• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nrussell
    • Apr 2020
    • Canberra, ACT

NH MT - Stuck in low range

Hi all,

Today when I got home and was driving up my hill in the backyard I put the car into 4LLc to just test it out. I don't know if the centre diff locked or not, but it definitely went into low range.

When I drove the car again tonight, it felt like it was still in low range. I don't think the centre diff is locked, as I was turning and it wasn't giving me any resistance, but the whole car felt heavy (like it was in low). It felt like I could move between 4wd and 2wd, but maybe not.

Any knowledge/ideas on

1) How to get out of low range? (I read on another thread the transfer case lever could of popped out - how to put back in?)

2) How to test if centre diff is locked? (preferably at home - possible to do safely with jack stands?)

Thanks in advance.
    1992 Pajero NH 3.0L V6 ~535,000km
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Put the transmission into neutral, select 2WD, jack up a front wheel and rotate it by hand. The transmission has probably bound up and doing this will hopefully release it and it should eventually go back into 2WD. Another way to unbind the transmission is to slowly reverse on a flat gravel surface. This will unwind the lockup and hopefully release the transmission.

If it is in low range, the transmission is locked up. You can check this by jacking a rear wheel and trying to rotate it whilst having it in gear. The wheel should not turn if the centre diff is locked.

Comment

• nrussell
      • Apr 2020
      • Canberra, ACT

Originally posted by erad View Post
      Select 2WD, jack up a front wheel and rotate it by hand. The transmission has probably bound up and doing this will hopefully release it and it should eventually go back into 2WD. Another way to unbind the transmission is to slowly reverse on a flat gravel surface. This will unwind the lockup and hopefully release the transmission.
      Okay i'll give it a go tomorrow. The oil also needs changing, I checked it the other day and it's bad.
      1992 Pajero NH 3.0L V6 ~535,000km

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X