• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

More chance of losing the valve core I suppose if you take it out.
    Also a valve body is not really designed for the core to be screwed in and out too many times I suppose.
    Plus the more you mess with it the more likely it is to leak.

They are my thoughts..
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Merts
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2011
      • Bendigo Vic

Most times I use one of the ARB type tyre deflators (mine's from Supacentre) which removes the valve. Many others in our 4WD club use them too. I've never seen or even heard of someone losing a valve (it's not really possible using one of these deflators) or cross threading, or valves starting to leak because they've been removed and replaced.

Sometimes I just use the pin on the back of my digital tyre gauge to depress the valve. Whilst the air doesn't escape as quickly, you save time not having to screw the deflator on, screw the valve out, then back in, then remove the deflator. One of these days I should time the two processes to get an accurate idea of which is quicker and by how much. I have a trip planned in a couple of weeks. I reckon I will do it then.
      Last edited by Merts; 07-01-19, 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
      Merts
      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Kingbrown
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2012
        • Port Augusta - SA

On a related topic, I remember as a young bloke being castigated by my tyre dealer at the time for having el-cheapo plastic valve caps.

Unlile the metal valve caps, plastic valve caps do not have an integral seal as a backup in case the valve leaks.

Worse still is to have no valve caps at all, especially in typical 4WD environments where mud and dust can clog the valve &/or compromise the sealing of the valve seat.

Finally, take care with the gear that you are using with your valves. Air chucks, airlines and couplings, deflators, gauges etc should be kept free of dust and dirt and stored appropriately.
        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
          On a related topic, I remember as a young bloke being castigated by my tyre dealer at the time for having el-cheapo plastic valve caps.

Unlile the metal valve caps, plastic valve caps do not have an integral seal as a backup in case the valve leaks.

Worse still is to have no valve caps at all, especially in typical 4WD environments where mud and dust can clog the valve &/or compromise the sealing of the valve seat.

Finally, take care with the gear that you are using with your valves. Air chucks, airlines and couplings, deflators, gauges etc should be kept free of dust and dirt and stored appropriately.

Need to be really careful using metal valve caps unless the cap is brass as aluminum or steel caps can easily and quickly corrode on tight an you do not have to do a lot of beach driving for this to happen !

Corrosion is galvanic and caused by dissimilar metals of the valve stem and the cap combined with moisture.

There are 2 sorts of plastic caps, the soft type that do not have and internal seal and these should not be used. The hard plastic valve stem caps that have an internal seal are the best and these are what comes standard with new valve stems which should always be changed when fitting new tyres.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kingbrown
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Port Augusta - SA

Good points there OJ.

I've removed a bit of the silvery coating on one of a handful of identical metal caps and the substrate has a brassy colour. There's nil attraction to a rare earth magnet so they're definitely non-ferrous. Weight of each item suggests that they're not aluminium.

Inside my unused hard plastic caps there is a flat landing/seat that is part of the moulding and it looks to be fairly uneven. These caps would need to be twisted on tightly to achieve a good seal.
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
              More chance of losing the valve core I suppose if you take it out.
              Also a valve body is not really designed for the core to be screwed in and out too many times I suppose.
              Plus the more you mess with it the more likely it is to leak.

They are my thoughts..
              Thanks Keith, this is exactly my point . Lots of supposition and not a single real world example.

The valve removal deflator keeps the valve captive, there is zero chance of losing it.
              How many times is a valve stem designed to have a core removed/inserted?

Although I do agree, the more you play with something you run the risk of an unintended outcome. Real world practice in regards the deflator however provides evidence to the contrary.

People have a fear of sharks, spiders, why some even have a fear of people and public places. Like valve core deflators, the fear is real in the affected persons mind, but it is not so in the real world for most of us.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Merts
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2011
                • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                Lots of supposition and not a single real world example.
                I gave a real world example of how those deflators don't lose valves or damage threads etc Shane.

I reckon I've used mine at least 20 times on the current set of tyres (so over 80 individual uses) and I've not had a single issue. On most trips there are several other people using them too, so my experience is several hundred deflations with zero negative outcomes.

PS. Just spoke to a mate and he has had one experience where the valve didn't screw back in properly (either cross threaded or something foreign in the thread) and it wouldn't seal 100%. He ultimately had to replace the whole valve stem assembly.
                So, based on that, it is rare for things to go wrong but it can happen.
                Last edited by Merts; 07-01-19, 02:20 PM. Reason: extra info
                Merts
                Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

After my frustration with inconsistent results from the Stauns I bought an ARB deflator for my NT. When dropping pressure a long way, it's not too bad, but the process makes smaller adjustments a moot point:
                  • Screw on the deflator
                  • Unscrew the valve core
                  • Deflate / check etc.
                  • Screw in the valve core
                  • Unscrew the deflator.

You can release a lot of air the old-fashioned way while all that screwing and unscrewing is going on.

I did once forget to screw the valve core back in, which was easily noticed when it flew past on removal of the deflator. I was fortunate enough to be able to find it again, and it still holds pressure OK. I also witnessed somebody else make the same mistake, so I'm pleased to know I'm not the only one who has done it. But I do have spare cores, so I'm not too concerned about the risk of it happening again.

Is the valve designed to be screwed in and out so many times? Who knows? Metal machined thread on metal machined thread shouldn't wear out too quickly, particularly given the low level of load on the thread.

Cross-threaded? How? Look at the design of the core, the location of the thread and the long length of body that will align the core inside the valve stem. Anybody clumsy enough to cross-thread that shouldn't be allowed unsupervised use of anything resembling a tool.

I believe the biggest risk would be foreign material entering the thread, but how will that happen without the operator first dropping the deflator in sand / dirt / mud? If they're going to allow foreign material to enter the thread while using the deflator they are just as likely to blow foreign material into the valve from the end of their compressor hose.

Are they the ultimate solution for deflating tyres? Not at all. Would I advise people against them? Not at all. I still carry my Stauns, and might follow OJ's lead of setting them to a slightly higher pressure, and using them as an alternative where the situation warrants.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• NJV6
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • New Zealand

I guess the beauty about the stauns is you can put them on and by the time you get to your destination they should nearly be down to pressure.
                    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• GHendo
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                      … Just spoke to a mate and he has had one experience where the valve didn't screw back in properly (either cross threaded or something foreign in the thread) and it wouldn't seal 100%. He ultimately had to replace the whole valve stem assembly.
                      So, based on that, it is rare for things to go wrong but it can happen.
                      As I said in my previous post, this is the only negative aspect I was considering. I think the deflators I have are ARB and I’ve used them a few times without any problems – however, there is always the opportunity to cross-thread the valve. I seem to run into “Murphy” quite a bit and I wouldn’t like that to happen when I was far from home. Will I continue to use them, hell “yes” – I’ll just be doubly careful when screwing the valve back – and carry a few spares.

Cheers

Geoff
                      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

If you stuff a valve core up it is easy to replace but stuff a valve stem up and you need to break the bead on one side of the tyre to pull the new valve stem trough the rim.
                        The old fashion "T" design Schrader valve tools are a must to carry as the have 3 different tools, valve core removal, valve core thread cleaner for inside the valve stem and an external valve stem thread cleaner which is also used when pulling a replacement valve stem through the rim.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• RUGGA
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2014
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

I did once forget to screw the valve core back in, which was easily noticed when it flew past on removal of the deflator. I was fortunate enough to be able to find it again, :
                          +1
                          02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X