• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2bad4u
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Perth, Western Australia

Volt Meter Wiring

I've purchased a couple of 12v volt meters off of ebay, one is going to be wired to the second battery at the rear of the car (simple enough) but my concern is wiring to the main battery for the 2nd volt meter.

Having read stories on here about people cooking their ecu's, etc, by simply wiring in switches, I want to know what others have done with their volt meters. It is a simple 2 wire (+ve and -ve) volt meter so did most people wire it straight to the main battery? If not then where?

My car is an NW.

Cheers
    Warren
    Warren
    2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
    2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Just wiring a volt meter isn't likely to cause you any dramas. You really are going to just have the positive lead connect to the battery's + and the negative to the - but that will give you a reading even when the ignition is off - if that is what you want. If you only want it to give you a reading when the ignition is on, you will have to get a bit more creative.

Wiring in switches can be a bit more complicated depending on what the switch is switching and where it is picking up power etc. Some switches can be internally wired so that they can give problems that you don't expect and you need to use diodes to stop unwanted effects.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• 2bad4u
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009

Thanks Geoff

I was in two minds about how to do it. With the second battery I was just going to put a momentary / push button switch in line. With the main battery I may just take it off the back of the cigarette lighter then so it's only with ignition.
      Warren

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

That should work fine - just remember with the switch, you usually use the switch to break the earth, not the positive. 90% of the time it probably wouldn't make any difference - it's probably more convention than anything - also means you have less positive wires running to switches etc.

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Nivo
          • Apr 2009
          • Nhulunbuy, NT

I just used a relay for mine triggered by an accessories power feed in my NP. As soon as the key is turned the volt meter shows whats in the 2nd battery. I also used that same trigger wire to show what the main battery has on another volt meter.
          Cheers
          Nivo
          Gone to another home - 2001 NM GLS 2.8 TDI, MM Alloy bull bar, 2" Tough Dog lift kit, Dual batteries, Lokka front diff lock, Engine guardian.

2004 NP GLX 3.2 DID - ARB deluxe winch bullbar, 2" Lovells lift, Dual battery, O/L dual wheel rear bar, Modified LRA 81L aux tank, Custom sliders / sidesteps, UHF, Wetseat neoprene covers, Led lightbars, Undercarriage guarding, Engine guardian, Led reverse lights, Runva 11XP winch.

Yet to happen: Front air locker, led telescopic work lights.

Comment

• 2bad4u
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009

OK, one for the sparkies. Does this wiring setup look OK for what I want to do.

Voltmeters only coming on with accessory power.
            Momentary switch to check Aux battery voltage without turning on ignition.
            Normal 4 pin 20a relay.

Anything I've missed?

Cheers
            Warren
            Attached Files
            Warren

Comment

• 2bad4u
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009

Finally got around to wiring in a couple of volt meters (as per the wiring diagram above). Installed them near the foot rest so they are easy to view and not in the way. Put a momentary switch on the auxiliary meter so that I can check it without turning on the ignition.

IMG_0423 by Wardon Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0422 by Wardon Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0421 by Wardon Photography, on Flickr
              Warren

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2013
                • Sydney

Looks good.

Will the Aux read when the IGN is on or only if the momentary switch is pressed irrespective of the ignition?
                NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• 2bad4u
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009

Aux reads when ignition is on and can be read (via the switch) when ignition is off.
                  Warren

Comment

• TC.Barky
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • Melbourne

Great setup. Like the momentary switch idea, very clever
                    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• MyExceed
                      • May 2014
                      • Hobart, Tas

Nice job, could you post a link to the gauges please
                      Mark

NS Exceed V6, xrox bar with domin8r 12000lb winch, The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, LED spots, LED fog lights, 40" roof mounted lightbar, OCAM alloy rack, dual batteries, Boos bash plates, diff breathers, Garmin 67LMT GPS, Tyredog TPMS, Uniden UHF, Engel MR40f in rear drawer system, external phone antennae, cargo barrier, dual side awnings, RTT, shovel holder, spare wheel lift

Comment

• 2bad4u
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009

eBay is your friend........

Voltmeter Link

Got the momentary switch from Jaycar.
                        Warren

Comment

• KPJero
                          • May 2019
                          • QLD

Hey guys,
                          I installed the dual voltage monitor from supercheap. It was $13. It's wired always on. Surely it won't drain either battery sitting always on

Comment

• Keithyv
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2018
                            • Perth

It will, but depends on how much it draws of course as to how long until it flattens the battery.

You'd need to measure the current it draws to make a good calculation but my semi-educated guess would be not to leave the car idle for more than 3-4 weeks.
                            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• KPJero
                              • May 2019
                              • QLD

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                              It will, but depends on how much it draws of course as to how long until it flattens the battery.

You'd need to measure the current it draws to make a good calculation but my semi-educated guess would be not to leave the car idle for more than 3-4 weeks.
                              Ah yeah fair enough, it's my daily driver so drive it at least once a week haha

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X