• Show
Clear All
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Great photos and story. I’m looking forward to the next leg of the trip
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• rc211e
      • Oct 2013
      • NSW

Thanks guys great reports.
      MY14 Challenger, manual, Dobinson 40mm lift,Peddars 5899 cones , all terrain BFs, front E-locker and factory rear locker XROX bar and side steps, Bushskinz, Hayman Reece towbar, rear fridge slide and ORS aluminium drawer. Samsung tablet with external GPS for navigation. CB radio. Redarc electric brake controller. .

Comment

• sa_on_patrol
        • Aug 2016
        • Mt Barker

Great trip and photos, thanks for sharing.
        2013 NW GLX-R CRD Auto | ARB Bullbar | Projecta IDC25 | Tow Pro Elite | Khumo AT51 265/70R17 | Home Made Rear Storage Unit

Wanted - Dobinsons Suspension, Pioneer Rhino rack, UHF

Comment

• Turorit
          • Oct 2016
          • Adelaide

Great writeup and photos

I'm looking at doing the trip later this year- any tips for young players?
          At this stage its just my NJ and my mates 95 series Prado.

How did you go managing food/water? Quantity & distributing between the cars?
          2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
          --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Turorit View Post
            Great writeup and photos

I'm looking at doing the trip later this year- any tips for young players?
            At this stage its just my NJ and my mates 95 series Prado.

How did you go managing food/water? Quantity & distributing between the cars?

My Top 10 +1!Tips

Tip #1; Go with experienced people if possible or at least talk to experienced people to find out what works and what does not. Both NJswb and myself have done 4 Simpson crossings each so it was routine to us, but it was Pajero 12's first remote trip so he learnt a lot.
            Tip #2; Allow for 20ltres per 100kms across the desert, all 3 vehicles used about 17lt/100km, also allow an extra 100kms on your planned distance.
            Tip #3; When traveling remote from Point A to Point B only use 40% of your resources to cover 60% of the distance. If you use this rule as a point in time/distance traveled to check your progress then you know you have the option to turn around and you have the resources to get back to where you started from.
            Tip #4; Travel as light as you can but have enough food that will last as emergency rations for at least 10 days to 2 weeks. If it rains in the desert you cannot move, water is not a problem but food can be and aerial food drops cost $$$$!.
            Tip #5; Water we allow about 3 litres per day per person for all water consumption, thats drinking, cooking and washing but we actually use about 2 litres per day per person. Conserve water buy keeping meals simple, use paper towel to wipe clean pots, plates and cutlery before washing in hot water. We all carry a hand spray bottle of water and this is used for small cleaning jobs.
            Tip #6; Travel as light and as slow as you can, most suspension systems really suffer under heavy loads and constant sand dune driving. We all have Extra Extra Heavy Duty rear suspension so we can carry weights to axle limits and still have ride heights similar or higher than factory unladen specifications. We have done this in preparation for the CSR next year where we will need 1000kms safe fuel range, 20 days food + 10 days of emergency rations.
            Tip #7; Safety first, be ultra careful look after your eyes, hands, feet and back, do not take any unnecessary risks as medical help is a long way away. Do not over look personal hygiene, if you get a dose of camp belly then this is particularly unpleasant when doing a desert crossing and can be highly contagious. Use hand sanitizer all the time, do not reuse use tea towels unless they are 100% dry, that damp tea towel can bred nasty bugs quicker than you can throw up!
            Burn used toilet paper in the hole before you fill the hole in. It amazes me how many people do not know to do this!
            Tip #8; Preserve you vehicle it has to last until you get home. Drive with mechanical sympathy, if something does not sound right stop and check, do end of day vehicle checks.
            Tip #9; Regularly announce your position and direction of travel on Channel 10 UHF, many people do not. Do this to reduce the risks of head on collisions on dune crests.
            Tip #10; Only help others if you are not risking your own gear, vehicle or selves.
            Tip #11; Enjoy yourselves, take time to look at the sunsets, sunrises and night skies. Turn the music off and listen to the silence.

OJ.
            Last edited by old Jack; 13-06-18, 08:07 PM. Reason: Correction
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• wazza5
              • Jan 2015
              • WA

OJ

A good 11 tips. (doubled up on 8)

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by wazza5 View Post
                OJ

A good 11 tips. (doubled up on 8)
                Thanks and post corrected.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X