• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Nw bulb types

Went back 6 pages in electrical section but couldn't find answer...

Want to change my high beam and low beam on my 2014NW. Will go with led,s for high and low beam, must be adr compliant. What are the bulb fitting types for high and low? Looking at Night-eye but want to ensure I order the correct fitting bulbs. Thanks
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

H11 55w for low beam
    H9 65w for high beam
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Further more if you search using the below it will bring up related threads/posts from this forum. Good info regarding LEDs too.

pajero nw headlight globes site:www2.pajeroclub.com.au
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• NFT5
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Canberra

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        Want to change my high beam and low beam on my 2014NW. Will go with led,s for high and low beam, must be adr compliant.

No such thing, mate. Have a look at what I said in this thread.

The halogen H11 to H9 conversion will give you a compliant beam because the filament placement is the same on these two bulbs. However the H9 can go over the 2000 lumens limit for low beam. Not by much, (around 100 lumens depending on bulb) but if you're looking to stay technically compliant....

Staying strictly compliant to the ADRs, the next step is to replace the complete projector unit with an LED projector. Some of these do comply with the ADRs but they're still hellishly expensive just for the projectors, without fitting. Very nice, even white light although they still have some issues with the forground and are using a limiter, so you end up with a cutoff at top and bottom of the beam. Not a bad thing, just disconcerting for those not used to it.
        Chris

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Mainly after a better low light . The standard factory low beam is hite as far as I,m concerned. Can make do with my high beam and light bar. Any thoughts on a good low beam led? Dont want to blind/dazzle oncoming traffic...afterall, it could be me they hit!!

Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• NFT5
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Canberra

I'd say just do the H11 to H9 mod first. In itself that will give you nearly 50% more lumens. If you're happy with that then all good. If not then you have spare bulbs for your high beams and you can look at the next level for the lows.
            Chris

Comment

• craka
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Newcastle (Newie)

Can you retrofit a set HIDs from a higher spec'd pajero?

I have low beam HIDs that were standard on the NS X swb , but I find them fantastic for low beam light. They do cut off at a particular level though which took a little getting use to, when going up and down hills in a suburban environment.
              NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Originally posted by craka View Post
                Can you retrofit a set HIDs from a higher spec'd pajero?

You can, but you miss out on the auto levelling and washers (unless you could get these from a wreck). Just replacing the lights with genuine, new ones is going to set you back about the same as what it would cost to retrofit new projectors into current lights. Retrofitted projectors are generally bi-xenon, meaning that they are both high and low beam. They also outperform the genuine items by a sizable margin.
                Chris

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
                  I'd say just do the H11 to H9 mod first. In itself that will give you nearly 50% more lumens. If you're happy with that then all good. If not then you have spare bulbs for your high beams and you can look at the next level for the lows.

Any recommendations with regards to model/make ? Will only worry about low beam as in reality the driving light bar has long range covered.
                  Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Bru9
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Victoria

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                    Mainly after a better low light . The standard factory low beam is hite as far as I,m concerned. Can make do with my high beam and light bar. Any thoughts on a good low beam led? Dont want to blind/dazzle oncoming traffic...afterall, it could be me they hit!!

For my Paj the only real solution is a proper HID retrofit big $ even if you buy the stuff & install yourself, can be alot of awful work if you have to get the lens off the lamp in the oven etc. No blinding on comingtraffic with projectors. Based on my Pajero any simple bulb upgrade gives a very average result as the headlamp is simply a bad design, high wattage halogens are going to do very little in a poor lamp & just risk melting the finish & lens. Stupid one large lamp one bulb design really.
                    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Just waiting for the Stedi led globes for low beam. Have excellent reports but currently sold out.
                      Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

One big problem with putting brighter bulbs in the low beam is that when you have to dip the lights, there is white and then there is NOTHING. Hopefully the cutoff is very sharp (otherwise you are dazzling everyone else, and they could then run into you), and the contrast between the lit and unlit areas is too much with ultra bright lights.

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by erad View Post
                          One big problem with putting brighter bulbs in the low beam is that when you have to dip the lights, there is white and then there is NOTHING. Hopefully the cutoff is very sharp (otherwise you are dazzling everyone else, and they could then run into you), and the contrast between the lit and unlit areas is too much with ultra bright lights.

Agree. However after looking at several videos of the Stedi and going on feed back from people who have bought them...there appears to be general consensus that they dont dazzle oncoming cars. High beam is great (with lightbar). Dipping them at the moment goes from bright light to a bad yellowish glow. I do very little night driving now but when I do I would like to see the road a lot better than the poor vision I get now. The cutoff on the Stedi is quite distinctive.
                          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• geopaj
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by erad View Post
                            Here’s a comparison fitted to my NT...
                            Left is an incandescent globe, right is Stedi LED replacement globe.

Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                              Here’s a comparison fitted to my NT...
                              Left is an incandescent globe, right is Stedi LED replacement globe.

Thanks for posting. Validates my decision to go for the upgrade to the Stedi brand.
                              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X