• May 2019
    • Norway

Normal ride height with 2" lift?

Hi, thanks for the membership.

Just installer an OME 2" lift kit.
    Standard in front
    +200kg rating rear.

Now the car is loaded with 150 kg.
    But even if i put additional 100kg (me) on the trailer hitch, its still very high at the rear.
    It was lifted 50mm in the front, and 100mm in the rear, but it was pretty low when i started..

Will this settle after som km, or is the height difference front/rear normal?

Kenneth,
    Norway
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kennayeh; 11-05-19, 04:03 AM.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Gen 4 Pajero in Australia have a standard factory ride height of 503mm front and 533mm rear, this is measured from the centre of the wheel hub to the underside of the wheel arch. Legally in Australa you must retain 2/3's of the factory suspension droop travel so this means a 35mm to 40mm lift to around 540mm front and 570mm rear. If you go higher than this you can cause unwanted activations of the ABS, ASC and TC systems.

Outside of Australia the Gen 4 was sold with a low ride suspension, I do not have the details on how low these were.

Old Man Emu/ARB suspensions are designed to give lifts to Australian spec Gen 4.

To get an accurate lift height and large variation in weight carrying capacity on vehicles with independent suspensions is very difficult.

OJ.
    Last edited by old Jack; 11-05-19, 10:27 PM.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Poite91
      • Jan 2017
      • Adelaide

Hi,

what rear spring do you have fitted. If it is the new 3111 spring you will need around 300kg to get the rear to sit down to just a 50mm lift.

Comment

• jkwpajero
        • Jun 2008
        • Young, NSW

I have Lovells springs fitted. Front: CFR-90HD and Rear: CRR-91HD. After just over 12 months in the vehicle the heights are FL 537mm - FR 532mm - RL 564mm - RR 555mm. I have done one long outback trip towing a forward fold camper, with the airbags set on 30psi when towing and 5psi when not. The rest has been a mixture of country roads with some suburban. The vehicle rides and handles really well. Tyre wear is good, with the alignment within specs.

James
        2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Kennayeh
          • May 2019
          • Norway

Hi

I got OME2914 in the front and OME3111 at the rear.

500mm in front and 575mm at the rear.

At the time i bought it, late 2018, on the OME web it said 200kg i think...

The ride quality is superb, it only looks a little funny without load.

Comment

• Kennayeh
            • May 2019
            • Norway

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Gen 4 Pajero in Australia have a standard factory ride height of 503mm front and 533mm rear, this is measured from the centre of the wheel hub to the underside of the wheel arch. Legally in Australa you must retain 2/3's of the factory suspension droop travel so this means a 35mm to 40mm lift to around 540mm front and 570mm rear. If you go higher than this you can cause unwanted activations of the ABS, ASC and TC systems.

Outside of Australia the Gen 4 was sold with a low ride suspension, I do not have the details on how low these were.

Old Man Emu/ARB suspensions are designed to give lifts to Australian spec Gen 4.

To get an accurate lift height and large variation in weight carrying capacity on vehicles with independent suspensions is very difficult.

OJ.
            Did some testing and weighing the last few weeks.
            I have a problem, that the ASC is lighting up some times. (Pavement, corner, uphill, speed 65-80km/h)

It doesnt happen with a fully loaded car, only when the load is 200-300kg.

Fully loaded:

Front axle 1300kg
            Tot 3060kg (Maximum weight on this car in Norway = 3030...)
            Rear axle 1760kg

Height:
            Front 51cm
            Rear 54cm

"Empty" car (+220-300kg, rooftop tent, tools, drawer system misc.)

Weight:
            Front axle 1280kg
            Tot 2740kg
            Rear Axle 1460kg

Height:
            Front 51cm
            Rear 56cm

Original, approx. +200kg pre Old Man Emu

Front 45cm
            Rear 45cm

I wonder if i would be better off with the "standard" OME lift springs rear and go for spring airbags to support the weight the 5 weeks a year i travel fully loaded? Rest of the year +200-300 kg is standard, but i think the +200kg springs make the car to high in the rear?

Any suggestions?

Kenneth

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Kennayeh View Post
              Did some testing and weighing the last few weeks.
              I have a problem, that the ASC is lighting up some times. (Pavement, corner, uphill, speed 65-80km/h)

It doesnt happen with a fully loaded car, only when the load is 200-300kg.

Fully loaded:

Front axle 1300kg
              Tot 3060kg (Maximum weight on this car in Norway = 3030...)
              Rear axle 1760kg

Height:
              Front 51cm
              Rear 54cm

"Empty" car (+220-300kg, rooftop tent, tools, drawer system misc.)

Weight:
              Front axle 1280kg
              Tot 2740kg
              Rear Axle 1460kg

Height:
              Front 51cm
              Rear 56cm

Original, approx. +200kg pre Old Man Emu

Front 45cm
              Rear 45cm

I wonder if i would be better off with the "standard" OME lift springs rear and go for spring airbags to support the weight the 5 weeks a year i travel fully loaded? Rest of the year +200-300 kg is standard, but i think the +200kg springs make the car to high in the rear?

Any suggestions?

Kenneth
              In my opinion, a significant part of the problem is that you've lifted the rear, but not really lifted the front. When you're fully loaded your rear is 5 - 10 mm higher than factory ride height, and 20mm higher again when at your typical load. Your front is 5 - 10 mm higher than factory, and doesn't really change (which isn't unusual).

A 30 mm lift at the front would bring you "level" when fully loaded, and leave you around "factory rake" at your typical load.

Unfortunately, a 30mm front lift is easy to say quickly, but experience suggests it's difficult to maintain. It seems most front lifts might start off around the sort of height you want, but they quickly droop. To try to get around this, I bought fully adjustable front struts so I can wind them up as the need arises, but there isn't a huge choice of brands that have this option.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Kennayeh
                • May 2019
                • Norway

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                In my opinion, a significant part of the problem is that you've lifted the rear, but not really lifted the front. When you're fully loaded your rear is 5 - 10 mm higher than factory ride height, and 20mm higher again when at your typical load. Your front is 5 - 10 mm higher than factory, and doesn't really change (which isn't unusual).

A 30 mm lift at the front would bring you "level" when fully loaded, and leave you around "factory rake" at your typical load.

Unfortunately, a 30mm front lift is easy to say quickly, but experience suggests it's difficult to maintain. It seems most front lifts might start off around the sort of height you want, but they quickly droop. To try to get around this, I bought fully adjustable front struts so I can wind them up as the need arises, but there isn't a huge choice of brands that have this option.
                I think the "European" version of the Pajero is lower from factory than Australia. (Se post from Old Jack)

Before I lifted I had approx 45cm both front and rear (Center hub-wheel arch), and that is close to a "new" Pajero here in Norway. The rear is usually 1-2cm higher then front, but I had around 200kg load.

After lifting i had 51 in the front. That means I had a 60mm lift?

I have marginal extra weight in the front: 2" hitch, skid plates.

What will happen if I constantly ride with +200kg on the rear axel and standard OME lift springs? Will it damage the springs, og will it just sag? I like the front lift, I think the rear looks to high compared to the tyre diameter.

Norway have very strict rules when it comes to wheel size and lift kits.
                The OME+2" is allowed.
                Original wheel size is 265/60-18 or 265/65-17
                Biggest allowed is 275/60-18, 265/65-18, 265/75-17 or 275/65-17. (All around 32"?)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X