• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ezemover
    • Apr 2015
    • Quakers Hill

fuel consumption with 32" tyres

I have a 2016 NX and I was getting around 11-11.5l/100 with the standard 18" wheels running around town and I have now fitted a set of CSA Raptors 17" with 265/70/17 BFG KO2's on them and now I am getting around 12.5 to 13.8l/100 for the same type of around town driving. Just wondering if this was the normal type of fuel usage for bigger wheels, I did a search but couldn't find info.

Also I am looking at putting a DP chip and eventually a 3" exhaust on and just wondering what people's experiences are with the DP chip.

cheers
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Yes, a combination of an increase in diameter, more aggressive tread pattern and a heavier tyres will increase your fuel consumption.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• PradoEater
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2012
      • Oatley

Expect more with the mods, simple reason being you will be flooring it more I'm glad not the only one with similar fuel consumption
      NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
      Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC

Comment

• durx
        • Mar 2015
        • Perth

I think thats high. I have 265 70 17 Dueller AT 697, large steel rack, awning and solar on the roof. Plus Iron Man draws with heaps of stuff and 120amp duel battery in the boot so my car is heavy and I get much better than that.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Driving around town can be very misleading. I live in Cairns and can get 10 litres aorund town or 13 litres to the hundred around town. All depends on traffic flow, lights and right foot action.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• gringo
            • Jun 2009
            • Harrington Park (Sydney)

Me two think it's bit heavy I'm running same ko2 full under body protection roof rack dual battery winch and stuff I get around 10 lt and think it's high

Comment

• spiderpig
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ezemover View Post
              I have a 2016 NX and I was getting around 11-11.5l/100 with the standard 18" wheels running around town and I have now fitted a set of CSA Raptors 17" with 265/70/17 BFG KO2's on them and now I am getting around 12.5 to 13.8l/100 for the same type of around town driving. Just wondering if this was the normal type of fuel usage for bigger wheels, I did a search but couldn't find info.

Also I am looking at putting a DP chip and eventually a 3" exhaust on and just wondering what people's experiences are with the DP chip.

cheers
              Dont forget that with the standard rims and tyres your speedo kph/distance will more than likely have been over-reading by atleast 5%, ie the trip meter says you would have done 100k's but in reality you have done 95k's (for example). Put different wheels and tyres on and it may have brought it up to reading spot on or even under-reading now, ie speedo says you have done 100k's but you might have actually travelled 105k's.
              Best way to confirm is with a GPS.
              My point is, you need to take into account this change when calculating fuel usage figures to be able to accurately compare to stock (Before and After).
              Just another way manufacturers trick us into achieving better fuel consumption from factory than we really are.

Comment

• PradoEater
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2012
                • Oatley

I think it comes down to right foot in my case, I have MT duellers 32s and car weighs just tad bellow 2.8t.
                NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
                Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC

Comment

• underdog
                  • Jan 2015
                  • Campbelltown, NSW.

I run 285/70/17 (33") on my auto NW and I would easily weigh 2.8t. I'm not super gentle with the way i drive, but am not a hoon either.. and I average 14.5L/100km. I couldn't care less about its fuel economy however. It'd be nice of course, but I'm realistic about what I expect my 4wd to achieve on-road when it is setup for offroad use.
                  2011 Pajero NW GL 3.2 Auto
                  Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.

Comment

• P4J3R0
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Brisbane

I run 275/65 R18 and normally sit up around 12-14L. Trips away with trailer normally go up to 14-18L depending on weight, right peddle action and high or low tide.

This is why it's good having the daily work hack and the nice paj for weekends and trips.
                    NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

The only way to measure your fuel consumption is with a GPS. When you fit larger tyres, the wheels don't turn as many times to cover the same distance compared to standard tyres. You car Odomoter thinks it has only covered XXX km when in fact it may have done 1.1 times that distance. The odometer is only counting the number of revolutions of the tailshaft, so it has no way of actually measuring the distance.

End result is that people complain about poor economy with larger tyres. Yes - aggressive treads can cause higher conumption, but I reckon in most cases, the car is effectively running in a higher gear and that is what is causing most of the apparent consumption increase. The odometer is not registering the same distance as it used to.

Comment

• AzzsNX
                        • Jun 2016
                        • Adelaide

It's hard to have a blanket for this. I have cooper at3's on and I get in town around 11 and on the open road 9.8L. My wife drives my car most days and she averages 13.5 around town. Same car, but I use around 2L less. How much right foot plays a key role.

Bigger tyres are always going to increase fuel usage. The more mods the more your fuel goes up.
                        I'm interested to see the dpchip results. More power and less fuel... I doubt it, more power for sure, less fuel I'm a skeptic. But would love to hear more.
                        NX Pajero, 2" OME Lift, ARB Steel bar, Cooper At3's, Jet Black Windows, iCom UHF, Redarc Towpro, full set Boo's Bash Plates.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X