• Show
Clear All
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Random buzzing noise - drivers side

Hi All,

We are getting an intermittent random buzzing noise from the front drivers side of our NS. It is not the HBB noise that you get when turning on the ignition. I drove the car over the weekend and it did not happen, but my wife has had it happen 5 times today.

She says it is coming from accelerator area, and if her foot is on the accelerator she cannot feel it but she can feel it through the brake. It is short (1 sec) and she describes it as a metallic grind or scrape. I believe its electrical and the times I have heard it I'd describe it as an electrical buzz.

I found a few posts about the HBB but this is definitely coming from inside the cabin. I also found an old post (for a Gen1) referencing a similar sound from the same area that was thought to be the flasher unit.

We have not yet had the indicator contact recall done (booked for Aug).

Any feedback and ideas on this appreciated. The noise happens either stationary, slowing or accelerating. So far we haven't heard it at speed cruising. The issue is it is short and random so cannot replicate at will.

Cheers,
    James
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
  • m1s3ry
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Kalorama, VIC.

We had a customers NS in today for the same problem. It's the HBB/ABS failing, it's not the normal pump noise, but it sounds like a grinding motor/pump for about half to one second. Seems to happen randomly, but i could replicate it but pumping the brake several times with the car running. With someone else working the brake i held the HBB in 2 different places and i could distinctly feel it through the system.
    Steele Perkins (#1263)
    NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• Axis
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2011
      • Highett Vic

Originally posted by m1s3ry View Post
      We had a customers NS in today for the same problem. It's the HBB/ABS failing, it's not the normal pump noise, but it sounds like a grinding motor/pump for about half to one second. Seems to happen randomly, but i could replicate it but pumping the brake several times with the car running. With someone else working the brake i held the HBB in 2 different places and i could distinctly feel it through the system.
      Thanks. I just went out to check and couldn't replicate the noise. I did find that 20 to 25 pumps of the brake ends up with ASC, ABS, Stability and handbrake lights on.

Are you replacing the HBB on the customer's car?

Edit: Found these threads on HBB motor replacement.

Cheers,
      James
      Last edited by Axis; 05-07-17, 01:05 AM.
      07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• m1s3ry
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Kalorama, VIC.

We haven't decided what we're going to do yet, i've gotta do some research this weekend.
        Steele Perkins (#1263)
        NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• newbs
          • May 2018
          • Mildura vic

Hi what did you end up doing to this car to fix the problem as mine is doing the same thing and have been quoted over 3k to replace abs unit any help would be apprieciated.

Comment

• Axis
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2011
            • Highett Vic

Hi newbs,

we haven't done anything with ours yet.... others have had the motor rewound or replaced rather than the whole unit.

CHeers,
            James

Comment

• newbs
              • May 2018
              • Mildura vic

Ok this fault is on a few threads on this site, 1 Person has got rid of the fault by putting 3 bottles of brake fluid through the system and his noise has gone I will have to give this a go.

Comment

• benckj
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2017
                • Alexandra , New Zealand

After replacing my HBB motor I have a similar sound along with vibration on brake pedal. Brought back into mechanic and he re-bled the brakes which made it vibrate less. I believe it’s air in the ABS that can be very hard to remove.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X