• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharky
    Valued Member
    • May 2008
    • Kilmore

Originally posted by MattyDucati View Post
    Id do what i done, buy a boost gauge and fit it your self and then go from there.
    Not hard to do, over the next week or so i'll do a right up on the install with pics.
    No worries Matt thanks I'd appreciate seeing exactly how its done Cheers!
    ----------------------------
    'Steve'
    2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• '87 Pajero
      • Dec 2007

G'day, the td fuel pump has a boost diaphragm to 'read' the boost - more boost, more fuel, less boost, less fuel. Boost Guages are 55 bucks at super cheap, well worth it and very easy to plumb in, comes with all fittings. just the thing to replace that useless 'inclinometer' in the centre guages lol. If you want to know more about turbos on diesels http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_109344/article.html is a fantastic read well worth it. Cheers Al
      '91 NH 2.5TD gq springs, side steps, 120L Diesel tank, Airflow Snorkel, Alloy Bull Bar.

Comment

• sharky
        Valued Member
        • May 2008
        • Kilmore

Thanks Al a good read I also spoke to a turbo joint today and they said first they need to dyno it $220 I thought this could be an endless money throwaway so I might look at getting a guage and go from there cheers mate
        'Steve'
        2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• '87 Pajero
          • Dec 2007

When you buy a guage, ask for about two meters of vacuum/turbo hose to suit, i think it is about 4mm, should be three bucks a metre. The guage should come with a plastic tee piece and short length of hose, some white plastic line and assorted brass fittings. Put the barbed brass piece straight on the back of the guage with some teflon tape. Under the bonnet, find the wastegate actuator, mine on a 4d56t is bolted to the inlet manifold. remove the hose, put the tee piece in and cut about 6 inches of the rubber hose to run back to the actuator. Don't cut the original hose in case you need to put it back! Put the rest of the hose on the tee piece and run through the fire wall. Plug into back of guage and gaffa tape to steering column until you figure out where to mount it, lol. Mine runs about ten psi full throttle, but would probably be a bit less after the intercooler. If you want to see what more boost will do, undo the line to the actuator and clamp it shut. I would recomend using a light foot and keep a close eye on the boost guage though! Cheers al
          Last edited by '87 Pajero; 14-03-09, 09:13 PM.
          '91 NH 2.5TD gq springs, side steps, 120L Diesel tank, Airflow Snorkel, Alloy Bull Bar.

Comment

• sharky
            Valued Member
            • May 2008
            • Kilmore

Thanks for that Al I will get a guage and have a play see how much trouble I can get into
            'Steve'
            2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• dusty_nz
              Valued Member
              • May 2008

Well?

I am in the same boat.

What did you find Sharky?
              97 LWB NL 2.8 TDI.
              285x75x16 on 16" ROH's. Lokka, GU Springs. Snorkel, Swaybay discon's, Warn M8000, Redarc Dual Batt.
              7" GPS. Handsfree UHF, Rear door shelf, Boost Controller, 70L Waeco.
              Pending: RidePro shocks. PN 117072 for a '90+ IFS 4Runner coil rear. Endless Air

Comment

• dusty_nz
                Valued Member
                • May 2008

Well have just purchased a GFB Boost controller. One of the things it allows you to do is tweak the boost. It also compensates for wastegate leakage which slows the engines ability to generate boost.

Eg without increasing total boost.

Eg the different is the increased power down the bottom end. The greenline is with GFB.

I also need to buy a boost guage unless someone can loan me one. Not planning on plumbing it up, just want to get an idea of what boost it currently has.

I will then bump it up to 11-12psi ans leave it there for a while.
                97 LWB NL 2.8 TDI.
                285x75x16 on 16" ROH's. Lokka, GU Springs. Snorkel, Swaybay discon's, Warn M8000, Redarc Dual Batt.
                7" GPS. Handsfree UHF, Rear door shelf, Boost Controller, 70L Waeco.
                Pending: RidePro shocks. PN 117072 for a '90+ IFS 4Runner coil rear. Endless Air

Comment

• sharky
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2008
                  • Kilmore

Geez has it been that long since I posted this. I still have'nt got around to getting the guage yet but I will do it.
                  'Steve'
                  2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X