• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gemster
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Gold Coast

Project Covid

Not too sure where to post this , So being a Gen2 Here we are... Also this is NOT about my 'Mitzy', its My "Project Covid" im having issues with...
    I had a small issue today relating to the Remote for the Central Locking..
    I had a flat Battery 3 days ago, the car had been sitting for over a week with-out any use, so I re-charged the Battery and it starts great now... But I think I have something draining the Battery.. there is a heap of wires that go nowhere under the dash, so I intend to trace them and remove them...
    But my main issue is after disconnecting the battery, my remote fob for the Central Locking won't work and I have to use the keys to enter the car. The indicators flash as if its working, but won't un-lock the doors..
    It's an old looking Fob and I have contacted the maker of the Fob and as I thought, Obsolete Model... Hmmm I can re-program a new Fob at Mister Minit they say, but as This is the only Anti theft device fitted to the car, I don't like that... Living in a stolen car 'hotspot' I need something better..
    I also noticed after fitting new speakers in the right rear there is no RF Remote control Locking RX/TX Box fitted... There are 2 lots of wires there and the Big one I think fits into this box.. See Pic..
    What would the smaller plug be for? Any pointers?
    So what do the Members think I can/should do?
    Im thinking an aftermarket Alarm with Central Locking... But do I need the RX/TX Box fitted?
    And Any Recommended Brands I should be looking at, Nothing flash, as Funds are limited...
    But I really need something..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	999423
    Gemster...
    Last edited by gemster; 30-06-20, 10:42 PM.
    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men
  • gemster
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Gold Coast

I also forgot to mention, When the system worked, it was very 'slow' to unlock and windows were 'tight' so after removing the door trims and giving the locks and windows a spray of Silicone spray they run like a dream..

Would Silicone spray onto the Solenoids stuff them?...

And if I fitted an Alarm would I need one that has the Central Locking Feature and solenoids included in the kit ? Im thinking I do..

Gemster...
    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...

Comment

• El_Freddo
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2018
      • Bridgewater, Vic

You need to wash your hands before and after project work (sorry, couldn’t help myself)

I’m going to add an immobiliser and remote central locking to my Brumby and this is the mob I’ll be purchasing from: https://dynamco.com.au/products/vehi...d-accessories/

You get what you pay for, from memory these guys aren’t cheap but an auto sparky mate tells me that these are a quality product that will go the distance. I also have an old version of their current immobiliser in my RS, it stays disconnected from the battery for long periods of time yet works without issue when I need it to.

Cheers

Bennie
      2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• gemster
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2012
        • Gold Coast

Lol... Plenty of Sanitizer on board...

Funny thing is that the Fob worked this morning and opened the doors... Must need time to re-set or something like that..

Enquired about an Alarm today as well, so that will be sorted soon...
        I will look into what you are getting...

Gemster...

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

Years ago installed a basic Rhino system into the wife’s N15 Pulsar.
          For me, it’s main purpose was remote central locking. The alarm and immobiliser were added bonuses.
          It was easy enough to install and worked perfectly for all the years we had the car.
          This looks like the current equivalent;

While I agree with El Freddo about getting what you pay for, it’s not for a high end Maserati.
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• gemster
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Gold Coast

That's right geopaj, that's all I really want it for...
            The link you sent looks the goods.... And in my price range...Thanks again..
            I took Project Covid in for a Pre-roadworthy today. Just to see what I need to do.. Gee he picked everything you could think of...
            Some things I can understand BUT,
            He wants me to pull out the rear draws that are in it and refit the 6th and 7th seats and seatbelts. ..

I had no issues getting Mitzy Registered in QLD with your rear Draws fitted...

Think I will be going somewhere else...

Gemster...

Comment

• Just Cruzin
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Pakenham

Originally posted by gemster View Post
              That's right geopaj, that's all I really want it for...
              The link you sent looks the goods.... And in my price range...Thanks again..
              I took Project Covid in for a Pre-roadworthy today. Just to see what I need to do.. Gee he picked everything you could think of...
              He wants me to pull out the rear draws that are in it and refit the 6th and 7th seats and seatbelts. ..

I had no issues getting Mitzy Registered in QLD with your rear Draws fitted...

Think I will be going somewhere else...

Gemster...
              If you get it registered without back seats, it will be engineered as a 5 seater and will always have to remain that way. Drawers might be a safety issue without a cargo barrier and strength of hold down points.
              99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• gemster
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2012
                • Gold Coast

Yes I understand it can be an issue, but I told him that there is a cage to be fitted and the drawers are bolted down with Hi-tensile bolts in the hold down points...
                My point I said was, 'that would make every 2nd 4x4 in QLD un-roadworthy as most have rear seats and they have taken them out to fit Drawers....

Anyhow I think I will head elsewhere when the time comes, as I have a big list that's going to take some $ and time to get on the road...

After all it's a Project...

Gemster...
                Last edited by gemster; 01-07-20, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• pharb
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Tyers,Vic

A user can "temporarily" remove the seats etc to fit draws, and so long as the seats and belts etc can be refitted to the car it will not be deemed unroadworthy.

But a Roadworthy Certifier has to certify the car in 7 seat form if it is registered as a 7 seater. They have to inspect all seat belts, mounts etc before they can deem the car roadworthy. They can't certify what they can't see.
                  There will be a box on the form that says "seatbelts in good condition" (for example) and if they were to tick that box it means they are certifying the seatbelts for all 7 seats are roadworthy. I doubt they will do that if 2 of the seatbelts are in a box in the rear of the shed at home.

Those that argue that unbolting seats is a "permanent" modification and therefore not allowed, by default must also mean unbolting the gearbox to replace clutch means the gearbox removal is "permanent" as well.
                  PCOV Member 1107.
                  Daily driver NX GLX
                  Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                  Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                  Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• aussieguy
                    • Oct 2015
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by gemster View Post
                    I have a pair in my shed for roadworthy and machinery purposes if your need. Im in Briz Vegas.
                    05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                    02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• gemster
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2012
                      • Gold Coast

Thanks for the Kind offer aussieguy, but I have a set...
                      I will remove the drawers and fit them for Rego when the time comes...
                      How did you go with your Seats?

Gemster...

Comment

• Alex86
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Here and there

Mine got thru in QLD without the rear seats installed (have drawers). Not sure if they made a comment about it or not....

Seatbelts were still there though.
                        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• gemster
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Gold Coast

Well its been quite awhile since i have posted an update.... So i have been busy punching out Suspension rubbers, replacing them and some diff and oil seals in the transfer case.... All good so far... The Previous Owner had an issue with a miss in the Engine.. He told me that he had the Inlet Manifold off to get in to replace the Plugs and Leads... But He didn't use a new gasket or even a gasket at all on the Air Manifold or Throttle Body...... It ran fine down the highway but at idle it was real bad and tried to stall all the time... So it was time to investigate...

Well i think he was right, No old gaskets to be seen... I have purchased a full set of Inlet Gaskets and have begun the job of replacing them... After marking the bolts and removing the Air-box side Hose/tube i found a quite Dirty Throttle body..(first pic) Hmmm... I separated the Throttle Body from the Manifold and was very shocked to find this.. (second pic)...Looks like the miss has been going on for quite some time with the amount of Crud inside the Manifold side... Why would you do that job with-out Gaskets is beyond Me..

So i purchased some Throttle body cleaner and im about to commence to clean it.. But, i have been told that i need to be super careful using it... I have never done this job before and i was just asking is there anything i need to be aware of... I haven't actually removed the TB as i was told to leave it in its rough position and NOT to disconnect it wire wise.. I will also clean the Inlet Manifold as well as it's full of Crud too.... Should i go deeper in to the Manifold system to clean it all out ?

Is this correct and can i just clean it carefully or is it best to disconnect it so i can get in better to clean it... I have seen some vids on Youtube on how to do it, but they all show the TB separated from the car and cleaned on the bench..
                          Hoping for a bit of advise from those who have done this before...

Gemster...
                          Attached Files

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

You are fine to disconnect everything and fully remove. Where you might have issues is when you start moving the pre set idle screw, tps etc. You can get things back to running fine, but it's just more work that leaving where they are.

I've actually found the repco cheap degreaser to be better than throttle body cleaner. Doesn't evaporate as fast, and removes the crud well. Combination of the 2 worked well on my Camry though. I find the throttle body cleaner often lifts the stuff, then evaporates so fast that it just moves it somewhere else rather than fully remove it. I also found that the base/alkali type degreaser got some off that the others wouldn't, but it sometimes works too well when used after the other type and leaves no protection on the parts at all, ended up with a lot of surface corrosion in my engine bay (it was really bad before though, so I was ultra thorough). This is with the component off the car and washing it down the sink in garage

Comment

• gemster
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Gold Coast

Thanks Stu.. I have had issues with the TPS on Mitzy, and vowed NEVER to touch that thing again.....

Yes i know it evaps quick, but with one spraying and one cleaning I think We can get it done... Would you go further and Remove the second Manifold and clean that area as well ?

I really don't want to go deeper, but i will if i have too... The crud in the TB is about 1-2mm thick on the Manifold side, so will take a bit to clean..

I was also told that the inside is coated with something and i need to be careful that i don't remove the coating... Im guessing that's what you did, hence the Corrosion ?

Gemster...
                              Last edited by gemster; 06-01-21, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X