• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GitHub
    • Jul 2019
    • Wilson

Car shocks when re-accelerate

Owning a 2002 Pajero exceed, seems to have some problems with the automatic gearbox. When the vehicle is in a move, I release the gas pedal, the vehicle slows down. When I re-accelerate, the car gives me a shock. Upshift and downshift are very smooth, without shock or shudder. I did some tests and trying to find out the cause but with no luck.

1. Accelerate from stationary – no shock
    2. Re-accelerate in manual mode – shock mitigates when gear goes up but not eliminated
    3. Re-accelerate as slow as possible – no shock
    4. Shift from N to D or R – shock
    5. Shift from D to R – shock

Checked transmission shaft and it's pretty tight. No free space to move. The engine seems to have an up and down movement while shifting from N to D or R, but no movement while shifting from D to R or R to D, doesn't seem to be a faulty engine mount. Maybe a faulty rear diff bush? Any advice please.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

When was the last time the transmission was serviced, with a full flush and fluid replacement?

I suspect the issue is related to pressure changes somewhere in one or more hydraulic circuits, the shock coming as pressure returns.

Your Jatco transmission also has a reputation for being very fussy about transmission fluid - it's critical that you use the correct spec fluid. It doesn't need to be genuine, but if in doubt about finding a suitable equivalent it might be safest to use genuine.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Nab
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

Check Uni joints, rear diff backlash, loose rear hub bolts, mounting rubbbers or bushes.
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Uberkreig
        • Oct 2018
        • Victoria

Engine/gearbox mounts are my guess

Comment

• GitHub
          • Jul 2019
          • Wilson

Thanks guys. Problem found, rear diff bush is cracking quite badly. But I'm not going to repair it recently.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by GitHub View Post
            Thanks guys. Problem found, rear diff bush is cracking quite badly. But I'm not going to repair it recently.

Quite possibly not!
            Rear Diff bushes can get superficial surface cracking, others has changed these at great expense and it has not solved their problems.

Have you checked out NJswb 's advice?

When was the last time the transmission was serviced, with a full flush and fluid replacement?

I suspect the issue is related to pressure changes somewhere in one or more hydraulic circuits, the shock coming as pressure returns.

Your Jatco transmission also has a reputation for being very fussy about transmission fluid - it's critical that you use the correct spec fluid. It doesn't need to be genuine, but if in doubt about finding a suitable equivalent it might be safest to use genuine

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• 4ePikanini
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2009
              • South Africa, East London

Make sure the rear axle nuts are tight

Refurb the rear propshaft

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk
              1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
              2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
              2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
              2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Lance
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Melbourne

As old Jack has said, have a very careful look before you replace them
                Those bushes don't look very neat and tidy at the best of times.
                Mine have been diagnosed as 'buggered' on 3 occasions during service work.
                They are not.
                There are very small cracks, but nothing severe.
                There are moulding marks on the surface that could be mistaken for cracks.

2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X