Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-2 Pajero

Generation 4-2 Pajero NT model 2009 - 2011

Old 07-05-10

Just looking through what the differences are between the Toyota v5.1 and MMCS... Large chunks of the code are exactly the same, but then again, other large chunks are different. I am going to try a few "nasty" little tricks first (kinda like open heart surgery with a pair of bolt cutters) such as creating a mutant Loading KWI file with most of the MMCS kwi file, but the v5.1 stuff that contains the "Override" option.

If that does not work, I will have to pull things apart in a more refined manner until I find the "Override" option. Eventually I will have to do this anyway - once we have the code we could simply add a menu option elsewhere to enable it (rather than through the service menus).

Right... where is that chainsaw...!!!!
Old 07-05-10

You're a brave man Nathan.
I remember reading that you cannot downgrade the firmware to a lower number. Unless there a way to clear the roms you will be stuck using a disk with a hacked version number. ie: to revert back to the v15 disk you will have to hack the version number of the code on the standard v15 disk.
Old 07-05-10

Absolute cods-wallop (always wanted to say that).

Right... good news is the MMCS unit has been well thought out by Fujitsu-Ten / Eclipse - it will be hard to brick the unit (basically this means it is hard to make the unit into a useless paperweight by "playing" around like I am).

The bad news is the first triple heart bypass has failed. So... lets see what we now know...

Updating the software: This is easy - enter the diagnostics menu (13131342) and select "Loading". Hit "yes". CAUTION: This will reload the software from your disk (however it seems to keep your settings such as radio stations).

If the built-in "boot loader" is not happy with the new software, it will lock up telling you not to turn off the power. Unfortunately I had no choice at that stage as I was trying every option to get the stoopid DVD to eject.

Ejecting a disk when the system is suck in the "boot loader" process: This took me 45mins to figure out... Pressing the tilt button still works, and indeed, many of the radio functions also work. The trick to get the Map DVD to eject has something to do with the touch screen. I tried several sequences, but suspect the method is this:
1. Push the tilt button to "open" the unit.
2. Press the touch screen in the center until you hear the DVD being ejected. If that does not work, try something like (top left, bot right, TL, BR, TL, BR, TR, BL then center).

My system is back to the way it was now. Later on the weekend I will try something a little more graceful in the way of melding the two Loading.kwi files together. For those who want to know what I did this time:

Download the v5.1 Toyota loading.kwi file.

The following three (unix) commands basically take the start of the MMCS file including the Program Block, and the rest from the Toyota file, and mash them together.

dd if=MITSU.KWI of=start.bin bs=1024 count=312
dd if=TOYOTA.KWI of=end.bin bs=1024 skip=312
cat start.bin end.bin > LOADING.KWI

Then burn new CD (as per many instructions on the net) using the new Loading.kwi file and your original map cd.
Old 07-05-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanNT View Post
Updating the software: This is easy - enter the diagnostics menu (13131342) and select "Loading". Hit "yes". CAUTION: This will reload the software from your disk (however it seems to keep your settings such as radio stations).
I found this also. I did find another option in one of the service menus called initialise memory. It then gave a warning about don't turn the system off until told to do so. Once turned off and on again it reloaded everything off disk and wiped all setting, inc radio stations, phone book, user settings etc. Back to a blank canvas.

Hope it helps
Steve
Cool Silver 25th Anniversary Edition Diesel Auto, ARB Bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, Sandgrabbers, Raw 4x4 Suspension + Firestone Airbags, Airtec Snorkel, TJM IBS Dual Battery System, BushSkinz Intercooler/Sump/Transmission/Transfer Bash Plates & Side Steps, LRA 58lts Aux Tank, 17" ROH RTX with Bridgestone D697LT's + Australian Off Road Campers Quantum! Read about our Adventures HERE!
Old 08-05-10

Just a quick update... I have tried bypass operations number 3 and 4 today (#2 was late last night). #3 I managed to convince most of the first stage of the boot loader to start, and in #4 I got the boot loader to at least be a little happier and take another step along the road to a modified bit of code.

On ejecting the DVD if it gets stuck / fails... Press "tilt" button to Open the unit. Then press the top right of the touch screen. The dvd will eject.

The next operation will probably be next weekend - I have to write a special program to reconstruct a KWI file so it loads correctly.
Old 09-05-10

Great work NathanNT
Sounds like youre getting very close to cracking this coconut
Old 13-05-10

More tiny steps along the path... Lots of trials to see how the boot loader works - ie trying to convince the MMCS to load a modified LOADING.KWI file. Tonight was the first successful load of a modified file. Still not sure if there is a checksum on the file.

The boot loader seems to work in two or possibly three stages:

Stage 1: Loading the LOADING.KWI file into memory. This seems to perform some basic check of the file when loading - it can detect small problems with the file, and will attempt to restart the loading process if there is a problem.

Stage 2/3: Once the file has been loaded, I suspect control is handed over to the PROG NAVI MAIN (PNM) section in LOADING.KWI. At this point I suspect the PNM goes through and loads each section of LOADING.KWI into memory. This is based on PNM containing references to all the MIUT sections, and some others we do not have.

I almost have the Toyota v5.1 code working - however trying to figure out where to patch things together is a challenge.
Old 14-05-10

Not long now by the sounds of it Nathan.
Great work mate.
Old 15-05-10
Valued Member

I am having trouble making a banana sandwich. Do you peel them first? Do they go in the middle or on top. So you can see my difficulty... I am Buggered if I know what you guys are doing. ;P
Old 15-05-10
Valued Member

Red face Good On Ya Bing!

I got lost a long time ago, as much as I wanted to follow I can't even see them let alone catch up.

But I am very interested in the outcome!!

Regards.....