• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teamjet
    • Jun 2015
    • Sydney

Squealing

Hi all!

First post, I am sure it won't be my last!

I just picked up a 09 NT diesel, 120km.

I have noticed that with the colder mornings, I can head a squealing noise when I accelerate. It only squeals for 2 seconds and when I am taking off. Once the motor is warmer or if the mornings are warmer I can't hear anything?

I have read that some people think it might be the Alternator belt too slack while the heater plugs are active?? Can this wait till the next service (last one was 2000kms ago) or can it do more damage?

Any ideas? What should I check? or just something I need to get to used too?

PS - I am new to diesel. I have come from a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Sounds like a loose or worn fan belt.

You could try tightening it a bit (don't overtighten) to see if it stops. If so, on a car with those kms, I would replace them (there are 2 matched belts + the A/C belt). I haven't done this job, but it looks like a bit of swearing & skinned knuckles would be involved! Or get it done by your mechanic - I wouldn't wait until the service, as it will probably get worse & may let you down at an inconvenient moment. Perhaps ask whoever serviced it only 2,000kms ago - probably not checked?
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• The Commodore
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2009
      • Macarthur Region NSW.

Have you checked that it's not your passenger squealing due to your driving?

Sorry!
      With 120,000Km's it could possibly do with the belt tensions checked. Also I've found that if mine get wet they make a bit of a racket so if you're parking it outside moisture in the air may be the cause until they dry out.
      Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• nifty
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2009

Tighten the belts a little. I think in cold weather, the belts get harder, and the metal pulleys get smaller, so the belts squeal until both warm up. Won't need to tighten much to top it normally.

Comment

• Allan2
          • May 2013
          • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Tighten the belts. If you have to replace them make sure you get a matched pair.
          Welcome to the forum.
          Allan.
          2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• Jeffwatkins
            • Apr 2015
            • Jamisontown NSW

Originally posted by gaiallan View Post
            Tighten the belts. If you have to replace them make sure you get a matched pair.
            Welcome to the forum.
            Allan.
            Matched pair won't be much good mate. There are 3 belts. Mine began squealing. Checked them and saw two had splits on them. Weren't expensive to replace.

Comment

• RUGGA
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2014
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Jeffwatkins View Post
              Matched pair won't be much good mate. There are 3 belts. Mine began squealing. Checked them and saw two had splits on them. Weren't expensive to replace.
              2 belts doing the same job, must be matching…3rd belt is different length for the aircon.

Gidday Teamjet,

Could be the belts, do you know how to throw a ring spanner and some sockets around? I changed the Alternator and belts on my 2002 NM. I believe the NT would be almost identical….. Happy to talk you through it IF your prepared to get dirty ( not dirty talk )

They don't sound to be Too loose…. You can Reach in (ENGINE OFF) and push on the 2 belts (front of motor, left hand side behind the fan) and if they are not tightish ( there should be a good couple of mill play 10mmish ) you can tighten them till you get them replaced BUT If you go to that trouble you might as well replace them yourself (around $30). There a 3 main bolts to the job, 1 being a bit of a bitch (bottom of alternator, 17 mm i think, this must/should be cracked prior to loosening the Locking bolt on the adjuster then adjusting the adjuster/tension bolt 12mm i think) and removal of air intake etc depending on what you want to do….Also Could be the aircon belt or something else but Start with checking the tension on the belts..

Mick
              02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Teamjet
                • Jun 2015
                • Sydney

Thans for all the feedback.

I'll live with it for this week and have a good look this weekend.

I have come from Ausjeepoffroad forum which was a great resource. It's great to see the equivalent medium for Pajeros.

Comment

• RUGGA
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Teamjet View Post
                  Thans for all the feedback.

I have come from Ausjeepoffroad forum which was a great resource. It's great to see the equivalent medium for Pajeros.
                  Perhaps better
                  02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Adelaide steve
                    • Oct 2014
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by RUGGA View Post
                    Perhaps better
                    I had a similar squeal from mine but happened in hot weather. I tracked it doen to be the A/C belt pulley bearing. Changed it along with the A/C belt and 2x fan belts. Not a big job and all in parts were $70 from Bursons auto parts
                    2013 NW VRX White. TJM colour coded bull bar, 9" led spotties dual battery, c-tek dc-dc charger, factory side steps, Kings side awning, roof bars, Spare wheel lift mod,Boo bash plates, rear air bag suspension, GME uhf, Waeco 50l fridge, tows a MDC 2018 Cruize slide forward fold Camper trailer.

past---2007 NS 3.2 Diesel. New DPF, Manifold clean, Factory bull bar,

Comment

• Teamjet
                      • Jun 2015
                      • Sydney

Had new brakes installed on the weekend - got the mechanic to have a look at the belts - he tightened them all (think the air con belt? was the main culprit) - PROBLEM SOLVED

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X