• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjacer
    • Nov 2011
    • Brisbane

NT front struts buggered.

My previous NM was 13 years old when I traded her on my NT, sadly she still had the original struts when I traded her in, I did some serious offroading and she had many a workout but never a drama other than a front wheel bearing and a dodgy temp gauge.
    The NT has just blown both front struts within a few days of each other.
    Seriously how could MM put such piss weak struts in a 4x4?? Thank god I'm not in the middle of the Simpson with 700 klms offroad ahead of me.( I know , I know doing serious trips like that require suspension upgrades - I'm just sayin)
    I know many replace the struts first thing and use aftermarket springs but how can MM use such low quality suspension parts in a vehicle which lives and dies by it's reliability.
    On that note, Bilsteins and Lovells?
  • Ky1e
    • Aug 2015
    • Muswellbrook

Manufacturing costs. There's money to be made in selling and fitting spare parts. Stuffs just not made the same these days. My ns shocks feel terrible. I'll get round to replacing them one day lol

Comment

• Peterng
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2013
      • Northern Rivers NSW

Regardless of what you get to replace the front struts...
      There will be heaps of good advice on what to get in the forums...
      My 2c worth...
      The next pair of struts you decide on...get them pre assembled ready to slot up, they might be about $100 to $150 more per strut depending on manufacuturer, but saves time, heaps of swearing, blood, sweat and tears.
      Plus its best to replace the lot..back shocks as well..
      I have found interestingly with a bit of googling in to wee small hours doing research.., a 2" lift kit is generally equal too or if not cheaper than a standard height set up...again depending on manufacturer.
      Budget roughly about $1500.00 to $2000.00 for a reputable suspension kit for a Pajero.
      Then there is the "Balls to the Wall" systems with remote reservoirs that can be adjustable..again...its a step up in price..there is heaps of advice in the forum threads on RRS systems.

Just a little note...before the hordes get in..
      If the dollars are hard to come by and the mods on the Pajero are a calling, but there are kids, bills and family things to get and pay for...plus getting approval from the Minister of Finance and Household.
      Many of us here in the forum have been down that particular track...
      There are kits starting at about $850's on evil bay.
      Some tradie workmates I know, have the evil bay 2" lift Comfort kits from Archem Industries.
      These 2" kits are in a Ranger, a couple of Troopy Carriers and 79 Land Cruiser ute or two.
      There has been no technical or physical problems so far with these Archem kits in the last 18 months, that I have been told and these blokes do work their their vehicles hard, up here in East Arnhemland.
      They load their units to the hilt with their gear, point south out of Nhulunbuy to the communities and carry on.

Then budget about $300 to $500 for 3rd party fitting.
      If you are handy on the tools...well you will save on fitting.

Good luck..
      Last edited by Peterng; 28-02-17, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Allan2
        • May 2013
        • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Usually most OEM systems are only good for 80 to 100,000 km. Some will go further some shorter distances.
        Allan
        2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• jjacer
          • Nov 2011
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
          Regardless of what you get to replace the front struts...
          There will be heaps of good advice on what to get in the forums...
          My 2c worth...
          The next pair of struts you decide on...get them pre assembled ready to slot up, they might be about $100 to $150 more per strut depending on manufacuturer, but saves time, heaps of swearing, blood, sweat and tears.
          Plus its best to replace the lot..back shocks as well..
          I have found interestingly with a bit of googling in to wee small hours doing research.., a 2" lift kit is generally equal too or if not cheaper than a standard height set up...again depending on manufacturer.
          Budget roughly about $1500.00 to $2000.00 for a reputable suspension kit for a Pajero.
          Then there is the "Balls to the Wall" systems with remote reservoirs that can be adjustable..again...its a step up in price..there is heaps of advice in the forum threads on RRS systems.

Just a little note...before the hordes get in..
          If the dollars are hard to come by and the mods on the Pajero are a calling, but there are kids, bills and family things to get and pay for...plus getting approval from the Minister of Finance and Household.
          Many of us here in the forum have been down that particular track...
          There are kits starting at about $850's on evil bay.
          Some tradie workmates I know, have the evil bay 2" lift Comfort kits from Archem Industries.
          These 2" kits are in a Ranger, a couple of Troopy Carriers and 79 Land Cruiser ute or two.
          There has been no technical or physical problems so far with these Archem kits in the last 18 months, that I have been told and these blokes do work their their vehicles hard, up here in East Arnhemland.
          They load their units to the hilt with their gear, point south out of Nhulunbuy to the communities and carry on.

Then budget about $300 to $500 for 3rd party fitting.
          If you are handy on the tools...well you will save on fitting.

Good luck..
          Yep that's pretty much where my research led me to as well, do the lot front and rear and be done with it.
          Thanks for the info. I have found some Bilstein/Lovell complete kits for around the $900 mark on Ebay and they can be supplied with springs already assembled.

Comment

• jjacer
            • Nov 2011
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Allan2 View Post
            Usually most OEM systems are only good for 80 to 100,000 km. Some will go further some shorter distances.
            Allan
            Yeah mate spot on, mine hit 120,000klms and they both went right on cue.
            As mentioned my previous NM V6 did a lot of offroad work and they were 13 yrs old ( 363,000klms ) original struts - nice soft ride after that long too lol - but I sold her with them still on.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X