• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomwithannl
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Long live the NLs

This post really doesn't belong in the travel section (even though I just finished 1500km around Tassie) or in the mechanical section (because I had 0 mechanical problems) or in the fuel section as I recorded 18l/100km (which I think is excellent for the hills we climbed and the roads we traveled) or not even in the hot spots section because everywhere in Tassie is a "hot spot" as far as scenery goes. I thought about placing it in the "trecking around Oz" section but we had so much enjoyment traveling we didn't keep details of every place we went to or through. Then there was the photo section but who has time to take photos when you are enjoying yourself so much? Well apart from this one.

All joking aside, what a great touring / tow vehicle the last version of the Gen 2 are!
    Over nearly 2 decades mine has taken me and the wife around (and across and through) the mainland of Australia with many, many side trips to some very remote places and in more recent years touring all over my (now) home state of Tassie, all these trips were towing caravans, boats or trailers and it has NEVER let us down.
    I am honestly saddened that so many are being needlessly destroyed through the MMAL & Takata fiasco as they are such an honest and capable 4x4 that, like a pet animal, they deserve to live until it is their time to go.

Tom
    1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
    1953 Morris Minor ute
    1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
    2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

Obviously the forum needs a "living the dream" section

I (and no doubt many others) am green with envy of your travels
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Alex86
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Here and there

They are a great vehicle.

Kind of why I have two of them, and parents have one.
      None will be relinquished if we have our way!
      '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
      Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

Have to admit - mine is really getting to the end of its life ---- I bought the engine (NL SOHC) with unknown kms and put it in my NJ --- I did 60000kms in that expecting it to die as I never did anything but oil changes --- I had not even done the timing belt ---- I then bought my NL which was a registered rolling shell and only needed an engine. I dropped the engine and manual box into it and have done over 40000 kms - still on the same timing belt and the last 25000 with 8 psi of boost in it....

A few weeks ago I had a family emergency which resulted in me having to do a 1000km midinight run through rural WA and not wanting to take my good road cars through roo territory I jumped in the NL and off I went---- 1000 kms in one night with not an issue - sure the fuel use was high but I have it tuned that way and it used exactly what I have it tuned to use

I am going to take it into mitsi soon and hopefully the non airbag dash will get the same result as others here then it gets a 3.8 (with the super charger as well) and a paint job

I love my NL Pajero
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• pharb
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Tyers,Vic

Had to retire our 4m40 Nj to the parts grave yard behind the shed recently, but have replaced it with an NL.

Which car do we take the dogs up the bush in?
          The NL.

Which car do we get wood i?
          The NL.

When the wife's Astina had a flat battery last week which cardid she take to work?
          The NL.

The poor NX has been relagated to holiday chariot only, which was actually why we got the NL - so we didn't wear out the NX.

But the NL goes so well I even contemplate do we even need the NX?

The wife says the NX is like driving a Toyota. Boring as batshit with absolutely no character.
          PCOV Member 1107.
          Daily driver NX GLX
          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
          Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
          Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X