• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PommieSteve
    • May 2010
    • EP

Question on fuel consumption

Hi

I haven't posted here before but read a lot but now have a problem of my own

I've owned my Pajero for about 6 months and haven't had any problems so far however I've noticed that my fuel consumption has gone up loads...

I drive steadily most of the time and don't go beyond 3000rpm but at the moment i'm getting less than 600k's from one tank. At the mo i've done 400k's and 3/4 of the tank is gone. Is this normal? I could swear that when i first bought the car i'd was getting around 700k's from 75 litres

Any pointers would be great. Oh yeah it's a 94 Gen 2, 3litre V6 ECI if that helps!
  • evileerf
    • Oct 2010
    • Australia(+61)

what mods have you done since you got it?

Comment

• PommieSteve
      • May 2010
      • EP

Hi evileerf

I should have added that as far as i can tell there are no mods on this. Pretty much factory standard.

Comment

• brettmini
        • Nov 2010
        • st george

Run some Injector cleaner through it. and run it on BP Ultimate

Comment

• evileerf
          • Oct 2010
          • Australia(+61)

so YOU have not swapped tyres/wheels added bullbars etc?

Check your airfilter - dirt roads will fill the element with air robbing dust

Comment

• jackpaj
            • Nov 2010
            • campbelltown

a lot of talk about high fuel consumption on this awesome forum seems to always have refeerence leading to a faulty O2 sensor.
            Maybe worth a check about $100 for a new one aparently.

Comment

• PommieSteve
              • May 2010
              • EP

Oh ok. I've changed the back set of tyres but that's it.

Also I've had two services... the first when i bought it and the second after 10k k's. Everything was fine... But I'll clean out the air filter with a compressor tomorrow at work. Would it really make that much of a difference though?

Sorry for the newbie questions and thanks for the responses.

Comment

• UndeadHomer
                • Feb 2010
                • Perth, WA

check also

- additonal weight (drawer system ? recovery gear in the rear ?)
                - roof rack
                - lower fuel quality (changed the servo brand ?)
                97 Pajero NK GLS, 3.5L Auto... 33x12.5 Bighorns on 15x8, 2" Suspension Lift (Lovell / Bilstein / Tough Dog), 170 Narva Spotties, homemade Rear Storage System, homemade Top Roof Console, ARB onboard compressor, UHF, Redarc Dual Battery Setup, Rear Working Light, 300W Inverter, Full size Rhino roof rack

Comment

• ravofireman
                  • Jun 2010
                  • tasmania

far out 700klm frm 75 liters,,

Wish i had them figures,

I am only gettin 450 a tank of 70 odd liters,
                  1990 NG SWB -- mods coming soon --

1992 NH 7seater stock as daily driver

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Peakhurst, Sydney

Blocked air-filter can really strangle an engine!

Originally posted by PommieSteve View Post
                    ...But I'll clean out the air filter with a compressor tomorrow at work. Would it really make that much of a difference though?...
                    You'd be amazed how much of a difference it can make! Apart from starving the motor of oxygen, it can cause the ecu to run the fuel-mixture too rich.

My parent's house was on a steep section of road & once a Ford Falcon conked-out half-way up the hill, but when the NRMA eventually arrived, it turned out to be just a badly clogged air-filter stopping the 4.0L 6-cylinder!

Steve
                    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Rendrag
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2010
                      • Central Coast, NSW

Originally posted by ravofireman View Post
                      Wish i had them figures,
                      Yeah, far out, I've never even dreamed it was *possible* (and seriously, I REALLY doubt that it is) to get close to 10L/100km in a 3.0L paj!

Looking at the stats on fuelly (http://www.fuelly.com/car/mitsubishi/pajero/gas%20v6), getting 14-16L/100km is the norm for the 3.0L V6.. I tend to get 14 during the colder months, and 16 during the warmer (aircon running)..

Looks like the SWB's get a bit better, going on fuelly, but then they're a lot smaller and lighter
                      VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
                      Dip.EE, Dip.IT, GradIEAust, Master Cabler
                      '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
                      '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• PommieSteve
                        • May 2010
                        • EP

Originally posted by UndeadHomer View Post
                        check also

- additonal weight (drawer system ? recovery gear in the rear ?)
                        - roof rack
                        - lower fuel quality (changed the servo brand ?)
                        Hardly anything in it at the mo. Stripped a lot of stuff out... swags, bbq etc etc Might be the fuel but it's just kind of happened.

Originally posted by ravofireman View Post

Wish i had them figures,

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
                        You'd be amazed how much of a difference it can make! Apart from starving the motor of oxygen, it can cause the ecu to run the fuel-mixture too rich.

Steve
                        Originally posted by Rendrag View Post
                        Yeah, far out, I've never even dreamed it was *possible* (and seriously, I REALLY doubt that it is) to get close to 10L/100km in a 3.0L paj!
                        I could be way off on this. Memory has always been a little bit dodgy But i'm pretty sure that on the first tank I got nearer 700k's. Way better than what i'm getting now.

Anyway looked at the air filter and it was clean as. Guys at work said maybe the fuel filter needs cleaning out so ill try that in a bit... Also i'm not sure if this is linked but occassionally the engine cuts out when i stop (nope it's not a stall) and the check engine button stays on slightly longer than expected. Just noticed that today hmmm

Thanks for all the feedback

Comment

• damo1
                          • May 2010

I got a 3ltr 5speed and i'm getting realistic k's out of mine i fell.

The best i have got is around 550 towing a camper trailer and the worst i have got doing the same is about 400.

This is my vehicle loaded with 2 adults and two kids + all out gear.

I sit on about 100/105 all the time, this will put the rev range at the magic 3grand.

I am actually happy with my vehicles fuel consumption whilst under load so i'd be interested to see what it would do just the car and me then??

I'm not convinced that it would be anywhere near your 700kms.
                          GLX NH LWB V6 5 speed, GU springs , cranked tb's, GLS Flare + door moulds, bullbar (moded), 4x spotties, 2x cbs, side steps, camp light, custom snorkel, qtr chop, broken windscreen- and full of kids NNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEE!!!!

Comment

• xsm
                            • Mar 2010
                            • ACT

My 3.5 auto NL gets about 12 L/100km on the highway at 110kmh and about 16 L/100km around town. (not towing)

Therefore i can safely bank on 700kms on the highway and 500kms around town.

BUT, just for the record, the odometres and speedometres in these things are not accurate. When my speedo indicates 110kmh I'm actually only doing about 103kmh. the odometre overeads by about 3% so for every 100km on the odometre I've actually only done about 97km.
                            Sold my faithful old NL Paj as of July 2015. Moved over to an MU-X. Fond memories of the Paj. Was just to heavy on fuel for towing the van.

Comment

• DocNJ
                              • Aug 2010
                              • Hobart,Tas.

I have a NJ 3.0 5 spd. It has 2.5" cat back exhaust. Had 35" tires on it and would get just over 400k's to a tank(92 litres). Recently changed to 31" tires for daily driving and last tank got about 550k's. That is combined city/highway driving.

I see a lot of people chasing better fuel economy from their V6 Paj. My advice is buy a diesel.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X