19, 06:06 PM.
                  NW Exceed

Comment

• carnut1100
                    • Jun 2019
                    • brisbane

I am picking up my NT tomorrow morning...however I'm planning on running it in 4H most of the time.
                    Having owned 3 Land Rover Discoverys I am quite fond of the stability and traction given by AWD.

Comment

• Purdy
                      • Oct 2015
                      • Mullumbimby

I have owned an NT Pajero and now a Pajero Sport. I always leave it in 4H because the extra safety associated with it negates the extra fuel usage (if any, I cant actually tell as I get the same fuel figures in either mode).
                      I live in the country and when leaving a gravel driveway once, on the crest of a blind hill, the back wheels spun (I had it in 2H) and the traction control cut the engine power (as its designed to do) and I was stuck with no engine power to move quickly as a car suddenly appeared. Since then I will never drive it in 2H again for the sake of my family safety. The vehicle is designed to be driven in 4H continuously (just like a Toyota Prado), and for the life of me (and my family's safety) I cant ever see the need to ever drive in 2H. By the time you realise you need extra traction its already too late.
                      You wouldn't remove the airbags out of a car because it adds to the vehicle weight!

Thats my 2 cents worth. I hope nobody ever gets in the same bother as I did.
                      2016 Pajero Sport Exceed. Snorkel & under-body protection plates

Comment

• alanymarce
                        • Apr 2015
                        • Colombia

We drive 2x4 on asphalt, 4x4 on unsurfaced roads (meaning not asphalt). There is a difference in fuel consumption however this is, I think, mostly a consequence of the added rolling resistance on unsurfaced roads.

If we had any snow or ice we'd use 4x4, but it doesn't snow here...

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Norway

A little late here, but after watching the infamous Pajero-hater St Pierre White and his explanation of testing his LC in 2x4 with locked hubs vs open and came to conclusion there was no difference in consumption he went on to question what the point of the Super Select was and his conclusion that Super Select is stupid.
                          I've measured myself and it (3,2l DID) uses more in 4H than 2H. Not much but a little. Mixed driving (more city) on dry asphalt I get ca 10,5/100 in 2H and in 4H I get closer to 11,5/100.
                          Instead of 4H they should've just called it AWD so that it's easier for people to understand.

Following ASPW's logic we have to question why they even make 2-wheel drive cars at all.

This'll get off topic in a hurry.
                          Like I said in the beginning, ASPW is a self proclaimed Pajero-hater. We've see the episode where he gets annoyed at being the first one in the group to get bogged and him cursing the Pajero and how stupid it is. Is it that he's used to old farm equipment (LC, G-Wagen and LR) and it was just him or someone else in the car not wearing their belt that led to the car beeping at him? I've always wondered about that. He's since compared different cars in an episode and it sounded like he questioned why he included the Pajero in the test since he already knew how bad it was. And now in his holiday beach episode he compares it to an Apple watch. Utterly useless.

If Mitsubishi is so bad at 4WD, then why did Nissan buy them to aquire the 4WD tech? How come they've won so many WRC rallies and Dakar's?

Even if ASPW says to leave it in 4H I have to ask why he didn't voice his opinion in the engineering dept meeting when the Super Select was designed and developed, surely he was present if he's such a resource.

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
                            Like I said in the beginning, ASPW is a self proclaimed Pajero-hater. We've see the episode where he gets annoyed at being the first one in the group to get bogged and him cursing the Pajero and how stupid it is. Is it that he's used to old farm equipment (LC, G-Wagen and LR) and it was just him or someone else in the car not wearing their belt that led to the car beeping at him? I've always wondered about that. He's since compared different cars in an episode and it sounded like he questioned why he included the Pajero in the test since he already knew how bad it was. And now in his holiday beach episode he compares it to an Apple watch. Utterly useless.
                            He took a show-room stock Pajero, massively overloaded it, and it struggled in the desert.

If he was really as clever as he would have people believe, he would have known he was heading for a world of pain.

He's embarrassed by the stupidity of the situation he created, and like second-rate workers the world over, is blaming the tool for his mis-use of it.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dhula
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • South of Perth

Andrew St Piere White, John Cadogan.......
                              All one in the same I reckon.
                              Educated gobs on a stick that say stuff for the entertainment value (usually their own entertainment it seams to me) and to make a $$ or three

My personal opinion of course so YMMV
                              Last edited by dhula; 30-12-20, 01:15 PM.
                              2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                              2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Scrambler
                                • Jul 2018
                                • Toowoomba, Qld

He took a show-room stock Pajero, massively overloaded it, and it struggled in the desert.

If he was really as clever as he would have people believe, he would have known he was heading for a world of pain.

He's embarrassed by the stupidity of the situation he created, and like second-rate workers the world over, is blaming the tool for his mis-use of it.
                                If you've seen the (rather old now) video with the Pajero, it was not quite as stark as you might think. There are a number of reasons why a Land Rover driver (as he was back then) would have trouble with an independently sprung 4wd doing sand dune work fully loaded. And if I recall correctly the "big" issue was the pretty rear bumper proving to be a sand dam. A straightfoward fix but quite rightly a criticism of the design for the purpose he was using it.

ASPW has a particular interest in cross-country travel ie unsupported long distance back country work. Think Simpson Desert or the Sahara. Even old books on this subject say there is almost no way to load a 1 tonne load capacity vehicle for this role. You need more like 2 tonne because of the fuel required. With that in mind, a Pajero doesn't even make it near the absolute minimum. He would have known trouble would follow. But so should Mitsubishi.

If you've seen his recent comments on the new LR Defender you will understand his biases better. The new Defender is a weapon for many sorts of off-roading. But remote area long-distance work is not one of them. A simple, high load capacity vehicle is what he wants. There's only 1 old-school live front axle 4wd ute available. So that's what he owns. For his purposes a commercial standard 2-3 tonne 4wd truck would be the best choice. But that would be harder to sell.
                                =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                                =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X