• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zandit75
    • May 2019
    • Penguin, TAS

MY19 Pajero Sport GLS 5 seater

Hey everyone, new member here, and potentially a new owner of a GLS 5 seater.

My wife is looking for a larger vehicle to replace her 2015 Hyundai Tucson so she can carry around all of her yoga gear(yep, I'm married to a yoga instructor!!) and had her heart set on a Prado. Others in the running were the Everest, however thanks to poor interior packaging, the Everest was ruled out.

They are extremely hard to find way down here in Tassie, but we found a 5 seater GX Prado at one of the dealers and was quite impressed with the rear cargo area. It's just a pity they are such a boat to drive and quite bland inside. Not to mention ridiculously expensive.

It was only this last Saturday that we checked out the Pajero Sport for the first time after checking and ruling out the Everest at the same dealership. The only 5 seater they had in stock was an ex demo GLX.
    Straight away we could see the difference in cargo space and the packaging of the rear. Not to mention, the pricing for what you get is most impressive.

First test drive was also very impressive. The only complaints being the seat adjustment was not enough in the base model with the mechanical height adjuster, and a slight shudder in the gearbox when coming to a stop. Also the dreaded door locking I've read so much about on here already.

We're going for another test drive this coming weekend before committing to an order. The wife is also going to trial loading all of her gear in the back to see how everything fits.

At this stage, we've chosen a white one, with tinted windows, carpet mats, boot lip protector and bonnet protector.

If the colours had been available, we would have gone with the dark charcoal or bright blue of the new Tritons.

So, question time.
    What's the verdict from long time owners. Anything to look out for, and little niggles that have popped up over the years?
    Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your responses!
    Last edited by Zandit75; 14-05-19, 09:47 AM.
  • DID Dash
    • Aug 2016
    • Australia

Had my 2017 GLX for 10 months and 12000kms. No regrets with my purchase. It has been comfortable, reliable and capable whether as a weekday commuter, tow vehicle (1500kg), and offroader. I understand the leather/power seat in the GLS provides more adjustment than the cloth GLX seat so this might resolve one of the items you found, and the dealer can fix the door lock issue. I would have gone a GLS 5 seater myself but they were all 7 seat in 17MY. I say go for it. Good luck.
    17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• Zandit75
      • May 2019
      • Penguin, TAS

Originally posted by DID Dash View Post
      Had my 2017 GLX for 10 months and 12000kms. No regrets with my purchase. It has been comfortable, reliable and capable whether as a weekday commuter, tow vehicle (1500kg), and offroader. I understand the leather/power seat in the GLS provides more adjustment than the cloth GLX seat so this might resolve one of the items you found, and the dealer can fix the door lock issue. I would have gone a GLS 5 seater myself but they were all 7 seat in 17MY. I say go for it. Good luck.
      Thanks for the quick response, most appreciated.
      Any issues with rattles in the bodywork etc?
      We previously had a 2008 Lancer VRX, and had the dash out and door trims removed several times looking for rattles.

Comment

• Oldswan1960
        • Oct 2018
        • Albury

Gday Zandit75

I purchased a 2018 PS GLX last September. I have 17000 kms up without any probs so far.
        Mine is white with tinted front windows.

No probs with the door locking, the dealer will sort that with a simple program update.

My last car was a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles but I don't miss the electric front seat adjustment. I do however I miss the heated front seats in the cooler weather. This may be a consideration if you live in Tasmania.

The PS is in my opinion is good value for money that ticks all the essential boxes.

Good luck...

Comment

• Zandit75
          • May 2019
          • Penguin, TAS

Originally posted by Oldswan1960 View Post
          Gday Zandit75

I purchased a 2018 PS GLX last September. I have 17000 kms up without any probs so far.
          Mine is white with tinted front windows.

No probs with the door locking, the dealer will sort that with a simple program update.

My last car was a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles but I don't miss the electric front seat adjustment. I do however I miss the heated front seats in the cooler weather. This may be a consideration if you live in Tasmania.

The PS is in my opinion is good value for money that ticks all the essential boxes.

Good luck...
          Thanks Oldswan, good to hear.
          The Exceed is just a little too far out of our price limit, even thought the added safety tech and comfort wouldn't go astray.
          I haven't experienced Active Cruise Control yet, or the other safety tech like Forward Collision Mitigation, and the wife has never used standard Cruise Control, so that will be an interesting experience when it comes on.

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
            • Mar 2018
            • Western Australia

Hi Zandit75

I have had a 2017 5 seat GLX for 15 months now with 16,000 Km traveled.
            Door lock problem is easy for the dealer to program your way pre delivery.
            I went for the GLX as I had no need for 7 seats and I thought the cloth seats were much more comfortable than the leather, and this has been proved to be true. I thought the extra you pay for the GLS with leather,7 seats, dif lock and a few extra speakers in the stereo was not worth it.

No issues with the vehicle. Has been faultless from the day I first turned the key.
            Surprised you have problems with the seat adjustment. I am 6ft 4in tall and my wife is 5ft 7in and we both find a comfortable seat position. Remember the steering wheel is also adjustable.

Make sure you get a good price. Car dealers are hurting with declining sales, so it is a buyers market. Make sure they think you will walk down the road to another brand. Make a low offer, give them your phone number and leave.
            I got a December 2017 GLX for $38,000 in February 2018. I have seen new late 2018 models still for sale now in 2019, so you should be able to negotiate a good price.
            Also ignore the offers of accessories, insurance, window tint and paint protection.
            You either don't need it or you can get it cheaper elsewhere than at a dealer.

Comment

• marlin1856
              • Apr 2013
              • Melbourne

I have a 2016 Exceed and have done almost 70,000. There are quite a few niggling issues that just can't be ignored but the positives far outweigh the negatives, great car but would I buy it again? answer is yes would even choose it over my sons 2018 Ranger with the lot.
              Its been to Uluru and back 7000 k's without missing a beat and was in fact an absolute joy to drive, we were so glad we had it for that trip.
              2016 Pajero Sport Exceed Titanium

Comment

• Zandit75
                • May 2019
                • Penguin, TAS

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
                Hi Zandit75

I have had a 2017 5 seat GLX for 15 months now with 16,000 Km traveled.
                Door lock problem is easy for the dealer to program your way pre delivery.
                I went for the GLX as I had no need for 7 seats and I thought the cloth seats were much more comfortable than the leather, and this has been proved to be true. I thought the extra you pay for the GLS with leather,7 seats, dif lock and a few extra speakers in the stereo was not worth it.

No issues with the vehicle. Has been faultless from the day I first turned the key.
                Surprised you have problems with the seat adjustment. I am 6ft 4in tall and my wife is 5ft 7in and we both find a comfortable seat position. Remember the steering wheel is also adjustable.

Make sure you get a good price. Car dealers are hurting with declining sales, so it is a buyers market. Make sure they think you will walk down the road to another brand. Make a low offer, give them your phone number and leave.
                I got a December 2017 GLX for $38,000 in February 2018. I have seen new late 2018 models still for sale now in 2019, so you should be able to negotiate a good price.
                Also ignore the offers of accessories, insurance, window tint and paint protection.
                You either don't need it or you can get it cheaper elsewhere than at a dealer.
                Excellent advice John, thanks for chipping in.
                In regards to the seat height, I'm only 5'6", and my wife is much shorter than me, probably close to 5'2". Yes, we played around extensively with the seat and steering wheel and while I was pretty comfortable, the wife would like to have more room for improvement.

I'm guessing the GLS 5 seater was not always available?

As for price, I should have mentioned that I have a background in carsales, and the dealership we are talking with were part of the group I used to worked with. The dealer principle is a good friend, and the pricing we have been offered is very enticing. Mitsubishi also have special offers on the PS at the moment with cash back. I've only been given a changeover figure that includes all of the accessories I mentioned in the first post, which is all that matters in the long run.

Additionally, we got caught out with the Tucson when we bought it, which was at a special price, but in all of my research, I missed the fact that the earlier dated models didn't share the same safety rating as the later dated models. Hence why we are looking a '19 plated model.

Thanks again for your advice.

Comment

• Zandit75
                  • May 2019
                  • Penguin, TAS

Originally posted by marlin1856 View Post
                  I have a 2016 Exceed and have done almost 70,000. There are quite a few niggling issues that just can't be ignored but the positives far outweigh the negatives, great car but would I buy it again? answer is yes would even choose it over my sons 2018 Ranger with the lot.
                  Its been to Uluru and back 7000 k's without missing a beat and was in fact an absolute joy to drive, we were so glad we had it for that trip.
                  Hi Marlin, thanks for your comment.
                  Do you mind expanding on some of the niggling issues you have experienced?
                  Can't have enough details!!
                  Thanks in advance.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X