X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MARKx4
    • Dec 2015
    • Penrith

Clearview would be nice if they retracted back as close as the review mirror. The video on their website doesn't mention you lose your fold in mirrors.

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by MARKx4 View Post
      Clearview would be nice if they retracted back as close as the review mirror. The video on their website doesn't mention you lose your fold in mirrors.
      To be fair, ClearView show a "No" against the "Electrically Operated Fold-in and/or Extension" field of each vehicle's specs. But yeah, loss of the fold-in function was a deal breaker for me.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Jondalar
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2011
        • Brisbane

I agree with others the Clearview would be good IF they retracted more when not towing. I park in a city carpark every day and wouldn't want anything sticking out more than the standard mirrors, plus I really do not like the dumbo look.

I've never had the Milenco mirrors fold in, even doing 120km/hr (a long story but when you are towing a caravan and being overtaken by another caravan, please do NOT decide the best course of action is flooring the accelerator) but I do have the small Aero with flat glass. They are supposed to be rated to 155MPH but of course they rely on the Pajero's rather weak fold in mechanism to keep them out.

Cheers,
        Karl
        Pajero gone, driving something European and sexy now

Comment

• MARKx4
          • Dec 2015
          • Penrith

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
          To be fair, ClearView show a "No" against the "Electrically Operated Fold-in and/or Extension" field of each vehicle's specs. But yeah, loss of the fold-in function was a deal breaker for me.
          Thank you, i missed that.

Comment

• couso
            • Nov 2010
            • Alice springs

I just purchased some $70 Repco mirrors which look identical to the single strap ORA mirrors to tow our Jayco Swan..
            They flap about in the wind nicely and are bound to fly freely 300m down a corrugated road...
            I spoke to an nice Gentleman at Bunnings the other day who had Clearviews on his Pajero, He loved them except for the massive blind spot, particularly when approaching roundabouts. For this reason alone I decided against Clearwiews as my wife is tiny and the NS does the school run daily..
            I will stick with the Repco mirrors and stock up on race tape..

Couso

Comment

• Paj People 2009
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2009
              • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi,

Wow, I can't believe anyone could find a blind spot with mirrors that big! Did he mean the actual mirror creating a blind spot? The Clearviews give brilliant vision. Only sold ours on the Paj as we use the Jeep to tow the van now. Got them on the Jeep - they are awesome.

Simply move your head to look around it or out of the front window!

Snorkels block out a tiny bit of the vision too...it's not hard to look around them!

But in over 3 years of use, we never found a black spot with them.

Anyway, each to their own!

Cheers,
              Sally
              SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• Dreamweaver
                • Aug 2015
                • Albany Creek Qld

Aussie Truck mirrors are fine although a bit fiddly to set up. Make sure though that you buy the large brackets which fit the double skin of the Pajero doors.

Comment

• couso
                  • Nov 2010
                  • Alice springs

Hi Sally,

The Gentleman I spoke too was referring to the blind spot created by the drivers side mirror itself. I did not sit in his seat to check it out but when he left I quickly returned to our NS and found that I can see clearly above the original mirror and if that mirror was three times taller it would obscure my vision in that direction from the drivers seat. I was surprised on the run home at how often I look over the top of the drivers wing mirror whilst approaching intersections.
                  I have spent many years driving heavy vehicles and understand the importance of good mirrors but I am concerned that blind spot will be permanent if I fit Clearviews when the camper will only be there occasionally.
                  I did see that Pajero heading north with a huge van in tow yesterday so I cant stalk him to experience them myself but we will certainly take every opportunity to drive a Pajero with Clearviews to check it out ourselves.
                  We did however have fun on the run home checking for light aircraft with our current mirrors...

Couso

Comment

• mynance
                    • Jul 2009
                    • Hervey Bay Qld

[QUOTE=Paj People 2009;489804]Hi,

Wow, I can't believe anyone could find a blind spot with mirrors that big! Did he mean the actual mirror creating a blind spot? The Clearviews give brilliant vision. Only sold ours on the Paj as we use the Jeep to tow the van now. Got them on the Jeep - they are awesome.

Simply move your head to look around it or out of the front window!

Snorkels block out a tiny bit of the vision too...it's not hard to look around them!

We have a blind spot coming ip to an intersection on the right, will take a bit of getting used to but I am conscious of it try to make sure I look around the Clearview mirror.

Myles
                    MY 13 NW DiD VRX, Ultimate Suspensions HD all round with Coil Rite Airbags
                    Seachange 595 Elite Off Road Caravan

Comment

• couso
                      • Nov 2010
                      • Alice springs

I'm mostly concerned with the little kids at our school on our school run. When were grey nomads and a van is there more often then not Clearviews will be compulsory.

Couso

Comment

• cattledog
                        • Apr 2013
                        • Sydney Metro

Milenco Grand Aero 3
                        After trying several different brands that either folded back when passing oncoming trucks, or fell off, or failed to provide adequate rearview, Milenco Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirrors Flat from Snowys Outdoors on special $99 incl. delivery have proved to be very satisfactory
                        Last edited by cattledog; 06-08-19, 02:44 PM. Reason: error
                        2014 GLXR Auto CRD

Comment

• Brownie
                          • Nov 2008
                          • Brisbane

These new mirrors look interesting, potentially as good as clearview but retract back to near the original position https://msa4x4.com.au/msa-4x4s-new-d...for-work-play/ . They are not available yet - web page says available second half of 2019. (No connection to the supplier, just looking for some towing mirrors, and these ticked a few boxes for me).
                          Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
                          Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• Ian H
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2015
                            • Melbourne

Look OK but the test will be on whether they blow in or not. If they use the Pajero's weak system, they won't stay out unless there's an aerodynamic profile to them. I tried a couple of models but settled on the Milenco and they've been great. Haven't blown in once.
                            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Onsan
                              • Aug 2019
                              • Townsville

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
                              These new mirrors look interesting, potentially as good as clearview but retract back to near the original position https://msa4x4.com.au/msa-4x4s-new-d...for-work-play/ . They are not available yet - web page says available second half of 2019. (No connection to the supplier, just looking for some towing mirrors, and these ticked a few boxes for me).

They look like a good option. Likely to still lose elec folding and puddle lights I'm guessing, but they look better than the clearviews.
                              2011 NW Pajero Platinum

Comment

• erad
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2015
                                • Cooma NSW

I still use my Aldi mirrors. To stop them from folding back when a truck passes, I made up two U shaped clips. One fits into one of the bolt recesses on the wheel arch flare cover and the other fits on the bottom edge of the mirror housing. I have a cable which I adjusted the length so that when the door shuts, the cable is taut. When I open the door the cable goes slack and when the door closes, the cable is taut. The mirror doesn't vibrate because it is now well braced and of course trucks cannot shift the mirror.

I have also seen a guy who tied some light rope to the bonnet hinge and somehow to the mirror housing. This would work, but requires more setup than my version, which simply clips on when required.

The only downside is that if someone walks past the mirror and knocks it, there is no give. You lose the mirror alignment. in the worst case, the whole mirror casing gets bent backwards, as if you hit it when reversing past an object. I have done this once and luckily it didn't damage the mirror housing.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X