• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Downunder35m
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2011
    • Near Melbourne

Cleaning old, yellow plastic parts

I noticed that my covers on the spotties turned quite yellow.
    First step was a slight polish, which not just just removed some of the staining but also gave them a clearer look.
    But even with the polish designed to clean old lamps it was next to impossible to get them crystal clear again.
    As a last resort I made a mix of pool chlorine, alcohol and peroxide to soak them over night and I am now quite happy with the result.
    There is still a slight discoloration in the center caused by the intense UV from the HID lamp but it is acceptable.
    I was wondering if there are other solutions to remove yellow staining that don't involve using chlorine gas or stuff that makes the house smell like someone cleaned a homicide scene?
    What are your recipies to clean old plastics to give them a new lease of life?
    '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
    Password for all my files: downunder
  • Shopping Trolley
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Brisbane

Gumption or the Jiff cream. Works a treat and doesn't scratch the light covers. It didn't even take off the light force logo.
    2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• MTN-KAT
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Gold Coast

Toothpaste! Haven't used it as mine are glass and no spotties, but daughter Rav4 are plastic and sunned out. When I youtube'd for a solution there was an example of how good a job toothpaste can do. Downunder may have got it as good as it gets (hey, I'm sure there is a movie by that name). I have used WD40 on them and makes a noteable difference. Puts oil back in the surface.
      99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Downunder35m
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2011
        • Near Melbourne

I found a nice recipe online that showed very good results on game consoles and computer parts.
        Only problem is that it involves some quite agressive chemicals, worst about it the use of chlorine gas to get a reaction in the cleaning solution.
        Bit short on stained plastics now but I will test it when I get a chance and experiment with different ways of getting chlorine in the solution.
        Will update once I found something that does the job quick and easy.
        Toothpaste was something I tried earlier but had no luck on clear plastics like polycarbonate and ABS.
        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2013
          • Brisbane

I started with the toothpaste on advice from the 4wd shop. I got good results but quickly realised it was going to be an expensive process (approx. 10 years on the front of various cars will make them fairly yellow). That's when I tried the jiff and it worked a treat. The toothpaste did smell good though.
          2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• vladguan
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Adelaide

I would like to add that Meguiars paint cleaner is also very good at it. I used it on wife's old Ford Festiva with milky headlights and it cleared up like almost new. Plastic restoration/back to black may also work. It gets rid of surface oxidation etc.
            Please call me Vlad.
            -----------------------
            MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• blackdragon
              • Apr 2014
              • tennant creek, NT

[QUOTE]What are your recipies to clean old plastics to give them a new lease of life?[/QUOTE]

I'd need to check with the ex wife, I remember most of the off the shelf body soaps didn't work on her
              '91 NH SWB (import) intercooled turbo 4D56T, Manual, factory mags 31x10.5 15's, alloy bulbar, snorkel, UHF, Rhino alloy rack, sunroof, bonnet bug deflector, LED light bars, driving lights, air bags, new shockies, polished stainless rear ladder, GPS, on board air, telescopic rear light, 60ltr fridge/freezer, dual battery system plus aux batteries, comprehensive set gauges, security system, air horns, on board solar panels, roof lightbar/spotties, worklights, towbar, rear bumper lights,

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by blackdragon View Post
                [QUOTE]What are your recipies to clean old plastics to give them a new lease of life?[/QUOTE]

I'd need to check with the ex wife, I remember most of the off the shelf body soaps didn't work on her
                HAHAHA ...Your not using her nickname as your username are you?

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• blackdragon
                  • Apr 2014
                  • tennant creek, NT

....ummm nope
                  '91 NH SWB (import) intercooled turbo 4D56T, Manual, factory mags 31x10.5 15's, alloy bulbar, snorkel, UHF, Rhino alloy rack, sunroof, bonnet bug deflector, LED light bars, driving lights, air bags, new shockies, polished stainless rear ladder, GPS, on board air, telescopic rear light, 60ltr fridge/freezer, dual battery system plus aux batteries, comprehensive set gauges, security system, air horns, on board solar panels, roof lightbar/spotties, worklights, towbar, rear bumper lights,

Comment

• bacon
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Australia

Just about any car polish with a little cutting action will do .I know the local repair shop uses " T Cut "

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by blackdragon View Post
                      Reminds of a bloke I used to know who called his wife's make-up 'antique-restorer'!
                      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• vladguan
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Adelaide

Just to confirm back to black works. I used it on the spoiler of my old car before trading it in as it appeared to have clear coat damage but most likely oxidation and it restored it nicely. As with anything test in a small area first.
                        Please call me Vlad.
                        -----------------------
                        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

I use a heat gun on faded black plastic. Recently rejuvenated a fishing tackle box. Came up like brand new. Its an old trick that has been around for a long time. Just be careful using the heat gun. Too much heat can cause melting. Have seen it used on many a black plastic bumper bar wit outstanding results.
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• blackdragon
                            • Apr 2014
                            • tennant creek, NT

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
                            Reminds of a bloke I used to know who called his wife's make-up 'antique-restorer'!
                            you know your ex is so old when she signs up with a match making web site and gets refused because they don't do carbon dating

Comment

• Downunder35m
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2011
                              • Near Melbourne

There is a reason why boats always have female names.....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X